Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SquareUP for iPad

Hey guys,

Who out there uses Square Up? I just signed up for it and won't have my card reader for another week or so, but I downloaded the app onto my iPad, made a bunch of items and whatnot and tested it out. I can't believe it sends free text messages or an email to your customers as a receipt, if they'd like one! And the reader is free, and they only take something like 2.75% of each transaction, that seems VERY reasonable. Who out there has some reviews or opinions with this system? I love it works for cash as well and you can view your history at any time, issue immediate refunds, and the money is in your account the following business day. I'm trying to not be too excited, as I'm sure there has to be some horror stories, so anyone else out there have any pros/cons about this way of processing payments?

Works fine for me! Even used it at tw for transactions.

Kale

Comment

I borrowed a friends Ipad at the show and used square on it. It was awesome! best advance in haunt technology in 10 years. It takes credit cards and it will send a reciept to guests even if they paid cash. Two days after returning from the show...I bought an ipad. Now my monster museum will take credit cards at the ren faire, and my haunt will take cards at the counter as opposed to having guests walk 100ft to an ATM.
      www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
      http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

yes yes yes. i completly and whole heartedly endorse this method. we used this on all of our transactions at TW. Quck and easy and really got everyone in and at of the booth in a timely manner. I too bought an ipad as soon as i returned home so we have 2 at all times.
        Tim McCall

Comment

Maybe wise to invest in a Kiosk to hold it so someone doesn't walk off with your ipad or drop it and then sales are done for the night. Also prevents hitting the home key.

Comment

Will it store all those emails for a marketing campaign several months later?

Comment

Thank You. That is amazing!
              Randy Russom

www.midstatescare.com
              Mid State Scare - San Luis Obispo and Santa Maria's favorite Haunted House
              2013 - Hmmm, we shall see what gets conjured up

Comment

I'm glad that no one has posted any horror stories! That eases any concern I've had! I can't wait for it to come in, it will be VERY important!

And ooh! That's a great question, I wonder if it does keep the contact information on record, it'd be really handy! I'll send an email to the company to ask.

And we will have a kiosk, and the only person handling our sales is my girlfriend who handles just about all of my money lol, the girls a genius with saving, I wish I was half as good at budgets and handling money wisely as she is haha. The ticket booth is going to be built tougher than a brick shithouse as well, the entire thing is a room of itself, dropbox, VERY thick plexiglass window, blinds for cash drops, the whole nine yards, every security measure we can take we have. I'm not about to let anyone hurt the future Mrs lol

Comment

Went with Intuit

I tried SquareUp and just could not get the card reader to work right - maybe 1 out of every 8-10 tries would work - even swapped the reader 3 times. We ended up going with an Intuit App - which is basically the same thing just a different company and it works great for us so far. I have heard alot of good things about both companies so it sounds like yours works just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by screamforadream View Post
                    I'm glad that no one has posted any horror stories! That eases any concern I've had! I can't wait for it to come in, it will be VERY important!

And ooh! That's a great question, I wonder if it does keep the contact information on record, it'd be really handy! I'll send an email to the company to ask.

And we will have a kiosk, and the only person handling our sales is my girlfriend who handles just about all of my money lol, the girls a genius with saving, I wish I was half as good at budgets and handling money wisely as she is haha. The ticket booth is going to be built tougher than a brick shithouse as well, the entire thing is a room of itself, dropbox, VERY thick plexiglass window, blinds for cash drops, the whole nine yards, every security measure we can take we have. I'm not about to let anyone hurt the future Mrs lol
                    Then how do you plan you have them sign? You might think to use bulletproof resistant Lexan rather then plexiglass with a deal tray and a signing pad.

Comment

Psshhh, like signing is important.

That and I thought signatures were only required for purchases $15 or more? That's how my work does it at least lol. But I tried a test for $20 to check that, (issued a refund 2 seconds later too obviously) and didn't have to sign.

Does anyone know the dollar amount in which Square requires a signature?

Comment

I think the card issuing Bank assumes the risk up to $30 for unsigned sales drafts. Over $30, you, the merchant assume the risk if you decide not to ask for a signature. That is how it used to be in Canada. All face to face merchants have chip readers in Canada now, or they risk liability. Signatures are no longer required, just PIN numbers.

Comment

I've been using square for a long long time and it's a great app! Especially when they were the only CC processors at the time with no fees. Just the flat % which cause Visa and a few other CC companies try to sue them because they saw the winds of change finally hitting them. The only real complaints that I've seen with them was that their scanner wasn't encrypted, so it passed the numbers in the clear to the app. But now they are shipping out encrypted scanners, so if you just signed up, then you should have the new ones. I just signed up to try the PayPal Here service, so I'll be giving a choice to my customers which they want to use and see how different / better the paypal service is. But so far, Square has been great.
                          News and event coverage from directly inside the Haunt Industry - http://www.hauntersdigest.com
                          Get a Website and/or Mobile App for Your Attraction - http://www.charlesterry.com

Comment

I'm assuming this needs the internet correct? I've never owned an apple. Never cared for them. I don't even work on them at my PC shop.

So with my future building not having broadband internet, this probably isn't ideal for us is it?

Dewayne

Comment

The program can be run to keep track of cash transactions with out the use of Internet, to accept cards and send email/text receipts you need Internet. My building doesn't have Internet at the moment, but that's what wifi is for! We're getting a router just for this purpose. Or I may just get an iPad that has 3G or whatever. I could also use it on my phone, but it's not something that I really want to do....for obvious reasons haha.

Comment

Working...
                              X