Maggot Dropper for about $50.00

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maggot Dropper for about $50.00

So a couple years ago we saw a "Maggot Sifter" at the trade show - That same year we didn't have the budget so we stuck a person on a platform and had them sprinkle rice on guests...it worked great but took up a needed actor.

This year we decided to bring back the maggots since we bought a few projectors for bugs - Well I looked at the price tag of the "Maggot Sifter"....$950??? Now I don't like to bash companies and the company with this item has some awesome stuff.....but $950? especially when you can tell what it's made out of??

So here is how we built ours for about $50.00 in about an hours time today -

Parts needed:
    50lb Capacity Drop Spreader - $30-$40 (link shows a 75lb one) : http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Ga...&storeId=10051
    Make sure it is a "DROP" spreader and not a broadcast spreader

Wiper Motor, or some other slow RPM motor such as a rotisserie motor - $10-$15

Power Source For Motor: I used an old computer power source which are great for providing +3 Volts, 7+ Volts, and +12 Volts. I use +3 volts to run the wiper motor and it works great.

Assembly: It's as easy as putting the spreader together minus the wheels and handle bar - attach your motor to the axle, I used JB weld for the time being until I can get an axle made that will fit directly onto my wiper motor.

Attach your power source and there you have it - I plan to attach a Sensor so the motor will only spin for about 5 seconds each time it is triggered. I suggest putting the spread adjustment bar on the spreader to slow down the feed of rice.

Here is the video of it working: http://youtu.be/kt-7C_vnu8o

Any questions feel free to ask!! Hope you get some ideas from this.

How long until you have to refill or how much do you use in a 4 hour time frame?

Thanks! And thanks for posting!

Comment

Well wit the adjustable rate, and using a sensor to only run it about 5 seconds or so each time its triggered I would think a 50lb capacity should easily last you 4 hours.....but I haven't tested it for very long. The rice should be fairly reusable - we plan on laying down artificial turf or carpet so the dried rice on the floor doesn't create a slip hazard - and it should make it easy to pick it up at the end of the night.

Comment

good idea. I have been lookin for something like this to drop tiny spiders.

Comment

Working...
        X