Brutal Rust paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brutal Rust paint

So what does everyone think of that rust paint offered at Transworld? We bought 3 gallons of it and I have used it a little bit. At this point I'm not blown away with the results but I'm still playing with it. Seems you need ALOT whenever you use it on anything. At least 3-4 coats before activating. Wondering what everyone else thinks?

Chaos
    Capt.Chaos
    Fear Asylum Haunted House
    Brookings,SD

fear-asylum.com

Be sure that you THOROUGHLY mix the paint before applying it. I suggest using a drywall mixing paddle and a drill.

Also, the paint works much better if it is sprayed through a hopper gun (even, rusty finish) or dabbed on with paint brushes (more uneven, chunky finish) rather than actually brushed or rolled on like regular paint. You need to be sure that you are getting enough of the actual iron on the surface and then activate the paint while it's still wet. You can go back later and add more activator to make it pop even more.

Just some helpful hints...
    Kip Polley
    www.palenight.com

Pale Night Productions
    We Engineer Fear

Comment

Just me

But I thought it was alot of trouble for the effort when there is several things that work just as good! Shane and that's just my opinion! Shane
      sigpic

Comment

Here's a good way to make rust and you have alot of it around your shop area. Buy a rust color paint and mix a bunch of saw dust into it till you get the thickness you are looking for, when it drys highlight by dry brushing some metallic paint on it. Looks pretty much like rust for the cost of a gallon of paint. You can also make pipe grime the same way using different colors. I'd never spend $100's on paint.

Robert

Comment

cornflakes
          Randy Russom

www.midstatescare.com
          Mid State Scare - San Luis Obispo and Santa Maria's favorite Haunted House
          2013 - Hmmm, we shall see what gets conjured up

Comment

IMG_0923.JPG_s.jpgDSC06019.JPG_s.jpg

I thought it worked well...

Comment

Looks great whispers!

Not to poo on everyone else's ideas here because they're all good...but nothing looks as much like rust as...well...RUST! This is the real deal and 120 for a gallon of paint and a gallon of activator is not out of hand. I have used this stuff to paint entire rooms of an attraction we revamped in the St. Louis area and, not only did it look fantastic, but it is really durable too. It really comes down to what you're willing to pay for but for my money I'll never try to produce a faux rust finish again. I can hopper spray this paint and cover entire scenes in no time. No going back with dry brushing or color washes or what have you. Spray it, activate it, move on!

That's my two cents. I know a lot of the paint got sold at TW so I hope everyone is really enjoying the product and I'd love to see what projects everyone uses it on so let's see some!
              Kip Polley
              www.palenight.com

Pale Night Productions
              We Engineer Fear

Comment

Kip

We may be talking about 2 different things. Did you sell this product? If so I did not see it. Shane and it's let me know? Shane
                sigpic

Comment

Hope this helps...

Bart Butler
                  HobNob Productions
                  http://www.brainchowstudios.com

Comment

The only complaint is that it made the shop smell like a big sulfuric cat turd!! I thought the product worked very well.

Comment

only with paint techniques

great job with the sausage maker. Here is a version I am currently working on.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Rust Dust

Hey guys, if you're interested in product that produces rust, check out the Torture Factory's Rust Dust. We've developed a product that allows you to rust any surface that you can paint. Brutal Rust is a good product, don't get me wrong, but it couldn't do everything we wanted it to do. So we came up with our own formula that we feel is more versatile. The great thing about our Rust Dust is you can use any paint color you want. You don't have to paint your object grey. We use black latex paint the most, and as the paint becomes tacky, you sprinkle our dust on the paint and then spray it with our activator. What makes Rust Dust great, is our product is on the surface of the object so less activator is needed. Also NO HEATING is required to activate our dust. Last time I checked, paint is flammable, and applying a heat lamp to wet paint may not be the best idea. You'll see results within an hour, or whenever the activator is dried. We usually place fans in front of our objects in order for them to dry faster. Also with our product you can control the color of rust you want. Less activator will give you a bright, orange color, and more activator will give you a deep, red color of rust. Below are some examples of foam props we've rusted with Rust Dust. If you'd like more info, contact me directly through a PM or jlawason887@gmail.com Thanks! Pick axe.jpgHammer.jpghammer head 1.jpgHammer Head.jpgHammer 2.jpg If

Comment

Ive used the rust dust from torture factory just recently- Im pretty thrilled with it. It worked great on some resin pieces I wanted some rust on.
                          Allen H
                          www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

another latex paint and sawdust job...

It's not the same, I know- but for large items it works great.
                            Attached Files
                            How can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temple of his gods.

What you put into your mind- you put into your life.

www.zombietoxin.com

Comment

Worked well for us!

I used it to rust some conduit attached to my meat wagon used to pull patrons around Camp Nightmare. Worked great by dabbing on with a brush and spraying the activator. A little time consuming because of th surface we were painting but I cant think of any other way to cover PVC like this and get rust.
                              Travis "Big T" Russell
                              President
                              Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

Working...
                              X