Creep Acres 2012!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creep Acres 2012!!

Hey guys! It's been a while since I've posted much of anything on here, but I've still been lurking around and seeing what you all are up to. Before I get into my full post, let me just quickly give a little bcakground on myself. Right now I'm just ending my sophomore year of high school, I'm 15. I've literally been home haunting since I was 8, every Halloween for the most part. I honestly think I outgrew the home haunt a few years ago, but I've been steadily adding to it every year. I would go so far as to say that some scenes in the haunt were pro quality (or more). For those of you interested, here is a link to pictures from the past two years... http://creepacres.yolasite.com/pictures.php

Now, for this year my family is moving just a few miles to a 2 acre farm with a 2,000 sf shop. It's a little off the beaten path, but it has some great potential for a haunt. The basic plan for this year is as follows:

I will most likely be partenering with a non-profit to put on a charity haunt on the property. What I'm working with my parents on right now is a plan to do somewhat small cornfield and then flow guests directly into the shop, utilizing probably 1400 sf of that for the show. I'm thinking this would be somewhere from 8 to 10 minutes long, and I would probably charge $5-8 for admission.

The main roadblocks are:
    -We don't move until June 14th, and because of hectic schedules all I can do construction-wize befor mid-July is plant the corn.
    -Although I know essentially the same as any of you guys as far as building the haunt goes, because of my age I have literally NO experience dealing with charities, fire codes, building inspectors, marketting, etc. Really I know nothing about the business side of things
    -Like I said above, we are a little off the beaten path, so a good deal of money will have to go towards marketting. I'll be sure to post pics of the place and a map of the nearby area when I can, but since the old owners are still in the house I'm going to wait until we move in.
    - I have very little money. However, I do have about a half of all the panels we'll need from the home haunt, plus tons of other tech items. I'm also used to functioning on a tight budget and still having a lot of detail.
    -My parents DO totally suport me, but they do have the power to say no to pretty much anything.

If any of you don't mind answering a few questions I have, that would be great!
    1) I was wondering about how much it costs to get a decent looking logo made by someone for the haunt... just like a basic price range would be great. (I've checked a few sites, but none of them have any prices listed... I honestly have no idea what it would cost.)
    2) What's the most effective marketting strategy to get people to a new haunt? We are just a few turns off a busy highway, but in a very hard to get to location
    3) I know it's different everywhere, but based on your experiences what would have to be done to use the shop to house part of the event?
    4) If any of you have approached charities in the past, what is the best way to do so? Is it better to write a formal business letter of just send an e-mail?

Thanks a million guys!

As I get into building I'll be sure to post tons of photos, so check this thread often!
    *Sigh*I can't wait til' October

Well my first bit of advice is to get in touch with code inspector/fire marshall/state inspector and talk to them/have them come out to the facility and talk with them there. Do this first! It's best to have them on your good side and give a good impression.
    For a logo, I'd contact Rick Whitlow. He does great work and is very cost efficient.
    http://www.RickWhitlow.com is his site with different examples of sites/logos he's done and contact info.

Best of luck!

Kirk
    Kirk Boemmel
    Dark Ghost Manor
    www.darkghostmanor.com

sigpic

Comment

Theres a site, (and Ill have to figure out which one it is) but you put up XX number of dollars, put the guidelines out (No pumpkins, Must use blue) things like that....People compete and vote and all it costs you is the amount of money you put up....The Winning logo artist gets the money. Of course the more money you throw the more designs you get.
      Jesus loves you, but everyone else thinks you're an asshole.

Comment

Found the site....

www.99designs.com
        Jesus loves you, but everyone else thinks you're an asshole.

Comment

Thanks Tater! The site looks great, and it looks like that would be relatively affordable for what I'm looking at.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkblood View Post
            Well my first bit of advice is to get in touch with code inspector/fire marshall/state inspector and talk to them/have them come out to the facility and talk with them there. Do this first! It's best to have them on your good side and give a good impression.
            For a logo, I'd contact Rick Whitlow. He does great work and is very cost efficient.
            http://www.RickWhitlow.com is his site with different examples of sites/logos he's done and contact info.

Best of luck!

Kirk
            Thanks for the advice. As soon as I get in one of the first things on my to-do list it to talk to the inspector. Based on talking to another haunt in the same town, I fell like the fire marshal will be pretty laid back... they had some parts of their haunt that felt completely unsafe and like a lawsuit waiting to happen. But hey- if it means a more relaxed marshall for me than I'm all for it.

Comment

Alright here's a few pics of things I've been working on over the winter... there's been quite a bit more, but most of my haunt stuff aside from the panels is either boxed up or already in temporary storage.

These first two are of the new facade I'm working on. When I started on this I was still planning on another garage haunt at our current residence, so that's why the doorway is only 2 feet wide (but it's a really quick fix based on the design). All that's left to do other than widening the door is to make the top triangle a foot wider as well and finish adding the planks to the 2 main panels, and then it's just paint and detail.

All the haunt wall panels...

A quick static prop I started last week. Like I said above, I've done lot's more, most of it is just in storage right now.

Comment

Check your inbox Pumpkin King. I sent you a PM

Comment

Originally posted by hsmag View Post
                  Check your inbox Pumpkin King. I sent you a PM
                  Thanks! I PMed back.

-Collin

Comment

Working...
                  X