Outdoor speakers for haunted woods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio Rrepeaters

Hello! Can you tell me what type of audio repeaters you have used?

Thanks!

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by BigT View Post
      If you have ever been to a museum or seen a kiosk with interactive audio, you have seen an audio repeater in use. BTW, they have limited amplification so you will need amplified speakers.
      How do you interface it with an amplified speaker, and what do you think of 70-Volt PA Systems?

C.

Comment

Originally posted by BrotherMysterio View Post
        How do you interface it with an amplified speaker, and what do you think of 70-Volt PA Systems?

C.
        Most amplified speakers have a patch cord input. (1/8" mini or 1/4" standard) A lot of people get confused about amplified speakers, but your computer speakers are more than likely amplified speakers. If they have their own power cord then they're amplified speakers. Their size really depends on the wattage. They can be as small as computer speakers (which I've heard some pretty loud ones with their own sub woofer) or as big as PA speakers like what's used for a small band. Amplified speakers would be good for use in a single scene where you don't want the sound to be heard through-out the haunt.

70v systems are a great way to cover a vast area with minimal wiring and one good size amp. They generally aren't as loud as amplified speakers because of their lower wattage design, but they do a better job of filling a vast or large area because you can use more speakers. 70v would be good for Q-lines and background or ambient sound though-out a haunt. Could also double as you public address system for announcements and such. They are also easier to wire up in most cases because you use raw wire and cut it to the length you need instead of having to buy multiple batch cords for everything.
        Chris Riehl
        Sales@spookyfinder.com
        (586)209-6935
        www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Originally posted by rfsystems View Post
          Most amplified speakers have a patch cord input. (1/8" mini or 1/4" standard) A lot of people get confused about amplified speakers, but your computer speakers are more than likely amplified speakers. If they have their own power cord then they're amplified speakers. Their size really depends on the wattage. They can be as small as computer speakers (which I've heard some pretty loud ones with their own sub woofer) or as big as PA speakers like what's used for a small band. Amplified speakers would be good for use in a single scene where you don't want the sound to be heard through-out the haunt.
          What can be done with 12v?

Originally posted by rfsystems View Post
          70v systems are a great way to cover a vast area with minimal wiring and one good size amp. They generally aren't as loud as amplified speakers because of their lower wattage design, but they do a better job of filling a vast or large area because you can use more speakers. 70v would be good for Q-lines and background or ambient sound though-out a haunt. Could also double as you public address system for announcements and such. They are also easier to wire up in most cases because you use raw wire and cut it to the length you need instead of having to buy multiple batch cords for everything.
          That's what I thought and that's what I was leaning towards.

C.

Comment

This is what we are using this year:

This AMP
            http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=310-304

Plus this:
            http://www.onlyfactorydirect.com/p-3...-pcs-4r4g.aspx

Gets you 4 speakers that can even run off of battery power.

Honestly depends on how much volume you need. These we place many of them close to the path so they do not need to be too loud.

Comment

BLOOD, thanks for the link! I didn't know they had amplifiers that could do all of that; and who would've thought they'd be so inexpensive!?

Have you had a chance to hook them up yet and test it all out? How does it sound???

Comment

I did have a chance to test them, and they sound OK. You will need a bigger power supply to really drive them hard.

The piece I liked the best was the SD card MP3 player that remembers where it left off when you put power back on the unit. That and the auto-repeat.

At that price its worth giving it a shot and letting us know your feedback as well. Worse case just use it as a repeater and hook up a bigger amp.

Comment

Also those speakers can be driven pretty hard. You could always recycle old home theater amps and use them as well.. Cheap and easy to get at flea markets and usually put out 70-100 watts a channel.

Comment

Thanks.

So let me get this straight, you are plugging these amps into an ac source, and using them to power those rock speakers. If each amp is running four speakers, you must have multiple amps. Is there a way to unify them all so that you have a constant "theme" music? Or are you simply running different loops on each, and the music changes as one progresses down the path?

Comment

We are only using 4 speaker per area, so each amp has a different sound track.

But there are RCA jacks on the back for audio input / output. So you should be able to connect together as many as you need using the first one as a master.

They also have a couple more powerful amps on the site, so you could use one of these as the MP3 repeater then chain together some of the more powerful amps as well.

Comment

Amplified speakers and audio repeaters

I use the PicoBoo for two effects but it is limited in terms of audio length. For scenes where I need longer audio tracks and multiple audio tracks I use the Wav Runner from HauntBots. Works great, lets you save multiple tracks to one SD card and sequence through them or trigger each track. Comes in either replay only or triggerable as well for $130. There are many others out there but I found these to work really well.

For speakers I use a variety of types. I have some from OnlyFactory (or something like that) that have a USB player built in and a built-in battery. Works great on things like our golf cart and tram. The audio repeater plugs in via mini plug (just like a headset in a radio). I also have some speakers that are simply powered (amplified with no player) I bought this year for some of my other scenes.

I have some smaller speakers that are actually monitor speakers for recording studios. I bought them for my studio and found them to be real handy in the haunt. They are usually a little more expensive but very versatile and put out a lot of sound. Musicians use powered speakers for monitors so they don't have to add another amp in their PA system.

I also have a 32 channel PA system, with mixing console, speakers (SP2s which are big speakers) and amplifier that I use for area sound. The entire ticket area and concessions are covered by this system. The audio repeaters simply plug in where an instrument like a guitar would plug in. I can also run smaller individual powered speakers out of this console through the effects send channel. Gives me a lot of versatility in controlling where I put sound from one central location.

Being a sound and lighting guy, I prefer working with entertainment PAs and playback systems. I've never used a 70v system so can't tell you much about those. I have distributed sound though through a building using a PA system and some creativity!
                        Travis "Big T" Russell
                        President
                        Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

Excellent information from both of you, thanks.

A question for both: since you're both running outdoor haunts, what do you do with all the wiring and components to avoid red tape and safety problems (not to mention protecting your investment!)? A major concern since I'll be starting outside is how to do the wiring... im thinking run it above the maze obviously, but do you cover it with something to protect it from water?

Comment

Multiple sound systems

I also run multiple sound systems, although like "Big T" I also prefer the flexability of the "Entertainment type or live consel systems" like a live band wold use. I use a 24 ch consel with 8 aux sends, 8 sub groups, 2 stereo and 1 mono out, along with 8 stage monitor and 1 sub speaker. The flexability is great. Being able to send any sound I have playing to any room I wish. Plus I talk to the customers while they are making there way through the haunt, so the ability to add effects to my voice is a hugh benefit.

I've been doing the sound for the haunt I volunteer at for so long that the technology aspect of audio repeaters and scene controllers has yet to make its way into the mix of my CD players, computers and tape decks. The way these SD card players and audio repeaters connect into an audio chain is the same as a CD player or any other audio source and I cant wait to start replacing some of my aging technology with a few of these.

I also have a 12v car stereo hooked up to a 12v power supply to play CD's that I've made with different song mixes and informational notices like instructions and advertisements for the concession stand. My car stereo is 100w x 4ch. I use 2 "Planter Speakers" that are actual flowr pots, I barried 2 - 12 gauge extention cords in the ground for my speaker wires between the haunt and the waiting area were the speakers are loctaed. This sytem plays for 6 plus hours a night without any problems.

Planter Speakers like these... http://www.overstock.com/Electronics...2/product.html

A 70v system only pertains to the amp and type of speakers used, audio repeaters, CD players, microphones and other sound sources can all be used with 70v systems, amplified speakers, "Entertainment type" systems. Its all in how you hook it up.
                            Chris Riehl
                            Sales@spookyfinder.com
                            (586)209-6935
                            www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

First, awesome info! Longer response forthcoming.

Now . . .

Originally posted by HauntedLehmanPark View Post
                              Plus this:
                              http://www.onlyfactorydirect.com/p-3...-pcs-4r4g.aspx

Gets you 4 speakers that can even run off of battery power.
                              . . . can we get the indoor, non-rock version of those?

Tho, that said, they could probably work indoors in scenes involving rocks or stones.

C.

Comment

Working...
                              X