No announcement yet.

How do you build wall panels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ALAN, OBVIOSLY WALL PANELS HAVE TO BE RECTANGLES. HOW ELSE WOULD YOU MAKE A MAZE?

I'VE BUILT PLENTLY OF WALLS. i JUSST NEEDED TO KNOW A BETTER WAY. SORRY NO ONE HERE COULD HELP.

Comment

Originally posted by Hell House 666 LLC View Post
      ALAN, OBVIOSLY WALL PANELS HAVE TO BE RECTANGLES. HOW ELSE WOULD YOU MAKE A MAZE?
      It is customary to add plywood triangles to the corners of various framing conventions to strengthen and reinforce the usually rectangular frame. The triangles in question usually have an angle break-down of 90°-45°-45°, ergo, they thus fit neatly into corners based on a 90° angle, which, as it happens, most rectangles do.

That's what was being referred to.

C.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by BrotherMysterio; 07-22-2012, 12:09 AM.

Comment

One method (couldn't find a pic with plywood)

ps2.jpg
        Haunt: DARK REALMS

Day job: Game Composer/Sound Designer

My "geek rock" band: Legendary nOObs

Comment

"ALAN, OBVIOSLY WALL PANELS HAVE TO BE RECTANGLES. HOW ELSE WOULD YOU MAKE A MAZE?

I'VE BUILT PLENTLY OF WALLS. i JUSST NEEDED TO KNOW A BETTER WAY. SORRY NO ONE HERE COULD HELP."

Hell House, in my post I said "You can use plywood triangles on the non skinned side to strengthen the corners" nothing about that says to build triangular wall panels. My name is my screen name, and I sign most of my posts, take a second and look at who you are addressing and bother to spell the name right.
          You're "Sorry no one here could help"? People did help, they tried to help you with an answer to your vague question which could have been easily searched and found an answer for. If ALL the answers posted still have not helped you build a wall panel then you should not build one.
          It is obvious that you are VERY new to haunting and the message boards, why not just read them for a few weeks and get a feel for them, try searching for your questions before you ask them, and if you dont understand an answer you were given then ask questions to clarify instead of assuming they were wrong.
          Try to be courteous to others by not wasting their time. May I ask how old you are, it might help to clarify some behavior?
          Allen H
          www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
          http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

I'm guessing he lives in Virginia, english is not his normal language, spanish is sort of, and even that is messed up because he is deaf and about 34 by now and on drugs. But, that is just a guess. Decorating the front porch of his dad's house is a challenge with help from his uncle, freind next door and maybe grandfather?

And for people in altered conciousnesses like this I AM THE MODERATOR EL SUPREMO and you CAN make a rectangle out of two triangles if they are in the same plane and the length and hypotenuse is larger/greater than the width. It just requires screws that are 48 inches long. Then file the ends off if they stick out anywhere. Do not use power tools for any of this screwing or filing, do it all old school for quality.
            Last edited by Greg Chrise; 07-22-2012, 11:15 AM.
            sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Chrise View Post
              I'm guessing he lives in Virginia, english is not his normal language, spanish is sort of, and even that is messed up because he is deaf and about 34 by now and on drugs. But, that is just a guess. Decorating the front porch of his dad's house is a challenge with help from his uncle, freind next door and maybe grandfather?

And for people in altered conciousnesses like this I AM THE MODERATOR EL SUPREMO and you CAN make a rectangle out of two triangles if they are in the same plane and the length and hypotenuse is larger/greater than the width. It just requires screws that are 48 inches long. Then file the ends off if they stick out anywhere. Do not use power tools for any of this screwing or filing, do it all old school for quality.
              Um... *lip smack lip smack* ... yeup.

I lol'd.

Comment

Triangle?

You know"Triangles" could make some pretty obscure walls. Definently not what anyone would expect to see. You might have to use a few more braces to hold them up, but could turn out pretty wierd. Maybe I'll try some cardboard models to see what can be done with "Triangles".
                Chris Riehl
                Sales@spookyfinder.com
                (586)209-6935
                www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Im glad to share that this post at least helped me lol. I didn't catch before that they are PLYWOOD triangles... I assumed metal, and thought damn that might get expensive! Glad I read this post

Comment

Originally posted by BrotherMysterio View Post
                    JB Corn's book has a lot of excellent info on that and goes into the topic thoroughly. In fact, he tells you how to build an entire haunt from the ground up . . . literally. (His was built on a deck so it could be built over any terrain . . . an ATH: All Terrain Haunt!) I can send you the link to a PDF version if you like. His books are now free and in the public domain.

C.
                    Would you mind if I can have a link to that file?

Comment

Originally posted by rfsystems View Post
                      You know"Triangles" could make some pretty obscure walls. Definently not what anyone would expect to see. You might have to use a few more braces to hold them up, but could turn out pretty wierd. Maybe I'll try some cardboard models to see what can be done with "Triangles".
                      Post pics!

Originally posted by Dark Hill Haunts View Post
                      Would you mind if I can have a link to that file?
                      Sent!

Just don't use OSB. Trade that one bit out for some 5mil plywood. A lot lighter, easier to paint, and doesn't soak up moisture like a sponge.

C.

Comment

I agree. The ONLY reason I'm using OSB is because budget got tight quick! Even the double sided panels are going up one sided, and will be getting the 2nd after it's up.

If this is a success for us, meaning, if it pays next years rent, we'll be doing the rest in all Luan or similar. Our store doesn't have anything labeled "luan", so the only thing I figured was the 1/4 underlayment. Looks exactly the same, may just be different places have different names? Like Masonite, when I went to find masonite for my airbrushing shirt boards, all I found with that name was the siding!

I already had a couple of thousand nails with the airguns, so I'm using nails for the frames for the time being. We're still using 2x3's, but really, they're not THAT much more than the 2x2's here, and 'sides, if you saw our options for the 2x2's you'd laugh. Not a straight board in the bunch. Lowe's or Home Depot in 30 miles both fail to carry a good 2x2.

Dewayne

Comment

Originally posted by Frightener View Post
                          Not a straight board in the bunch. Lowe's or Home Depot in 30 miles both fail to carry a good 2x2.
                          An all too common occurrence, regrettably. As for the rest of it, well, work with what you got.

Right now I'm working on a 13 string bass, and I'm using pine to do the proof of concept, cuz that's what I got. As soon as things sort out, I'm going with the good stuff.

C.

Comment

I have buckets full of 8 inch triangles already painted for back corner support and generally don't even install them until a panel becomes weak or needs a repair.

Nails are still a definite no no. As the panel wiggles around these nails can work their way out and become things for patrons to get cut on as they go by. With screws you can take off a whole piece of lumber and replace it. Some things being not totally square are okay but then you discover some helper did something totally irregular and have to redo it. With screws you can totally redo it. Sometimes you don't find wonky things until you are setting up. Trying to stick this next to that. Even doing everything yourself you become tired and have to deal with #2 and #3 lumber that you think you have bent straight and then screwed in. Again you don't find it until you actually try to set up.
                            sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Just got back from looking around at the buildings. Actually the last thing we were doing, was we were only using the nailguns to get the panels in place, usually 1 maybe 2 nails, then screwing the rest.

It got to the point my brother was building the panels as I was finishing putting one up, or putting foam up / carving. He was also using mainly screws for the frame, but still using nails for the panel. I think I'm going to go ahead and switch still. I see a LOT of folks still using staples in luan. So I believe I may try a 50/50 with screws and brads. Staples are double and grab and keep from twisting more than a nail. I may pick one up as well, not sure.

Our panels are going together nicely, however, the end walls, and some of the other walls I really don't want to have to repair / replace.

Dewayne

Comment

Repair or replace sound like words to me. They really mean being able to get crap apart and use some things or throwing broken crap into the land fill because it can't come apart and be repaired easily, then needs to be replaced. Staples do not come apart and I have spent countless hours getting things apart and digging out the little ends of things with vice grips screw drivers, various pliers and pry bars. All this real work has my muscles strong enough to rip my own joints apart if that is somehow impressive but, if it was all screws you can have some of the very same lumber being of service for 30 years.

You would be surprised how much abuse things take. Usually this abuse is in tearing it apart and moving it off season, people dropping it and leaning tons of things on each other. Although not intentional I have dropped panels in tearing the whole thing down and broke the verticle boards right in half. I have had actors beat the sheeting off the lumber and someone has to fix all this stuff.

Staples are great if you are building 5,000 SF really fast and selling it to someone else to worry about the maintenance or disposal. I had one guy that did a lot of that put in a small nail to keep things in place while he lined things up, looks really pro when doing it but again, I'm the idiot that ends up finding these damn nails and figuring out how to get them out of this or that. Screws can generally be gotten out somehow.

In short, just so you know, I said NO!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X