Whats the deal???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the deal???

Anyone had any dealings with Dark Raven Designs lately? I was trying to put in an order for $25,000. - $30,000. worth of props, emailed them at least 3 times & left @ least 2 messages! Why do they bother going to Tradeshows/Conventions to sell their products? Their money could be better spent on sending the owners & employees to a customer service seminar because theirs SUCKS! If they can't even return an email or phone call to say "we're not taking any more orders @ this point", than they could @ least retain a possible customer for the future. But when you get ignored from the start it tells you something is not quite right with the company...other than shitty ass service. If I had run my biz like that I wouldn't have lasted 1 year let alone 25+ years. Customer service is crucial but obviously grabbing deposit money is what it seems a lot in this industry turn to. Can't wait til next years conventions so I can stand face to face with some of these companies & listen to their BS excuses! Well that's just my 2 cents!

P.
    Jim Pashley
    The FEAR FACTORY
    www.thefearfactorynj.com
    855-NJ HAUNT
    sigpic
    "WE MANUFACTURE NIGHTMARES"

Dark Raven Designs make excellent products which are not only reliable but second to none in my opinion. They are a local vendor where I live in Buffalo, NY.

To answer your post, the owner is more than likely in China still. They had a huge overseas order/project with another local haunt. Spoke to the owner last week to check the status of our order which hasn't been charged yet.

I was told he'd be back by the end of June. Orders on deck to be started asap early July. If you're trying to order anything from Dark Raven now (especially an order that big) don't count on it.

We waited too long to order an animatronic last season (as in by early June) and missed out due to so many orders before ours, not to mention the building material they need to make their props.

That's as much as I know, but should definitely answer your question as to why you haven't been able to reach them!
    District of the Dead Haunted House & Morbid Entertainment

http://www.BuffaloFear.com
    http://www.MorbidEntertainment.com

Comment

Well...

I understand stuff happens but whether your out of the country, overseas, whatever, there is all types of call forwarding, answering services & machines that could have left a msg. like that to alert customers. Last I checked emails can travel around the globe. I appreciate your thoughts on this but I am not an excuse man...I didn't make them over my years in biz & don't to easily except them. Bottom line is there needs to be communication within a company and someone needs to be responsible for that customer service. I would love to see the reaction from my customers if I left the country for a month and didn't communicate with anyone! Sometimes even great products get overshadowed by terrible customer relations and will eventually do a company in. Unfortunately I see it all the time.

P.
      Jim Pashley
      The FEAR FACTORY
      www.thefearfactorynj.com
      855-NJ HAUNT
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pickle View Post
        I understand stuff happens but whether your out of the country, overseas, whatever, there is all types of call forwarding, answering services & machines that could have left a msg. like that to alert customers. Last I checked emails can travel around the globe. I appreciate your thoughts on this but I am not an excuse man...I didn't make them over my years in biz & don't to easily except them. Bottom line is there needs to be communication within a company and someone needs to be responsible for that customer service. I would love to see the reaction from my customers if I left the country for a month and didn't communicate with anyone! Sometimes even great products get overshadowed by terrible customer relations and will eventually do a company in. Unfortunately I see it all the time.

P.
        I couldn't agree more! Communication is key in this industry. There have been TOO many shady dealings in the past. In all honesty, I'd feel more comfortable spending my money and buying second hand props from others rather than directly from some vendors. It's terrible when you haven't updated your website, when links don't work and when you don't return calls and have to rely on third party forum users to "vouch" for you. Simple as "We are no longer taking orders for the season" or the like. We UNDERSTAND lots of things are made to order, especially by smaller companies. Nothing excites a customer more than to be able to communicate with whom we're spending our hard earned cash with. I can't say enough about Frightprops and Darklight. Two AMAZING companies I have no problem spending money with because I've never had an issue. Ordering, Receiving, Communicating. I'm certain there are plenty of other vendors but for those who are slacking, maybe they should take heed. Not sure why I'm even soap-boxing seeing as this happens every few months but yeah...just my two cents...no change back.
        O'Shawn McClendon
        Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

Comment

vendor dealings...

O,

I agree with you 110%! These vendors act like their doing YOU a favor taking your money! Don't know where they get off but I for one am going to let my feelings be heard loud & clear with some of these vendors @ next years conventions. And I also agree with you that there are a certain few vendors (couple you've mentioned) that seem to run things properly. Other than those few I feel the same way...I'll take my chances buying used props & refurbish them...eliminates a ton of bullshit with some of these shady operators. They should stop spending so much money on their websites & a few cents more on customer relations...nothing travels faster than a bad reputation! This is what I stress everyday to my employees, so this is why these dealings have struck such a nerve with me.

P.
          Jim Pashley
          The FEAR FACTORY
          www.thefearfactorynj.com
          855-NJ HAUNT
          sigpic

Comment

Be sure to post your reviews and rating of Dark Raven here - http://www.hauntersdigest.com/2010/0...raven-designs/
            News and event coverage from directly inside the Haunt Industry - http://www.hauntersdigest.com
            Get a Website and/or Mobile App for Your Attraction - http://www.charlesterry.com

Comment

Pickle check your pm's

Comment

Owners need to have someone to answer calls. There is no excuse for not talking to customers. None

Robert

P.S. tired of hearing the same Bullshit every year

Comment

Update...

Thought I'd give anyone following this thread an update. I finally heard from DRD & they are indeed still overseas working on an attraction. I want to be the first to congratulate them on someone in this industry finally exporting our American products overseas. Just seems like the majority comes from over there & we have to get our people back to work making products we can be proud to offer the world!

That being said, I still believe what I said earlier about people in this biz have got to start taking customer service seriously. Maybe I get worked up more than the average customer, I don't know...but it just hits a very bad nerve with me because I beat customer service into my employee's heads everyday, so when I'm on the receiving end of bad service I don't take it well.

Anyhow, I was promised that the few props I'm ordering can be delivered before the end of August. Sooo, I've decided to place an order (much smaller than first) to see if they can deliver as promised...I feel everyone deserves a second chance. I've seen & heard some great things about Dark Ravens Designs, that's what caught me so off guard when this all started. Beings they are spoken highly of I thought it was best to at least "test the waters" with an order & see what happens...hopefully a successful delivery! Which by the way I will post as well...I am not one to only post negatives...good service should be rewarded with positive posts

By the way, I should mention so far Gore Galore, Fright Props & George Maser have been tops on my list for prompt customer service! Just my two cents...if anyone cares

P.
                  Jim Pashley
                  The FEAR FACTORY
                  www.thefearfactorynj.com
                  855-NJ HAUNT
                  sigpic

Comment

Contact for Dark Raven Designs?

Does anyone have an alternate contact for dark raven designs? No phone answers, no e-mail answers, voice mail box full... doesn't look good for my props at this time. At this point I just need a yes, or a no answer from them. Any suggestions?
                    Patrick Barberry
                    www.legendsofthefog.com
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by legendsofthefog View Post
                      Does anyone have an alternate contact for dark raven designs? No phone answers, no e-mail answers, voice mail box full... doesn't look good for my props at this time. At this point I just need a yes, or a no answer from them. Any suggestions?
                      Hey,
                      We have attempted to contact you several times but your email server is kicking all emails back. Here is the message that is coming back:

This is a MIME-encapsulated message

--q8B3ofLL001237.1347335441/mole

The original message was received at Mon, 10 Sep 2012 23:50:40 -0400
                      from localhost [127.0.0.1]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
                      Patrick[MENTION=8969]legendsofthefog[/MENTION].com
                      (reason: 550 Access denied - Invalid HELO name (See RFC2821 4.1.1.1))

----- Transcript of session follows -----
                      ... while talking to legendsofthefog.com.:
                      >>> MAIL From:< info@darkravendesigns.net > SIZE=1649
                      <<< 550 Access denied - Invalid HELO name (See RFC2821 4.1.1.1)
                      554 5.0.0 Service unavailable

Content-Type: message/delivery-status

Reporting-MTA: dns; mole
                      Received-From-MTA: DNS; localhost
                      Arrival-Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 23:50:40 -0400

Final-Recipient: RFC822; Patrick[MENTION=8969]legendsofthefog[/MENTION].com
                      Action: failed
                      Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 Access denied - Invalid HELO name (See RFC2821
                      4.1.1.1)
                      Last-Attempt-Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 23:50:40 -0400

Content-Type: text/rfc822-headers

Return-Path: < info@darkravendesigns.net >
                      Received: from darkravendesigns.net (localhost [127.0.0.1])
                      by mole (8.14.2/8.14.2/Debian-2build1) with SMTP id q8B3oeLL001235
                      for Patrick[MENTION=8969]legendsofthefog[/MENTION].com; Mon, 10 Sep 2012 23:50:40 -0400
                      Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 23:50:40 -0400
                      Message-Id: < 201209110350.q8B3oeLL001235@mole >
                      To:Patrick[MENTION=8969]legendsofthefog[/MENTION].com
                      Reply-To:info@darkravendesigns.net
                      Fromark Raven Designs < info@darkravendesigns.net >
                      Subject:Re: Legends of the Fog order
                      In-Reply-To:< 007201cd8c8e$e6ce0b00$b46a2100$@com >
                      References:< 007201cd8c8e$e6ce0b00$b46a2100$@com >
                      X-Priority:3
                      X-Mailer:e-mol.com, e-mail online
                      X-From:info@darkravendesigns.net@darkravendesigns.ne t
                      X-Originating-IP: [72.88.69.55]
                      Content-Type: text/plain

Comment

thanks

I appreciate you getting back to me.

Thanks!
                        Patrick Barberry
                        www.legendsofthefog.com
                        sigpic

Comment

Just a Traveling Man

This is an old post, but I wanted to put in my two cents. My day job is in International Sales. I have traveled all over the world as part of this job. Last year, I was responsible for sales in 38 countries, and was required to travel to those countries weekly. Its not easy keeping up with your phone messages and emails, especially when traveling to Asia (big time difference) - BUT the technology does exist, and if you can commit to great customer service, you can still run your business even though you are out of the country, on a big project, or traveling.

Part of my arsenal = iPad for quick access to emails, FaceBook, and LinkedIN, iPhone for voicemails and emails AND instant messaging/twitter. Laptop for design work, presentations, documents (such as contracts). This is my portable office and keeps me in touch with the world even when visiting Mings Tombs in Nanjing!

Vendors - again this is not easy (I am a vendor and I know how hard it is) but to be successful in today's "I need to know now" business world, its essential to keeping happy customers!
                          Travis "Big T" Russell
                          President
                          Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

'bout time...

BigT,
                            'bout time someone explains to the vendors that this technology DOES exist! EVERY business is tough these days & things do happen but if you do commit to being service oriented than there are products available to help you be extremely efficient at it. But as you deal with vendors & read post on here you can see a pattern develop with the vendors who just don't give a rats ass about customer service...and they know who they are! Well I for one don't give a rats ass if you sell props, tv's or life insurance...the businesses who ultimately prosper & succeed are the ones who tend to the little things...like communication!

P.
                            Jim Pashley
                            The FEAR FACTORY
                            www.thefearfactorynj.com
                            855-NJ HAUNT
                            sigpic

Comment

Thank you Dark Raven

I wanted to post a Thank You to Dark Raven Designs. Once our communication was ironed out, they did exactly what they said they were going to do. The props were delivered on time and they are absolutely amazing. Thanks again

Patrick
                              Patrick Barberry
                              www.legendsofthefog.com
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X