Wall panel design ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wall panel design ?'s

I looked but couldn't find my question / answer.

I've seen some pictures where they were built both ways. But more it seems this way: 3 vertical boards and 2 end boards (2x3's or 2x4's) instead of 3 horizontal boards and 2 vertical side boards. I'm not a carpenter I don't know the correct terms.

Is there an advantage of one over the other? Why do most people use a middle board running up and down instead of side to side, it seems to me it would be better and more cost effective.

Thanks guys,

Dewayne

Im guessing its because the panel is better protected if somebody crashes into it. The vertical would leave the plywood less exposed for a clean hit. Whereas a horizontal in the middle would leave open two large squares that would be weak if hit in the middle.

The book I read by JB corn only had a small square (cut off of a 2x4) in the very center, to make it so they didn't bow while stacked in storage.

Im sure others will say more but to me that seems why.

Comment

I do three horizontal and two vert, thats just my way- it is personal preference- no more than that.
      www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
      http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Thanks guys. Allen, do you use a jig? Or any of you, use a jig? If so, have any pics?

I basically built a panel and put down some blocks on the inside of the frame and some on the outside. The first one was fairly square, but my air gun hits with so much steenking force it's retarded, and I think it'll eventually knock things loose. The frame will be re-secured with screws, as soon as I get them here. I bought framing guns because of the usual reasons of ease.

Comment

Originally posted by Frightener View Post
          Thanks guys. Allen, do you use a jig? Or any of you, use a jig? If so, have any pics?

I basically built a panel and put down some blocks on the inside of the frame and some on the outside. The first one was fairly square, but my air gun hits with so much steenking force it's retarded, and I think it'll eventually knock things loose. The frame will be re-secured with screws, as soon as I get them here. I bought framing guns because of the usual reasons of ease.
          this is a good jig. You need to pause, replay, and watch carefully to see both the construction and process. look closely at the two perimeter boards that give the sheathing a square seat into the jig, the entire jig base needs to be raised as shown if you use a perimeter seat like this, which I like because it's sturdier than trying to tack into the side of a .5" ply sheath. Better to raise the whole base plate up and use 2x6 or 2x8 so long as you support the entire base from the bottom.

This panel serves whatever need they've identified, it wouldn't be optimal in some situations but may be in others. Note they're using what appear to be 2x2 furring strips, and Luan, very thin, light, and strong.

Some notes on the speed, note the guy pre-drilling the beam connections, thus the speed of driving the screw. They're only using one screw which is smart because by air nailing brads or staples the sheathing is providing tension strength similar to a floor or roof to studs. This panel is really more like a hollywood flat notice how it flexes when they remove it from the jig - some of these will be double sheathed which will further increase strength and that flex would be gone.

The dude in the white tee is pre-drilling then the others are leapfrogging each other with the deck screws. The gluing is also giving some strength. but adds considerable expense.
          Last edited by Twin Locusts; 05-22-2012, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Awesome! I saw this video a while back and lost it. Thanks for posting it!

Dewayne

Comment

I do use a jig, it will be on my design DVD that gets released at MHC

Comment

I do use a jig, it will be on my design DVD that gets released at MHC. It is in editing now but I do talk a bit about panels and my jig.

Comment

Originally posted by Allen H View Post
                  I do use a jig, it will be on my design DVD that gets released at MHC. It is in editing now but I do talk a bit about panels and my jig.
                  How long do you expect it to be?

C.

Comment

The video will be about 2hrs...I have to keep it to that, it kills me to produce the dual layer and two disc sets- I need to keep it to 2hs so I can keep it $20. I dont want to hijack the thread though.
                    Allen H

Comment

Originally posted by Allen H View Post
                      The video will be about 2hrs...I have to keep it to that, it kills me to produce the dual layer and two disc sets- I need to keep it to 2hs so I can keep it $20. I dont want to hijack the thread though.
                      Allen H
                      No, by all means, hijack away! I'm sure your vid will answer lots of questions, especially a lot of the ones brought up by this thread. I'm totally stoked about getting it.

C.

Comment

We have always done 3 vertical capped on each end, reason is your splitting 4 feet so every 2 feet you have a stud. This gives you a better chance at hitting a stud if your hanging something heavy. also if people are running into them. If you switch it you have 2, 4 foot boxes, less chance of catching a stud.

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Terrorknight View Post
                          We have always done 3 vertical capped on each end, reason is your splitting 4 feet so every 2 feet you have a stud. This gives you a better chance at hitting a stud if your hanging something heavy. also if people are running into them. If you switch it you have 2, 4 foot boxes, less chance of catching a stud.

Robert
                          Hey Robert, you guys use 2x4 studs?

Comment

That's the only logical way I can see it. If they DON'T use precut studs then they have to cut all them 2x4's.

Anyone wanna post their setup? 2x4's, 2x2's, luan, osb etc?

I'm doing a lot of this by myself and I've done about 10 panels and... well, with my back, it's not gonna last much longer with these heavy arse 2x3 panels with 7/16" osb! The cheapest luan I can find is about twice the cost of our osb BUT there are some other boards (not labeled real well) that seems about the same as the luan stuff but it's only about $10 a sheet, compared to my osb at $7.27, I don't think it'd be a bad choice to go to.

Comment

Originally posted by Frightener View Post
                              Anyone wanna post their setup? 2x4's, 2x2's, luan, osb etc?
                              Did I send you that copy of JB's first book?

C.

Comment

Working...
                              X