Controversial Themes in the Bible Belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controversial Themes in the Bible Belt

I'm wondering if anyone in more socially conservative parts of the country might have any experiences they'd like to share with 'pushing the thematic envelope' within that environment. Did you get a backlash? Did it hurt your business? Did it help? Would you do it again?
    Michael Inks
    Geist Entertainment, Inc.
    Visit GEI on Facebook

sigpic

"If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney

Ok,

I know this is not what you are looking for but I had to share. When I was 14 I convinced my nieve church youth group leader to allow me to do a haunted house in the social hall for charity. I setup a floating baby with bloody eyes that was rising out of a tub.... among other inappropriate things. For some reason the church elders decided to tour it after we had already opened for the night. Let's just say there will never ever be a haunted house charity by that church again. Lol!

Black Plastic: $10
    Black Lights: $20
    Look on the old church ladies faces at the scene of a floating demonic baby in the church social hall? PRICELESS!

Sorry if this sounded disrespectful. I was a dumb kid and to this day don't know what the youth group leader was thinking by letting me set it all up... he was an adult.

MrFoos

Comment

I think he is now the youth leader at my church!

No...probably his kid is old enough to be my kids youth leader.

Wicked Farmer

Comment

Those people that protest and complain are not going to visit your haunt no matter how conservative it is. So screw them. Your target customer will come no matter what the bible belters are preaching.
        Joshua
        www.hauntedprints.com
        info?hauntedprints.com

Comment

Nun with a witch hat

She was in our last shack. She operated the Ghost Bust and the Bloody Mary Mirrior (think that was mirriors name). As far as post before mine saying the protestors will not come no matter how conservative you are...correct. The "protestors" will not come. But if that equates to church groups will not come....let me respond will one loud... BULLSHIT! We have church groups bringing bus loads of teens. But they know we are not having a $6.66 special coupon, naked corpses, and so on. They have seen Scarefactory Impaler, Scissor Serpeant, Slayer on the Pediment, Unit 70 Yoggoth, Creeper, and many others. They have seen things come off of a wooden cross come after them.

I will let you in on a secret. I for years would just sit back and snicker quietly at comments like this not wanting to reveal my edge. Well I am established enough thatI'll share it now. Churches actually WANT to bring groups to attractions like mine IF....IF...they know it contains nothing they do not want the youth seeing. You see they KNOW that their kids are exposed to everything any way. They WANT to do things they KNOW the youth want to do; and as long as it does not cross their line they will. They have to...they have to walk that line showing their youth they can have fun. The LAST thing they want to do is instill into their future generations that being Christian is boring..their attendance would plummet. You CAN have a haunt that makes people wet themselves every night and still attract the bus loads of church groups. I have been doing it for years. I have a church over an hour and a half away that loads the bus every year and makes the journey to my Trail of Terror. They heard the reputation of my maze and scheduled a trip over the phone. I explained to them I am a Christian as well and my brother is a pastor and that they would probably like my Trail of Terror as well. I then gave a detailed run through for him over the phone of what to expect and what they WOULD NOT see. As time goes on church youth leaders talk with other area churches...and my attractions info was HAPPILY shared with other church youth leaders. And the bus loads come every year.

Today is Easter...Happy Easter.

Wicked Farmer

Comment

Thanks for the responses. And Wicked, that's interesting about your local youth groups... and encouraging. Maybe progessive thinking youth groups are a sign of things to come. When I was growing up, the biggest baddest haunt in Indianapolis was "Scream in the Dark" sponsored by Youth for Christ. Really an amazing pro quality haunt. In the 90's some folks got a little uptight about it and they had to pull the event. Which, incidentally was a major part of their fund raising budget. And I certainly don't want to question theirs or anyone else's religious convictions. But as a simple midwestern boy by upbringing, I am interested in folks experiences within the deep humid south.
            Last edited by Michael Inks; 04-08-2012, 12:14 PM.
            Michael Inks
            Geist Entertainment, Inc.
            Visit GEI on Facebook

sigpic

"If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney

Comment

Wicked Farmer.... What's your haunt?
              Joshua
              www.hauntedprints.com
              info?hauntedprints.com

Comment

My haunt..

Bestmaze Corn Maze is the non-scary attraction. Trail of Terror is the haunt.
                www.bestmaze.com

Wicked Farmer

Comment

Very cool. It's amazing what designs you can make out of a corn field.
                  Joshua
                  www.hauntedprints.com
                  info?hauntedprints.com

Comment

Working...
                  X