Credit Cards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrfoos View Post
    Money isn't the cause of failure or success. It's how YOU use it that determines that... regardless of the source. But with no money... you're a hobo building your haunt out of a cardboard box in an alley. Sure you could start your business there but how long do you have to live to make it a financial success? I guess that depends on what "financial success" means to you.
    Looking forward to Greg's response to this one. *breaking out the popcorn*

Comment

"It's How you USE it!?"

The problem is always having enough money to get all of those things that you are supposed to have, need, get.
      Adding up a column of numbers can be debillitating when the total key is pushed.
      IT says:"And YOU thought you had enough money!?"
      How much is ever "Enough"?
      I can't answer that question, but I know I have never come close to whatever mythical figure it may actually be or become.
      Do you spend $25,000 a season on advertising? ME? Never even close, sometimes spending nothing at all!
      Where does the ticket money go then? It stays right close to me!
      When the money is rolling "IN", it will not always keep rolling in because of numerous factors and major influences, many of which are beyond our control....
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Warfield View Post
        Where does the ticket money go then? It stays right close to me! When the money is rolling "IN", it will not always keep rolling in because of numerous factors and major influences, many of which are beyond our control....
        Because if you are indeed only open a few weekends out of the year, then having 2 weekends, or even 2 nights, totally rained out can totally sink you for the next year.

I wonder where you put that on the "business plan"? Perhaps right next to the column where it said you maxed out your credit cards and mortgaged out your home on your haunt in your first year.

C.
        Last edited by BrotherMysterio; 06-29-2012, 11:18 PM.

Comment

The real super successful people that have haunts and routine numbers of customers and routine amounts of money to deal with. The ones that last decades not just a few years, typically started out with nothing what so over. Real honest to god hobos or outcasts. They ended up having a different perspective of what it took to make that money, where the guy who thinks the world is the guy with the most collateral when he dies wins doesn't live real long or have a healthy life from all the stress. The people that know there is a new cardboard box being thrown out somewhere in the world tend to go all out to exactly not have to pick out that next box. The credit or other peoples money guy thinks you hire someone to do all that and it magically happens.

Another bunch that says it takes money to make money are financial advisers and now the whole country is finding out if you give your money to someone else, guess what, you gave your money to someone else. You think it is making money but it isn't your money anymore, you will never see your money back. Or when you do get it back it is now income that has taxes due. So that money can go to other people who don't want to work also.

Something where you might be able to inventively take some money and turn it into money any time of the year as needed might work for the modern day credit card millionaire but something seasonal means it only happens once a year at harvest time? You better know exactly where to go and when to sell something. Preferably indoors or really quick like selling stuff out of the trunk of your car.

You can have a nice car that is on payments or lease, you can have an iphone that costs so much a month, you can be on the road to owning your own home and property and dress real snazzy and talk all positive and still those credit cards aren't getting you a 20,000 SF haunt in an old Walmart building inspected as okay by the city. Your credit cards aren't what the city or property owners want to hear. They want to hear that some billion dollar organization is going to employ a few people and pay for a whole year in rent up front in cash.

So yes, we are going to start out with a card board box and off season do freaking puppet shows from that same box that can be picked up and run with like the little cardboard cars on Romper Room to survive. So you are gonna flash credit cards in a cardboard box world? Kind of a mismatch. We want real coinage or tools that can be a performance art the makes more people throw more coins into the box. When everyone gets a little lax on donating we are going to a new crowd a few blocks over. Then we are forming a Hobo coop where we can trade information. We are helping other Hobos out and getting help back when we least expect it. It's a life style.

Yes, you can use credit cards, it doesn't matter because you will end up cutting them all up anyhow if you are hanging around Hobo town. You are the new popular guy and everyone has something to sell you. You didn't earn the money from the ground up so what the hell lets party, we can always go make more. Then you can't make more. Oh oh.

All the other Hobos laugh at you. You fell for the credit card trick? HA HA HA!

I didn't respond earlier because he has a legitimate point. A different way of thinking. A younger man's sentiment. The younger people are supposed to over extend themselves and keep paying the older people. They eventually get old too and wise up but when they are young they already know everything and listen to catch phrases made by Ben Franklin in the years when he was crazy mad with syphilis. But it all sounds reasonable. I mean he printed it in a book so it must be real.
          sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Run Forest Run!

I began working on building up a haunt some 12 years ago, collecting a few little things here and there over the years, until I had a respectful inventory of props I had either built from scrap materials or purchased real cheap. It wasnt until I reached a point where I had a decent inventory that I opened the doors of The Plague to the public.

Everything is financed by me. I dont believe in using credit cards because the terms are lousy and I hate paying bills. If you build slow, and invest over time, you will be able to build a great attraction that is 100% paid for! By the way, Big T Productions Inc owns a diesel for hauling, 100% paid for, a utility trailer for hauling, and flat bed trailer for hauling, and several other assets that are all 100% paid for!

If something happens and we have a bad year, I dont get my money back . It just means I get to try again the next year, and I dont have to worry about paying those bills!

BTW - we are now able to buy from all the big guys which is really paying off because it adds a lot to the attraction, and we are adding a new attraction this year as well ....... its all about your savings plan!
            Travis "Big T" Russell
            President
            Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

I don't agree. Some business credit cards like capital one are offering 0% for 12 months. 0% is a far cry from 29%! The APR after the initial 12 months is at 12% I believe. I think it is a good idea to use it to boost your capital. If it were at 29% I would agree it is a bad idea...

Comment

Originally posted by fearforyourlife View Post
                I don't agree. Some business credit cards like capital one are offering 0% for 12 months. 0% is a far cry from 29%! The APR after the initial 12 months is at 12% I believe. I think it is a good idea to use it to boost your capital. If it were at 29% I would agree it is a bad idea...
                Well, you'd think so, yet crushing credit card debt is a major epidemic in this country. Believe me, what you described is precisely where my issues with credit card debt started, and where millions of people's problems started as well. Trust me when I say that we were all pretty much frightfully too clever for our own good. Like I said, "playing with the bank's money."

Unless you pay it all back, at 12 months and 1 day, that 29% interest rate comes crashing down on you like an Acme Anvil in a Roadrunner cartoon, and midwife's you into a whole new world of hurt. When you see first time haunters idly musing over whether or not to spend $10K or $20K or more on their haunt, much less some $8K on one room, then that is just a disaster waiting to happen.

Consider, if they had the money, they wouldn't need to use the credit card, yes? Well, what? Are they going to have a spare $20K lying around in 12 months and 1 day that they can use to pay that debt off in full? Are they planning on winning the lottery about that time? Did they already take out a second mortgage on their home to cover expenses, and are pretty skint as it is? What if they face a financial crisis? Based on real world results, if they didn't have it at the start of the year, they probably won't have it at the end of the year either. I know I didn't.

These are all realities that regular people face, even without taking on something as risky as a haunt. I don't know how much credit card debt you have, but I know from my own experience and the experience of millions of other people, this is a risky game to play.

(Now, that being said, a few thousand in available credit for incidentals during a successful run, that might be more tenable.)

C.
                Last edited by BrotherMysterio; 07-27-2012, 08:39 AM. Reason: Tone . . . having been thru what I've been thru, this is a serious subject for me. I hate credit card companies.

Comment

I agree, IF you're going to use a card, keep it at a manageable amount. Part of the reasoning here is if you ever need a serious loan for real world problems, high amounts of revolving (cc) debt is the worst thing you can show; that will make you a much higher risk to the bank, so you'll wither need to pay more money down or a higher interest rate.

If youre not getting a loan, Another option is to get a LINE OF CREDIT through your bank. This will have a slightly higher interest rate, but like a cc you only pay for what you use. An added benefit is you will develop a deeper relationship with your bank, which ultimately leads to waived fees and better/faster service. But keep in mind that a LOC is also revolving debt..

Again, avoid unmanageable amounts on any credit card, unless you have a foolproof schedule of payments based on a fixed amount, so that you pay it off before that 0% goes away. There's also the balance transfer game but let's just not go there lol.

Comment

Working...
                  X