No announcement yet.

MHC Feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time for me as well. I greatly enjoyed the show, ball and classes. I was exhausted for most of the show.

The only thing I would suggest changing is the first schedule of classes. I was very torn because I was itching to get into the show, but I really wanted to attend the mold-making class. The show opened at 9, and the class was at 9:30. I hated choosing. I think it might work better if the first classes are at 10 since it would give a person the chance to quickly check out at least a little of the show. Just my opinion.

I was surprised that so many people attending the party weren't in any kind of costume. Mine wasn't a great costume, but it worked out. Some of the costumes were amazing! The party was a lot of fun, but the beer selection at the Hyatt was very limited and very expensive ($5.50 for a Miller Lite at the party). It seemed like a lot of people were down on level 2 instead of up on 3 with the party. Now, I am not complaining. I am just adding my impressions of the weekend.

I really wanted to attend classes on Sunday, but I was very tired, so I walked around the show buying stuff and taking pictures instead.

All in all, it was great fun. The guy who taught the mold making class had a ton to teach. We ran out of time, but it was a great class. The Frightprops class was great too. I knew zero about pneumatics, but now I have a basic understanding. My traveling companion had a basic understanding of it, and he learned many helpful things.

I am very glad I went, and I have every intention of going again next year.
    Last edited by remyghost; 06-15-2012, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Thank you all!!

I have always been very humbled to think that people take time, or spend vacation time, to come to our event. I know I can speak for the other three organizers when I say that we put everything into making sure that all who attend have the opportunity enjoy themselves. When I read comments such as those that are in this thread I am humbled once again. Your comments are very much appreciated and constructive criticism is always welcome! That being said, I have not finished crunching the numbers but I can safely say that this was easily our largest show in all aspects. From having 4 buses on the pre-con tour, to selling out the Friday tour, to packed seminars, and a party that was easily the largest our industry has ever seen. All of this would not have happened if it were for all of you who came to buy, sell, and learn!

To respond to a few topics in this thread: There were 1500 passes issued for the party but of course not everyone was there at any given time. I was at the party for a short time and, from looking down from the mezzanine, it was the largest crowd I have ever seen.

As for class scheduling the one thing we always struggle with is giving everyone the classes they want and value for their money versus having enough time to go shopping with the vendors. I think the change I made a few years ago allowing a longer break around lunch time has worked out well however I am always open to new ideas.

To Doug, the classrooms were supposed to be set for 80 but I think a few of them may have been set a little smaller but either way your class was our 3rd highest attended at 62. Given that we are running 5 classes at a time I think you did great!

It is hard to believe that next year will be our 10th year. Seeing this event grow from that first year at the baseball stadium to what it has become is kind of overwhelming. It definitely would not have happened if it weren't for the help and support of so many people in the industry!

Comment

Correction!

I have to admit that I did make a mistake with regard to the party count. When I went back and looked at the numbers I have gathered so far they were not adding up. It turns out when we were calculating final numbers to put in our last food order I misread one of the printouts from the register. Were were actually at 1200. Either way it was still a huge party and, on the plus side, we had plenty of food for everyone!

Comment

is there an age requirement (BS) like transworld ?

i think you have to be 16 to get into transworld.... just wondering I think there was an age minimum there............

Comment

No, the only restrictions that we have is that those under 12 have to be accompanied by an adult.

Comment

I do recommend an age restriction on the costume ball at least until a certain point. I saw a lot of young children running around amongst the body art models and somehow that just doesn't seem an ideal situation. I am anything but a prude but I know a lot of people were commenting on that as well

Family friendly is a good thing and Inam supportive of that, but some events should be limited to adults.

---
              I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?5i1b0q
              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Brett Hays, Director
              Fear Fair
              www.fearfair.com

Comment

age minimum

Originally posted by john haines View Post
                i think you have to be 16 to get into transworld.... just wondering I think there was an age minimum there............
                I personally like the minimum at Transworld, that show is about business & the new products for our industry. It's already so many people there, that children running around & baby strollers would be a unneeded distraction while trying to see & conduct business with the vendors.
                As for Midwest I don't feel the same way, as most of us have already placed our big orders with the vendors, and Midwest feels more to me like a "social" event and "fun" side of what we do. However I do see the "body paint" & young children point. Maybe just a restriction on the costume ball.
                Just my 2 cents.

Comment

my daughter (age 14)

...was at the ball, she was the little blonde with the blacked out eyes and black and white dress. there were some costumes that i was uncomfortable with, but NOT the body art. maybe im to liberal but she does 70% of our airbrush work and runs air brush booths at all the local city festivals. it was truly art for us, infact i hated spending all the money i did at TW on our air brush equipment with out her there but knew my choices would be limited at midwest.

Comment

I know there was a large ratio of home Haunters this year than in years past which led to more kids. I know that we have always viewed MHC as the last opportunity each year to have a fun weekend (and yes, party) before we have to really start working hard on this year's show.

I am fine with the idea of more family friendly events at the show, but I believe there is a limit to how far you can integrate certain aspects of the convention. The Saturday night party I just don't feel is really intended to be a family event. Maybe have another family oriented event that same night for those looking for a different environment.

To my knowledge, there were no problems at all this year. I know that both Zombie Army and our crew partied on our buses until past 3 am and we spoke with the police on duty and obtained permission prior to doing so. Frankly, the police presence was a little overbearing as it was. Officers in uniform patrolling the costume ball was enough to suck the life out the party for myself. Many others commented on the same to me.

Different strokes for different folks, but I think most of the aspects of a Haunt industry convention are just not geared for children.

---
                    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?g3asny
                    Brett Hays, Director
                    Fear Fair
                    www.fearfair.com

Comment

My Take

I agree with Brett and maybe there could be a family friendly event! I do not think the MHC Party would be a place for the kids. But when there is a need and wanted things can always be added so there is someting for everyone. When I made my comments I was looking at the Industry in general and it seems like that were all about the booze and all night everyone is invited to my room parties and less about the show's itself. This is just as I see it and my opinion. Honestly as far as my party goes if I could leave the booze out I would but just because I don't drink don't mean others don't or should not. IF THEY KNOW HOW TO CONDUCT THEMSELVES! I can also say that I have not had one problem not one! And actually in thinking most people expect that at a party!

It's all the other places you see them drunk and acting stupid. Like when you get off the elevator and have to walk through a party in the hall or when your in bed and all you can hear is their loud asses! I noticed when I got on the elevator one night there were several hotel security guys and police get on with me and low and behold they got off on my floor and made what seems to have been 100 people with coolers and booze blocking the halls yelling and drinking and having a good old time! I heard them say that hotel staff and other quest had complained and if they had one more complaint they would be removed from the hotel half were from the same Haunt but I will not call the name they know who they are. I did think to myself hell yeah Shane you will sleep tonight!!!!

Talk to Kelly, Kathy, Berry they will listen and offer something! Again I am not judging people for drinking I am judging the hundreds of photos you see with everyone with a beer in their hand hell they could get a kick back from Bud Light!!!

On a side note Brett, Zombie Army I have 14 million dollar plus buses/private coaches and am adding 10 more this fall! My company hauls some of the biggest names in the world and I can say this that we refuse to lease to rappers for the very reason they use the coaches as bars and try to pack 50 people on a coach that's built to sleep 12 people!!!!!! The last person that broke the straw was Chris Brown and his gang. I had 3 buses with over 1 million in damage! They paid for the damage and I said NO MORE!!!!!!! Shane and it's my coaches are not school buses or party buses with stripper poles on them LOL! Shane
                      sigpic

Comment

What about school prison buses with poles and zombie strippers on them; rapping? Lol

Brett and it's I only got about $15,000 in mine and it does the job.

I am just having fun with you, hope you know that.

---
                        I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?5wkzey
                        Last edited by bhays; 06-17-2012, 06:18 PM.
                        Brett Hays, Director
                        Fear Fair
                        www.fearfair.com

Comment

Bret

Originally posted by bhays View Post
                          What about school prison buses with poles and zombie strippers on them; rapping? Lol

Brett and it's I only got about $15,000 in mine and it does the job.

I am just having fun with you, hope you know that.

---
                          I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?5wkzey
                          I'll send Chris your way. Man I don't take offence because just like me you have an opinion!!!! Shane and it's I know your having fun with me!!! Shane
                          sigpic

Comment

For the record this old bitch has been on both buses....and not kicked off any

Incoming message from granny!!!!
                            Attached Files
                            Jesus loves you, but everyone else thinks you're an asshole.

Comment

hahahahahahah!!!
                              Like a midget at a urinal, you gotta be on your toes

http://www.wellstownshiphauntedhouse.com

Comment

We were on the 12th floor. People seemed to party downstairs and go upstairs to sleep. I guess I was lucky. I thought the hotel was nice and quiet.

Comment

Working...
                                X