Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just signed my lease, any tips for a first year pro haunt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just signed my lease, any tips for a first year pro haunt?

I just signed my lease and got a 4500 sq ft place (3500 sq ft is for the haunt). It's on a major road which is great and has ample parking. It only has stairs in the front but does have a long metal ramp in the back at the loading dock. It has 3 bathrooms one of which is handicap accessible. I'm hoping the ramp and the bathroom are adequate for ADA regulations.

As for fire equipment I talked to the fire marshall before I signed the lease and he said to make sure I had fire sprinklers, a hand pull fire system and fire alarms as well as multiple exits. I have all of those things in this house which is great.

Lastly before I signed the lease I went to the county and asked what they want from me to make sure it can be zoned properly. They took care of the zoning right there and then so zoning is taken care of. I was told the only thing I have left to do in their eyes is get a drawing to scale of the haunt.

With all of that is there anything you guys see I may have missed or overlooked?

I'm putting everything I have into this so I really want to make sure I don't get shut down because I missed a step. Any and all help would be much appreciated.

fire and zoning are you 2 biggest. Did you get approval fro nearby businesses? Here anyone within a 100ft has to be contacted.

Comment

Congratulations! It's pretty small at 3500 square feet so make it really detailed and have great scares but keep the price pretty low, I'm think $10 a ticket unless you have incredible stuff and scares you may be able to get up to $12.

Good luck!

DA

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
        but keep the price pretty low, I'm think $10 a ticket unless you have incredible stuff and scares you may be able to get up to $12.
        I wasn't aware there was a national price formula based on the square footage of the haunt.
        Last edited by mrfoos; 04-10-2012, 09:49 PM.

Comment

That is awesome. Can't wait to see some build pics!

Good Luck.
          Joshua
          www.hauntedprints.com
          info?hauntedprints.com

Comment

Lol, well just think about it, a 3400sqft haunt can be GREAT!! But at that size you really do need the most quality you can possibly have, it will take maybe 5-7minutes to go through. If it wasn't your haunt, what would you pay for it?

But, on the upside, I can't wait to see pics! I really hope you keep a thread going, I plan on doing the same. =)

I think you covered everything, unless you have something like a vortex tunnel or anything that involves people going through, over, under, or around, moving mechanical pieces, you need to get that inspected as an amusement ride, (basically vortex tunnels like i stated, a spinning floor, hellavator, etc). That's the only other thing you might have to worry about, should you have any of the above. =)

Comment

Originally posted by HauntedPaws View Post
              fire and zoning are you 2 biggest. Did you get approval fro nearby businesses? Here anyone within a 100ft has to be contacted.
              Good to know. My landlord owns all the business's within 1000 ft and was told it was no problem, but definitely a good point to think of. Thanks.

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
              Congratulations! It's pretty small at 3500 square feet so make it really detailed and have great scares but keep the price pretty low, I'm think $10 a ticket unless you have incredible stuff and scares you may be able to get up to $12.

Good luck!

DA
              Thanks As for price I was looking to charge $10. I figured that was a pretty fair price and would do well in this economy being cheaper. I plan on working on making this extremely realistic and gory. I'm focusing on an older crowd.

Originally posted by mrfoos View Post
              I wasn't aware there was a national price formula based on the square footage of the haunt.
              I'm glad he made me aware of the national price formula

Originally posted by Haunted Prints (EOM) View Post
              That is awesome. Can't wait to see some build pics!

Good Luck.
              Thank you, I can't wait to get started.

Anyone else have any good advise or tips please post up. I really appreciate all the help.

Comment

Originally posted by screamforadream View Post
                Lol, well just think about it, a 3400sqft haunt can be GREAT!! But at that size you really do need the most quality you can possibly have, it will take maybe 5-7minutes to go through. If it wasn't your haunt, what would you pay for it?

But, on the upside, I can't wait to see pics! I really hope you keep a thread going, I plan on doing the same. =)

I think you covered everything, unless you have something like a vortex tunnel or anything that involves people going through, over, under, or around, moving mechanical pieces, you need to get that inspected as an amusement ride, (basically vortex tunnels like i stated, a spinning floor, hellavator, etc). That's the only other thing you might have to worry about, should you have any of the above. =)
                Good points. I never knew that hallavators or things like that were considered amusement. I was considering that but I think I'll keep away from that this year just to keep the zoning aspect in check. Would claustrophobia halls be considered amusement?

You're right it does need to be detailed. I've got a few tricks up my sleeve to make this last longer and scare the crap out of people. I'm estimating it to take 10-12 minutes to go through. However I could be wrong.

I'll definitely be posting up pics. I'll let you know the ups and downs so you have a good plan for when you do yours.

Comment

Congrats on your contract.

I know you mentioned "talking" to the fire marshal but you really need them to come out and "physically see" the place. Walk thru the building with them and express your ideas of what your plans are. What looks good on paper can sometimes be a total surprise in person (this goes for any inspectors). Get aquainted with them and show you're there for them. You inviting them out before even getting started will show them you are serious AND concerned of doing it right and to their specs. Then after the build, reinvite them to come visit. Believe me, it will make a difference. Inspectors are the best friends to have

I owned a dark ride and had the "amusement inspectors" (Dept of Labor). If you do choose something in the amusement industry, keep all parties (inspectors) informed. For me, the amusement inspectors were easy to work with, if you get with them early, not just after you did something.

For the most part, if you keep the inspectors/marshalls involved with everything "from the start", you will be surprised how much easier life can be.

Good luck with your haunt.
                  Tom
                  Creator of the Dungeon
                  WWW.BRICKTOWNAMUSEMENT.COM

Comment

Claustrophobia doesn't count as an amusement, or at least not here, and we have some pretty strict rules in CT.

But dont just do the squeeze walls, take the onadira way out and use half a claustrophobia wall and mount it on the top of your wall panels, your customers are more likely to react to that way of doing it because EVERYONE knows about the regular way...

Comment

Make sure your actors are hired well in advance and properly trained. they are the backbone of your haunt. All the permits, props, animatronics, and scenes won't matter if your actors are terrible or unmotivated...
                      http://www.bigscaryshow.com
                      http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

Get those plans into the city! Ours came back 3 times the first year with them wanting or needing different things. Haunts are not something they encounter everyday and it is a learning process for all. Be prepared for anything they might throw at you.

Best of luck to you!! It is the hardest, but definitely one of the most rewarding things I have ever done.
                        http://darkscares.com/

sigpic

Comment

Newbie in FLorida TOO!!

What part of Florida??
                          I'm down in the southwest and I'm planning a maze about the same size +/-4000 SF.

I have partnered with a costume shop so I don't have to deal with biz license and the only only thing the
                          Local Gov. says I need is, well really nothing as long as I have under 500 people at a time there are no inspections required.

It sounds to good to be true but I can't find anyone to contridict this info.
                          THere is a permit required and proof of insurance and a seperate permit if I put up a tent over 10' sq.

LJ

Comment

Florida?

Hey guys it is my second year and I am just outside of Sarasota Florida if you guys want any help just Private Message me and I will help both of you as much as I can. I am also a General Contractor so if you have any building questions I usualy can help with those as well. We did just under 8K in attendance our first year.

Good Luck
                            Shawn
                            http://www.twistedwoods.com

Comment

Congratulations on your new haunt

Hello,

I just wanted to congratulate you on your new haunt. I had spoken with you last fall and you really seemed to enjoy building your home haunt. I am happy to hear you made the leap towards building a pro haunt. I look forward to seeing it.

Good Luck,
                              Robert Travis
                              Scenic Art Productions
                              ScenicArtProductions@Yahoo.COM
                              http://www.facebook.com/scenicartproductions

Comment

Working...
                              X