How to keep panels Air Tight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to keep panels Air Tight?

If one is building on an uneven surface (say parking lot or grass) the wall panels will land on differing angles. So do you use spray foam in between uneven panels to fill in spaces? Or line the back with dark cloth? Or something im not thinking about?

Thanks to any who respond...

Scott

Originally posted by scottylmt View Post
    If one is building on an uneven surface (say parking lot or grass) the wall panels will land on differing angles. So do you use spray foam in between uneven panels to fill in spaces? Or line the back with dark cloth? Or something im not thinking about?

Thanks to any who respond...

Scott
    That's why JB liked building on decks.

C.

Comment

Well of course C! But im trying to eliminate the 2-5 grand, plus a boatload of extra work!!! Im starting lean over here, and that means monetarily, and SKILL im sure you've noticed LMAO.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Trying to think why you would need them air tight? When we built our haunt our grass slanted slightly so we shimmed the bottoms with 2x4s as well as across the top.
        Zach Wiechmann
        www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

Lol I meant light tight.

And I used the search and found this link in case anybody else is interested..
          http://www.hauntworld.com/haunted_ho...l+panels+tight

Some good ideas. Summary: wallpaper then paint over it. Black tape. Leave the cracks and embrace the confusion the light/sound bleed creates... then enhance it by having holes in the wall, bars, chicken wire etc...

Great info!

Excuse my ignorance, but what does "shimmed " mean?

Thx!

Comment

Btw, front yard fright, do you have some youtube vids up? One in particular where you're wearing that mask and smoking a cigar???

Comment

Masking tape before painting works the best.
              www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
              http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Well I guess it would depend on your application, but I don't think a little crack at the bottom of a wall would leak enough light to cause any problems... However if that may be the case, 2x4's should work just fine. A shim is something used to fill in a space to align parts to make them fit better. (I'd draw you up a diagram quick but I don't have anything on this particular computer.

As far as seems in between the panels, I've used duct tape in the past with decent results. It also works well if a wall panel is warped and the fronts of the plywood don't meet up perfectly. (I should add, use the name brand stuff, not the off brand!) After it's all taped up, we would use a staple gun for added measure to assure the tape didn't fall off after a heavy rain. We then just painted it the same color as our walls and wa-la! It actually did a pretty awesome job of hiding the seams.

As far as YouTube videos, you must have me confused with someone else.

:P.

Hope this helps!
                Zach Wiechmann
                www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

The Ridley Scott Effect . . .

Before you get too happy with the masking tape, remember, Ridley Scott made a career out of rays of light shining thru fog from cracks in the wall.

C.

Comment

Panels

Just remember it is a Haunted House. We have a chandlier at the introduction with two bulbs that are blowed,this was not on purpose. One customer says to my actor during his speech "Mister some of those lights don't work". His response " Well, my darling the property is haunted". My point is everything does not have to be perfect.

Comment

Thanks to all. Lmao at ridley Scott effect!

Great points, and there is def a way to make it enhance the effect.

Comment

Working...
                      X