Outdoor speakers for haunted woods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor speakers for haunted woods

Im needing some help with this issue i'm thinking of using boat speakers and mp3 players but i would be open to any other way that is cheap and weather resistant i have done many indoor haunts but this is the first out door

You can us regular speakers and black trash bags. Cheap and weather proof!
    BARN OF TERROR
    www.barnofterror.us

Comment

silicone on the seams and screws of any speakers
      Like a midget at a urinal, you gotta be on your toes

http://www.wellstownshiphauntedhouse.com

Comment

Outdoor vs Indoor

I use the same speakers inside as I do out. Just protect them from the elements and take them inside each night if you're woried about them getting damaged.

Just keep in mind that sound doesn't travel in open air like it does in an enclosed space. Electricity isn't as easy to come by when your sene is out in the woods. Planning for outdoor sound normally takes a bit more that planning for indoor sound.

how big is your woods? is the entire event outside? does your path make a big loop or U?
        Last edited by rfsystems; 07-14-2012, 03:06 PM. Reason: added questions
        Chris Riehl
        Sales@spookyfinder.com
        (586)209-6935
        www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

I helped my outdoor speakers

By placing them in steel barrels or half-barrels for durable weather shelters and fairly idiot-proof too. Steel barrels are pretty cheap many places.
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

it is 3.5 acres u shape design in the woods no indoor at all also i agree about sound being harder to deal with outside. Thanks for all the feedback you guys are awsome

Comment

Electricity

The last hey ride I worked on we did a mix of AC and DC sound systems. 110v Ac for the ones that carried the ambiant sound and 12v DC for the scene sound systems.
              3.5 acres wouldn't be that bad to run AC power lines, run a main line like 10/2 up the center of your U and branch off out to your trail (depending on your watts/amp load) with 12/2.
              Extension cords are considered temporary and usualy don't require inspecting. I'd recomend using some electrical tape on your cord connections to keep them from pulling apart and weather tight.
              Chris Riehl
              Sales@spookyfinder.com
              (586)209-6935
              www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Power Drops!

Running a line for 80 feet to power an air compressor and the motor might not even run. I saw this when an electrician was building his new house and he couldn't figure out why? (Not much of an electrician, I guess?)
                One time there was talk of moving the local Mayfest to the city park and they thought they could power it from the streetlights all ready there! Not a chance in Hell! Cookers, food tents, sound systems= Nope!
                Same thing here in my parking lot when the food tent people forgot to get a line ran for power(down the pole by the power Co.) and then they got mad when I refused to "throw them a drop-cord across 90 foot of parking lot to power all their coffee makers, hot dog grills, ex cetra!
                Get as mad as you want to, it just doesn't "WORK"! (Yer not blowing my breaker box or blaming me for a brownout and damage to your cookers.)
                Funny thing was a guy setting up an inflatable Laser-Tag device ALSO wanted ME to "Throw Him a drop cord" that night too! (A big bunch of lights, several blower motors, recharging stations for the guns)
                I guess I'm just a mean guy?
                "DUH!?"
                hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Amp/watts

Sound systems can draw alot of power. keep track of your amp load and voltage loss over the length of your power run. Get with a local electrician to help you plan your run, just to be safe.
                  Chris Riehl
                  Sales@spookyfinder.com
                  (586)209-6935
                  www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Audio engineering

Outdoor audio is tricky for many reasons. There are many variables to consider but to answer your specific questions:

1. Speakers - when you put a trash bag over the speakers, you might get a rattle from the bag bouncing from the audio. We had this issue last year with a high-output speaker and ended up cutting a hole in the front to allow the speaker to work properly. Remember that sound is created by the speaker pushing air. I have gone to outdoor speakers - less hassle and I don't have to bring them in at night. The amplifier is very small and can be mounted inside props along with the audio repeater.

2. Coverage - You need to also look at your area (or zone) where you want audio to be heard. Trees, shrubs, and other obstructions will alter the sound and its direction. If you are planning on a long throw you will need of course to up your wattage on the amplifiers and speakers.

3. Players - I have made the move to all audio repeaters. Even for outside. I build simple little enclosures that act as props to keep them in, but this is far better than using a CD player out in the elements. The audio repeaters do not take a lot of current to run, and they are instant on when the power is applied (of course you will need amplified speakers for these to work). This has saved me from having to spend half an hour running around to a bunch of CD players and making sure they were looping. Also consider that now yoga re outdoors you are more susceptible to electrical problems, and you don't want to have to run around restarting all your audio when power is restored.

Just a few little things to think about. Hope this helps.
                    Travis "Big T" Russell
                    President
                    Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

Could you please specify?

Big T, what are these "repeaters?" Wikipedia is confusing. From what I gathered, it basically receives and then sends a radio signal wirelessly?

Comment

Nvm I think I was off.

This seems to fit the context better...
                        http://www.eletech.com/Products/Audi...ve_systems.htm

A device that stores and plays audio files, but with no moving parts that will break down...

Awesome idea!

Comment

That got me thinking.... you mentioned something along the lines of 'instant on' once power is supplied...

Am I correct in assuming you can trigger a sound effect, simply by manipulation the power on/off? (As in an actor triggering his own scream from a speaker behind him)

Thanks

Comment

Audio repeaters

The audio repeater is basically an MP3/WAV player. Most of them use SD cards that you save files to, and they read these files based on the file name (each vendor is a little different here).. The audio can be activated as soon as power is up and plays continuously, or you can get triggered models that will play different files when triggered by switch or sensor, or another controller.

These things have saved the day for us and are easy to setup and use. They run about $130 depending on what you want them to do. They also make video repeaters but this is a little trickier because ou have to know how to convert DVD videos for play on an SD card (not hard but time consuming).. The same advantage with video players - the video starts as soon as power is up! And they also can be triggered.

If you have ever been to a museum or seen a kiosk with interactive audio, you have seen an audio repeater in use. BTW, they have limited amplification so you will need amplified speakers.
                            Travis "Big T" Russell
                            President
                            Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I see frightprops has one, the boo tunes. Its about $130. The site I linked to has them for cheaper, but its 8 bit not cd quality. The cheapest they have of cd quality--$139.

Comment

Working...
                              X