DOT Room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOT Room

So I know they are simplistic....but...I love a good DOT room. The one at Rocky Point was fantastic. I have read the "use the dots from the office supply store" how-to's and I don't like that idea. What do you suggest for the wall covering and the dot material?
    Greg Salyers
    Fear Entertainment

"Dot Room!?"

Here I thought it was the "Snot Room"!
    "Pick your way carefully through the nasil passage!"
    "Boogie on through !"
    hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I think we purchased ours from Cydney (I beleive she is the one that masterminded that whole idea and sold them for a while)... ours is from years upon years and years ago but we take care of it like it's a child - it's an antique!

I've seen some done with different color neon handprints and it was done just as well... just need to make sure the walls are black as black can be and you have good dark material onepiece suits on your camoflague actors in there.
      Blood & Kisses,

~ Nicole

Production Team Member
      The White Star Farm
      "Hey Baby, this blood's for you."

Comment

How do you do your DOT room....are the walls cloth with the dots on that or do you paint the dots directly to the wall?
        Greg Salyers
        Fear Entertainment

Comment

"Cloth", "Paint"..you forgot" Smack the people on the head with a 2 by 4 ".
          This makes them see "Dots"!!
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

So in Haunted Attraction Magazine Issue 45. They Talk about Thinking outside the DOT Room.
            Here s Link http://www.hauntedattraction.com/ind...position=65:14

So on this note.. I was thinking what is you did one with a bunch of Jason Masks Painted Different Neon Colors. Have a couple Actors in the room in All black wearing the mask also. That would not be all to bad. Fairly Inexpensive

Comment

I agree, it doesn't hurt to think outside the dots!

But since you were asking about the dot room we have... Ours was a "felt-like" material (Jim Warfield - add joke in here) :wink: with neon fabric adhesive dots... they are perfectly spaced on there which would drive me crazy to make - if it was me and I was trying to save $ and time, I'd do the same black felt-material and do different color uv handprints not worrying about exact spacing.

We've done the glow mask room too in the past - excep with it one or two actors not only had the mask but hiding behind them they would pop out their glowing hands to match.
              Blood & Kisses,

~ Nicole

Production Team Member
              The White Star Farm
              "Hey Baby, this blood's for you."

Comment

Speaking of thinking outside the DOT Room. Does it always have to be black? is there any reason a pink, purple, blue or even white room wouldn't work as well as long as the actor was wearing the same color & pattern.

Comment

Ok, here is my secret to getting around the actor clothing issue:

1. Set up a standard dot room

2. Hang strips of plastic/cloth decorated the same way throughout the middle of the room.

3. Strobe your UV lighting using strobing fixtures or LEDs. This makes the dots appear to be floating.

4. The actor can wear whatever the want because they are hidden by the strips in the room.

Not quite the same effect as have a wall move at you but still a great visual and an even better scare.

Comment

You could always try. But I would think with the lighter colors your actors will be seen more easily then if it was just Black with Dot or whatever all over. Peoples Eyes will be trying hard to adjust to the Dots and not see that there is a person standing right there..

Comment

Oh, and my "dots" are actually tractor-feed mailing labels painted with flourescent paint then cut in half. Just peel and stick.

Comment

Hanging anything from the ceiling will get some or many of them pulled, ripped down by customers and your helpers if they can reach them.
                        I always have a strip of thin wood to sort of clamp them to the ceiling(as the screws go through the strip of wood) distributing the pull over a wider area versus just a small nail-head .
                        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

i'm doing something similar.....

I making 11 manequins using PVC and covering them all with the same costume....I have white masks that i am going to paint all sorts of bright colors using black light paint....and then in the porch in my back yard i'm going to have 2 4 ft. long flourecent black lights to give the glowing effect to the masks....so one of our actors is dressed up in the same costume with a glowing masks just like all the other manequins and he jumps out....same effect differen't props i guess

Comment

Working...
                          X