Newbie!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Greg,

Thanks, we may just expand off that swamp story line...I like that. The bath salts thing is rrreally scary!!! :x Thanks for your suggestions. ..hope your feeling better. Any other ideas out there???
    Jim Pashley
    The FEAR FACTORY
    www.thefearfactorynj.com
    855-NJ HAUNT
    sigpic
    "WE MANUFACTURE NIGHTMARES"

Comment

Jeeze-louize! We are definitely mapping out some seriously crazy terroritory . . . I like it!!

Okay, new idea (while I go off and have a bit of a think about this). In the simpliest of terms, since you started kinda close to there to begin with, and since the ideas were kinda converging anyway, why not simply have a matched set? Iow, have what might be a megahaunt in two parts. The first haunt is the plantation idea, or, rather plantation style house . . . doesn't need to be real plantation-y, if you will, but can be more along the lines of . . . . eh, wait . . .

OKAY, GOT IT!!!!!! SWEET!!!

Alright, two haunts: a) The Family Home; & b) The Truck-Stop out front, which heads off into the swamp campground, a la Greg's brill suggestion. Greg's "ancient evil"? Cthulhu, the Ancient One!

The two themes: a) Welcome To The Family (Psycho, House of 1000 Corpses, TTCM); & b) Ancient Evil Awoken (From Dusk Til Dawn, Prince of Darkness, In the Mouth of Madness, Exorcist, Omen).

The two settings: a) Plantation Style Manor (ref: '03 Texas Chainsaw Massacre) fashioned into a "cozy" B'n'B, with flesh and bone furniture; & b) Truck-Stop fronting Greg's crazy swamp horrors.

The two motifs: a) '03 "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" meets Arkham Asylum & Miskatonic U; & b) '09 "Friday the 13th" meets "From Dusk Til Dawn" meets "Gator Bait" meets Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos.

The two sets of monsters: a) "The Family" - cult high priests/esses and usual suspects; & b) ". . . and Their Minions" - worshipers of their Cthulhu-Cult, who do their bidding, plus various swamp monsters.

The parents could be prepping to be sacrificed when they are interrupted by the hitchhikers or broken down travellers (the patrons). "Oh, why, do drop in!" The Ancient Evil is alluded to in the first haunt and is perhaps only a figment of their imaginations, or derrangement, or delusions. Watch the '03 "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" for reference, and re-imagine them as stereotypical "bible-thumpin' fundamentalists", only they are "necronomicon-thumpin' cthulhuists", if you will (ref: last scenes of "Rosemary's Baby"), and gradually you can salt the sets with torn out pages from the necronomicon, and then start smearing cthulhu incantation glyphs on the walls in blood, and so on.

You can even sneak a little black-light or UV into the mix by having a room lit only with a TV left on, to a blank station with white static, illuminating a wall of blood smeared glyphs, and then when the patrons get halfway thru the room, a UV strobe hidden in the TV starts strobing, revealing hidden writing in UV sensitive paint that says "Y'all R Dead!" and "Hiz Got Yer Soul!" emblazoned all across the wall in various print sizes. That's a very cheap effect to achieve, and it would look wicked cool. You could even scrawl a thumb nail sketch of Cthulhu in amongst the UV captions, which would be rather unsettling. You might want to also offset this with a loud animal roar of some sort, like a cross between a pig squeal and Regan's demonic, possessed caterwaul from "The Exorcist", hitting them from behind from where ever their attention is directed. Whatever the sound is, just make sure it's loud and shrill, like running fingernails across a chalkboard.

In the second haunt, we discover that apparently that Ancient Evil is, in fact, real. Not only that, the campground behind the Truck-Stop is built over the resting place of Ancient Ones who are hibernating deep in the ground, waiting to be awoken so they can reek havoc on the Earth. If you want to add zombies to the mix, have them be proper voodoo zombies, under a spell to do their Masters' bidding, and showing signs of hosting the Ancient Evil; vs. simply being undead or infected by a virus (which, frankly, is way overdone, unless of course you are making a proper go of doing a Zombie Apocalypse). We have all of the evil minions doing their psychotic thrall thing, and that would adequate, but if budget permits, you could also have all sorts of various swamp creatures, like that hogzilla animatronic you were asking about, tho I wouldn't blow big bucks on that until you can determine if you can make it yourself for less.

If you can get more into swamp creatures along with the possessed minions, you can start with basic animals and then evolve into more demonic Lovecraftian creatures. You might also be able to work in some sort of Lovecraftian styled Were-Boar, for instance, which would be interesting. That would take the concept of Hogzilla to a whole new level. There is also the temptation to do a stilt-costumed Cthulhu, but unless you can pull that off convincingly, I wouldn't go there. He'd have to be at least 10' to be convincing, and he would have to look super cool. Some cheapo bat wings and a rubber octopus on someone's head would definitely not cut it.

To recap, in the first haunt, you have the plantation style home straight out of TTCM, the horror within superficially disguised as a B'n'B, where different rooms have the remains of past guests, and we gradually go from Psycho to Delusional as we start seeing a cult scenario start to unfold, and realize that this family is not only cannibalizing, but self-cannibalizing, not to mention self-messianic.

In the second haunt, we go thru the Family's truck-stop, and things don't seem right, building atmosphere. Nothing scary needs to happen. We just build anticipation, and set the stage. The TV in the diner is left on, which starts setting up the story. This could be queue line, or this could be the first room. I'd keep it first room, so you don't break up the cool atmosphere with a hall monitor reciting the rules. Either way, the hard core scares start coming when we make our way thru the kitchen, out the back door of the truck-stop and into a picnic area, where we get a closer look at the various food and fixin's, seeing evidence of cannibalism, and encounter our first victim, or perhaps our first monster. We walk thru that section, and follow a trail leading into a campground which was ill-advisedly built into a swamp, and over the resting place of some Lovecraft "Ancient Ones", and then gradually everything goes downhill from there, devolving into swamp-bait madness, per Greg's various ideas.

See, you now have all the proper elements to make a great haunt, and you haven't spent a single dime. That, my friend, is the $4 Fix.

More in a bit . . .

C.

Btw, the Family's name? "The Geinys." The name of the Truck-Stop? "Mama Geiny's Happy Highway Hospitality Truck-Stop, Campgrounds, and Grill."
      Last edited by BrotherMysterio; 06-03-2012, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Okay

Under the swamp where no one can actually see, is a portal to another planet in another dimension and this is where all this crap really lives and has crept into this area. The hyroglyphs warning of all of these things is more like several wall sized stone tablets the size of stonehenge with carvings (a tribute to the vampire bible in the Blade movies)

A relatively small RV trailer seems to have had a large hole ripped out of one side and by going inside you walk through and is is a vortex tunnel in a parallel time line. The military had decades earlier been canning Chulthu in 55 gallon drums and it looks like a few broke open and some are steaming with fog coming out. The evil can appear and disappear because they have command of this time like shift and being right next to you in another dimensional frequency.

The locals have known just how often to feed the evil ones and that is how they stay safe, by being good servants but those that wander by are there for feeding time.

Then for no reason what so ever (because there is a movie coming out) Abraham Lincoln shows up and kills everything and leads the groups to safety. Everyone is relieved and calms down a little then come to find the happy birthday clowns are really evil too and have chainsaws and for some reason also have photon backs from Ghostbusters. Little diaramas of dogs and cats living together end the walk out. You can have $2 photos taken with Zule, the ancient summarian god mentioned in the Tobein spirit guide.

Everyone leaves with a token decoder ring that they will need to decipher any messages they might get by text message a year later around this time. Feeding season.

Other little details are the zombies come back up because they were in the ground and that is how they were effected and some come up like the James Bond Movie, You only live twice on little elevators and everyone does a dance.

The pamphlete with the complete back story is available in the gift shop for $4. There is also a Chulthu repellant spray available for $2.99 per can. Along with plush toys of all of the monsters ranging from $5.99 to $32.99 boasting only domestic fillers.

And in the parking lot you only then know it is over because a fat lady sings.
        sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Okay, you have 19 days until the TV cameras are here, BUILD IT!
          sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Chrise View Post
            Okay, you have 19 days until the TV cameras are here, BUILD IT!
            Greg & C.,

Holy smokes...don't you guys ever sleep?! You two have some great ideas. C, I've already re-drawn the whole print to incorporate the Truck Stop & Swamp on one side with the TCM type house on the other...love it! We are going to do some sort of "to be continued" or "this way to the B & B" on the way out of the Truck Stop. Absolutely tying the two attractions together is the way to go here. With "Pa" tending to the farm house / B & B while bee hive "Ma" runs the Truck Stop. Pa trying to keep the family secrets (TCM) & Ma trying to keep the lid on whats boiling over at the swamp. You two have been great helping me get off on the right foot...truly appreciate it! With those imaginations you two should write children's books! LOL And Greg your not kidding 19 days...sure feels like what I'm up against. Well I'm fine tuning before I fly out to Ohio on Thursday afternoon...my first time there, really looking forward to it. Either one of you two going to the convention? I better get back to the drawing board...literally!

P.
            Jim Pashley
            The FEAR FACTORY
            www.thefearfactorynj.com
            855-NJ HAUNT
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for giving them the courage to write children's books......everyone pray for all those innocent children...LOL. ;-)

If I'm ever around, I'd love to check out your attraction while you're up and running, sounds like you're really going all out! I can't wait to see it come to life, don't forget to post construction pics up here!

Comment

Originally posted by pickle View Post
                Greg & C.,

Holy smokes...don't you guys ever sleep?! You two have some great ideas. C, I've already re-drawn the whole print to incorporate the Truck Stop & Swamp on one side with the TCM type house on the other...love it! We are going to do some sort of "to be continued" or "this way to the B & B" on the way out of the Truck Stop. Absolutely tying the two attractions together is the way to go here. With "Pa" tending to the farm house / B & B while bee hive "Ma" runs the Truck Stop. Pa trying to keep the family secrets (TCM) & Ma trying to keep the lid on whats boiling over at the swamp. You two have been great helping me get off on the right foot...truly appreciate it! With those imaginations you two should write children's books! LOL And Greg your not kidding 19 days...sure feels like what I'm up against. Well I'm fine tuning before I fly out to Ohio on Thursday afternoon...my first time there, really looking forward to it. Either one of you two going to the convention? I better get back to the drawing board...literally!

P.
                Excellent.

Incidentally, I think it's stronger having patrons queue into the Manor first, see the initial carnage, see the occult stuff hinted at, and then, after having established that, the patrons go into the Truck-Stop next, and, having had those initial elements established, then just totally blow the lid off of it, where these supernatural elements are real, the carnage is more extensive than we thought, and pretty much anything goes.

I wouldn't treat the two sections as two separate haunts, but rather two parts or phases of the same haunt, given that there is a definite sequence. You don't want two queue lines, with customers arbitrarily picking one over the other, and then explaining to them that they have to go thru the one haunt to fully appreciate the other. I know Necropolis has three attractions, but it starts with the main one, and then when you finish that one, you enter a waiting area where you can go to the other two haunts. You might try that, or some version of that.

C.

Comment

You kids get away from my ice cream truck! It's all mine! Said the man. The children looked at each other trying to understand what was said.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BrotherMysterio View Post
                    Excellent.

Incidentally, I think it's stronger having patrons queue into the Manor first, see the initial carnage, see the occult stuff hinted at, and then, after having established that, the patrons go into the Truck-Stop next, and, having had those initial elements established, then just totally blow the lid off of it, where these supernatural elements are real, the carnage is more extensive than we thought, and pretty much anything goes.

I wouldn't treat the two sections as two separate haunts, but rather two parts or phases of the same haunt, given that there is a definite sequence. You don't want two queue lines, with customers arbitrarily picking one over the other, and then explaining to them that they have to go thru the one haunt to fully appreciate the other. I know Necropolis has three attractions, but it starts with the main one, and then when you finish that one, you enter a waiting area where you can go to the other two haunts. You might try that, or some version of that.

C.
                    Hey C,

Yeah that's the way were approaching it...two phases. The natural flow of our haunt should pretty much direct the traffic to the Manor/B&B first than to the Truck Stop...should work great together. The facade of our haunt mimics an old factory hence our overall haunt name...FEAR FACTORY. Anyone have any suggestions for some clever names for the two attractions? The first mimicking an old Manor/Bed & Breakfast & the second attraction is a Truck Stop/Grill/Campground? Thanks again for the insight & theme ideas C...very helpful. I've got a lot work ahead of me but looking forward to it.
                    Jim Pashley
                    The FEAR FACTORY
                    www.thefearfactorynj.com
                    855-NJ HAUNT
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pickle View Post
                      Hey C,

Yeah that's the way were approaching it...two phases. The natural flow of our haunt should pretty much direct the traffic to the Manor/B&B first than to the Truck Stop...should work great together. The facade of our haunt mimics an old factory hence our overall haunt name...FEAR FACTORY. Anyone have any suggestions for some clever names for the two attractions? The first mimicking an old Manor/Bed & Breakfast & the second attraction is a Truck Stop/Grill/Campground? Thanks again for the insight & theme ideas C...very helpful. I've got a lot work ahead of me but looking forward to it.
                      Well, once they get inside, the set dressing and design around both haunts can act like the facade for each. Will there be an actual plantation house facade?

I think the name "Geiny Manor and Bed 'n' Breakfast" might work for the first one, or "Ma Geiny's Dewdrop Inn". "Geiny" is a play off of "Gein", as in Ed Gein. Do you know who Ed Gein is/was?

What you might do is just have the attraction be what it is inside, without any fancy facades or marquees, apart from the naturally occurring facade that the set design of the house and the truck-stop make for.

Then, outside, on the main facade, have "Fear Factory presents . . ." and then the name of the two haunts, such as "Evil's B 'n' B" and "Satan's Truck-Stop" or whatever, under it. You could then have artwork evocative of something like Stephen King's "Maximum Overdrive" or something from "Joyride", and so on. In fact, a very evocative look would basically be a billboard, with "Fear Factory presents" in a smaller font in the middle top of the billboard, and then on the left half of the billboard you have the picture of the plantation house with "Hotel from Hell" or whathaveyou emblazoned on the bottom, and on the right side a picture of a truck-stop in front with "truck-stop of terror" emblazoned under that as well. That would be your outside facade, and then when they get inside, they basically see that same scene played out in front of them in the pairing of the two haunts side by side, but without the campy marquees.

Something like this . . .

ush-batesmotel-us.jpgpsycho-house-and-bates-motel-courtesy-cliff1066-on-flickr-cc.jpg

. . . mixed with this . . .

the-texas-chainsaw-massacre-2003-hewitt-house.jpgtruck-stop_0282-500x350.jpgtruck+stop+night.jpg

Iow, you can have a splashy, campy, provocative, sensationalist title for each of the haunts on the outside, and then nothing seemingly exploitative or sensationalist inside, rather letting the atmosphere and setting do the talking (like in the above photos). That way, while a somewhat over the top or campy marquee on the outside will help get customers, you won't have any campy marquees distract from the attraction once the customers are inside.

I would also steer clear of any crazy fonts for "Fear Factory presents . . .", and just let the Haunts speak for themselves.

As way of reference, think of how George Lucas and Steven Spielberg title their films with that 50's B-film sensationalist panache, but they don't play for exploitation when you actually see the film. Titles such as Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, Star Wars: Attack of the Clones, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and so on.

More in a bit.

C.

Comment

Working...
                      X