Fog machine suitable for outdoors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fog machine suitable for outdoors?

I need some advice from you outdoors haunts. What is the best fog machine or fluid to use in an outdoor setting? It's pretty well covered with bushes around but I know if it's windy nothing is going to keep it around but what is a fog machine or method to use or is a hazer better, what do you recommend? I want to create a London fog look without having to buy those super expensive units the parks use.

thanks
    Jake

Haze vs Fog

There is a big difference between haze and fog. The haze is really designed for lighting and laser shows by putting particles in the air that "hang" around for awhile (provided the air conditioning or the wind doesn't suck them up). Its what makes the laser beams look so cool at a good rock and roll show. The fog machine on the other hand is going to put out a consistent and thick smoke that as it dissipates takes on a more fog-like consistency. Again, the trick is going to be in the wind. Another consideration is the area you want to fog-up. The larger the area and fog volume, the bigger machine you need. Also consider the amount of fog (duration of output). I know I didn't answer the initial question - probably just generated more questions but hope it helps.
    Travis "Big T" Russell
    President
    Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

We too are searching for solutions to managing fog in a outdoor setting. Anxiously awaiting a fog expert to weigh in...
      Michael Inks
      Geist Entertainment, Inc.
      Visit GEI on Facebook

sigpic

"If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney

Comment

Hose it

Originally posted by Michael Inks View Post
        We too are searching for solutions to managing fog in a outdoor setting. Anxiously awaiting a fog expert to weigh in...
        I got this idea from Haunted Overload and am not sure it fits with your application but we run fog through a hose (drain pipe hose) and cut holes in the piping at intervals. Works great in our Graveyard.

Found EBAY fog machines for $20 a piece last year. A bunch of those can be had for the price of one great fog machine, but for outdoors and using the hose , it worked out pretty cool.

Ed Z
        Haunted Lehman Park

Comment

I find that a lot of cheap machines dispersed through out the haunt makes for a good effect without breaking the bank on a giant machine. Depending on the weather, the fog from all the different spots merges together and hangs nicely if conditions are right. I have never paid over $150.00 for a fog machine, good thing because 2 got stolen from the haunt last year.

Even if you have to buy 10 each year like this one. http://www.amazon.com/Eliminator-Lig...ref=pd_cp_MI_1

I bought 4 of these last year and they worked great. These are the kind of results I get from doing this. I put most of the foggers (about 10 of them on full blast about half an hour before opening) The only drawback is filling them all night about once every hour to be safe depending on how high each one is set.

Plastic tubs cover them all from the rain. A large hole is cut in the side of the tub to let the fog out. They all sat outside for a month.

I go through about 80 gallons of Froggy's swamp juice a season. Their fog is really good, I will use nothing else, but you have to shake it up if it is cold because it can separate and clog the machines.

Always have a few spares on hand because some will fail. I had a few Chauvet 1300's fail this year but that was expected. I just hooked up the spares when they did. They really pump out the fog when they work.

One last thing. Most of the cheap ones you have to tape or zip tie the on button to full blast and just leave it. They will cycle one and off when they are ready. Also clean them out after the season.

Hope this helps.

Eric

www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

I think pretty much any fog machine will work outside... however what I would do is build a protective box around them, and where the fog sprays out you can use chicken wire or something. You don't want customers touching a hot fog machine or the machine to get rained on so that is what I would do. Larry
            Larry Kirchner
            President
            www.HalloweenProductions.com
            www.BlacklightAttractions.com
            www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
            www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

The plastic tubs you get a Walmart work great for covering the foggers. Just cut a hole where the fog comes out. You're right, foggers and rain don't mix too well.
              www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

Off topic just a bit. But let me give some advice for storing fog machines. Get some of those plastic tubs at wally farts with lids that clamp. Put them in there. DO NOT just let them set in your closet, do not put them in card board boxes lol,

We NEVER had mice in this storage building we got. Never had xmas paper torn up, never had boxes chewed through, nothing. We have 5 fog machines, all starting at the $80 price range. But either way, all of them have to be gone through! We have cords chewed through now, the tubing has to be replaced, and one STILL HAS A DEAD MOUSE in the dam thing. I just want to know how he got the lid off. But either way, take some care into storing them. We may have lost some bucks on ours because we just assumed mice wouldn't get into them because we've never had an issue, until now.

Comment

Buy yourself a few high output fog machines, such as a F-100, build a box around it that's rainproof and your done. My f-100 can fog our entire outdoor scenes in about two minutes. It's all bout the machine. As for hazers, those are for indoor use primarily. They won't do anything outside.

Comment

Some great info in this thread. And, wow, Haunted Overload... amazing pics.
                    Michael Inks
                    Geist Entertainment, Inc.
                    Visit GEI on Facebook

sigpic

"If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney

Comment

Fog machines

Hello and i agree with Eric we had 2 martin 2000's and 1 1500, One of the 2000's failed 3rd week and the 1500 which i bought used also failed at some point. but a brand new 2000 failed in just 5 nights of use. So we went to the local music store and bought 2 American DJ 1200 watt foggers to replace them and you know what thoes 160 dollar foggers lasted the rest of the season without a hicup. So I would agree whith the smaller cheeper fogers and more of them and the black ribbed pipe for storm dranige is the best way to distribute the fog. If the wind shifts and it will you just move some pipe around and drill some more holes where needed and duct tape the holes you dont need and your back in the thick of it. And Froggy's Swamp Juice is the best that we have used we went through around 60 gallons of it. We also bought a 3000 watt fog machine and i would still stay with 2 1200 watt fog machines anyday. Hope that helps and good luck.

Shawn
                      http://www.twistedwoods.com

Comment

Yes, I have had very good luck with American DJ 1200's as well. I like to incorporate fog into scenes to increase the dramatic effect. The bonus is that it adds to all the other fog over the 4 acres.

I had an American DJ 1200 in the mouth, an eliminator 700 in the eyes and a Chauvet 1300 blowing out the top of this one.

Eliminator 7oo in this big pumpkin.

Inside the woods.

Outside near the parking lot and first queue line. It really sets the mood. This all drifted from inside the haunt, no foggers out here.
                        www.hauntedoverload.com

Comment

So much info! Thanks you guys are great!

Jake

Comment

Working...
                          X