Prosthetic Making Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prosthetic Making Help

Hey everyone! Theres a character that i'm working on but can't find the pieces anywhere so i thought id make my own. I have watched Allen H's videos on casting and sculpting so i don't need any help with that (Any tips would be appreciated though). What I need help with is the clay. What type of clay should I use? Where can I get from? How much is it? Thanks in advanced.

-Noah
    Last edited by N.Fantom; 03-29-2012, 07:49 PM.

Clay is a matter of great debate. There are two camps for Clay- water based and oil based clay. what kind of clay you use is up to your choice or needs for that particular project. I am a water based clay kind of guy. Here are my (slightly biased) pros and cons
    Water based---------------------------------------------------- Oil based
    softer, easier and faster to work---------------------------------------Fairly firm, normally needs to be heated to be worked heavily
    smooths with water---------------------------------------------------smooths with solvents or alcohol
    holds detail pretty well-------------------------------------------------holds detail really well
    can dry out and crack if left uncovered--------------------------------will never dry out.....well almost never.
    Dirt cheap (actually is dirt) ~$25for 100lbs.----------------------------Fairly expensive ~$10 a pound
    comes in dirt colors and classic grey-----------------------------------comes in maroon, taupe, greenish, brownish
    hardens if heated--------------------------------------------------melts if heated (can be a good thing)
    you can mees up a sculpt accidentialy cause it is soft------------------Harder clay = less smudged sculpts

those are the differences as I recall them. I am a water based guy, but I will do teeth in oil based because the fine points dry out easily in water based, but only if I am not molding within a day or so.
    I hope I wasnt to biased.
    Allen H
    Last edited by Allen H; 03-29-2012, 09:04 PM.
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Thanks Allen. I think that i'll go with water based. It seems much easier to us and allot cheaper(which is probably the most important factor here). Where do you get your clay from? $25 bucks for a hundred pounds sounds like a great deal.

-Noah

Comment

Working...
      X