credit card processor squre one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• credit card processor squre one

looking for credit card processor for Iphone is anyone familar with square one thanks
    http://www.hustonville.com

The latest episode of the Big Scary Show has a interview with the guy that runs Hauntpay. He might be able to help you out...

www.hauntpay.com
    http://www.bigscaryshow.com
    http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

im abig fan of square, squareup.com, its safe, reliable, secure, and the funds go into your account next day. and the fees are very competative at only 2.75%

hauntpay?

Comment

And NO monthly fee and NO set up or initial machine fee. I use it for my massage clinic. HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT.

Comment

Originally posted by screamforadream View Post
          im abig fan of square, squareup.com, its safe, reliable, secure, and the funds go into your account next day. and the fees are very competative at only 2.75%

hauntpay?

Squares Up's own website "Card-processing systems adhere to PCI Data Security Standard (PCI-DSS) Level 1." This is about the only concrete security details they give. The rest is warm and fuzzy feeling kind of stuff.

I don't know all the details of PCI compliance though, but I believe there are 4 levels to it and square is on the lower part of the totem pole with it. Transmitting CC data over the air ways? Common sense tells you that adds a little bit more risk to each transaction. Don't get me wrong, anything bad actually happening is still very slim to none, but it seems Square Up trades off a little bit of security over ease of use and setup. I believe the gadget they send you also transmits your physical location to Square Up to help bolster their claims of security. Go offsite with your Iphone and run a credit card? Who knows what is written in their agreements with users. I know if there is a breach your butt will be in a sling.

I have a seasonal merchant account with my local bank. 2.75% plus 29 cents. This is for onsite and online transactions. If your gonna advertise that your going to accept credit cards then why not do it online as well? You will get some peoples money even quicker. My account is also seasonal which means I don't have all the ridiculous monthly fees every month through out the other parts of the year.
          Last edited by Skeered; 07-21-2012, 02:12 PM.

Comment

CC Machine??

Skeered, what do they charge you for the machine?
            Travis "Big T" Russell
            President
            Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

I bought a Verifone Vx510 off ebay. Mine will hook up straight to DSL. They go for around $100 and up. Think I caught mine at $140 or so new in packaging. You don't have to buy the equipment from whoever sets you up with a merchant account. They will have a list of 20+ terminals that will work. I have another seasonal business other than haunting so I will use this terminal for it as well. Just have to make sure it goes to a different bank account.

Main thing I still like about your traditional merchant accounts is that if something happens I have a local guy to go to or a phone number that will get a hold of someone. I didn't see a single phone # on Square Ups website. I am not trying to knock Square. I just see a little bit looser security and heaven forbid something goes wrong on Halloween day what kind of response will you get or how long will it take to get up and running again. What if you are out in the boondocks and get a little bit of bad reception?
              Last edited by Skeered; 07-21-2012, 08:02 PM.

Comment

There is Square which you can get a dongle for free or $10 at an Apple store. They take a small % from the total transaction amount with no other monthly fees. I've been using them for a while and the only hicup that I ran into was be sure to always use the dongle to swipe cards if you want the money deposited within 48 hours of collection. Otherwise, if you key it in manually, then you have to wait up to 30 days for any transactions over $2,000. I personally recommend Square as they are the only one's that can do the 48 hour deposit time which is really nice.

The other option that I've recently started testing with is PayPal Here which is basically a Square type clone service. This let's you swipe a card and for a small fee, process the transaction. If you have a paypal account already that is already wired to your bank account, this can be a great alternative. I also have a Mastercard tied into my PayPal account, so if I need cash, instead of waiting to deposit into my bank account, I can just use the mastercard to withdrawal it directly from my PayPal account. The only hesitation that I would have about using PayPal for ticketing at a haunt is some of the horror stories I've heard about PayPal freezing accounts and funds.
                News and event coverage from directly inside the Haunt Industry - http://www.hauntersdigest.com
                Get a Website and/or Mobile App for Your Attraction - http://www.charlesterry.com

Comment

Square is great and safer in my opinion than a standard swipe machine. You never have to swipe their card. I love the system.
                  Allen H
                  www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Lol. Guess I am the only one not completely sold on Square and its security. Maybe if I had an Iphone I would look at it more favorably. However I simply can't get past not being able to accept credit cards on my haunts website. As MovieRelic stated his concerns about Paypal freezing accounts, I have similar concerns with Square having the same ability as well. They seem to be in the category of an internet only business with no customer service if something happens. What any merchant account processors won't tell you is that they can and will freeze your funds for 180 days despite saying deposits will be made the next day or whenever.
                    Last edited by Skeered; 07-22-2012, 12:32 PM.

Comment

I can chime in a bit with this one since we work with card processors all of the time. It's integrated into our ticketing and retail point of sale software.

SWIPED - Whenever you can swipe a card, you will get the best rate. Card present transactions typically possess less risk of fraud.

Non-Swiped/Keyed (also considered MOTO) - Higher processing fee charged to you per transaction if you have to manually key in the card numbers (more risk).

Ecommerce - Typically the highest processing fee charged. Highest risk of fraud/chargebacks.

Square - Great because anyone can set up an account within minutes. No application process, monthly fees, or hardware to buy (aside from the iOS device or Android device). Deposited directly into your bank account. 2.75% SWIPED or 3.5% KEYED (no swipe). If you exceed I believe $2000 worth of transactions in a week of non swiped, then I believe they can hold the funds unless you contact them. I only use Square for AMEX transactions. Square does not have any customer service number listed. Only contact is through email. I haven't heard of anyone using Square as a high volume processor so not sure of the hold back if any.

Traditional Merchant Account - You typically would have to buy the hardware or lease it. Some companies provide the software that can be installed on your computer so no terminal purchase needed. Just the card swipe (~$65). There is a brief application process, and monthly fees are deducted (~$20 month). Most processors will let you put your account in seasonal standby and charge around five or ten bucks a month when you're not processing. Traditional merchant processors have the LOWEST SWIPED FEES. With my haunt it's around 1.75% Visa/MC/Disc SWIPED. Cash is usually in your bank account in 1 - 2 business days. Don't forget, transactions run on Friday night will not be in your account on Saturday or Sunday. Traditional merchant accounts are always recommended for high volume processing and most I've come across have 24/7 support (sometimes you have to call in for authorization).

PayPal - I know they are offering a lot of new products to compete with Square and have not checked them out since I did my online ticketing through Paypal years ago. I did have a few problems with paypal back in the day and know of other haunters that had issues as well regarding account freezes.

My advice, if you're taking over $10,000 in credit card payments in 30 days, go with the traditional merchant account. Less then that you may want to check out Square and Paypal.
                      Ken Darrigo
                      ClearCut Operations, Inc.
                      ClearCut Operations | http://www.clearcutoperations.com
                      TerrorDome Haunted Scream Park | http://www.terrordome.com

Comment

Square vs. Merchant

I used to have a merchant account with my other business, It became costly with all the added fees, cost of the terminal, etc. I opened a Square account, and they do provide you with a customer service number if you have problems. If you use a GSM network (ATT or T-Mobile are GSM) the air-interface to the tower is encrypted. No security concerns there. Businesses all over Europe and Asia are now accepting payments through cell phones now, eliminating the need for credit cards. They have actually seen fraud go way down as a result.

THere are a few new companies coming out with similar services as Squared. I personally like the fee structure better than the merchant accounts, and the responsiveness I have seen to date. Just my two cents.
                        Travis "Big T" Russell
                        President
                        Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

How about PayPals similar to Square and a bit cheaper in fees.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
                            The latest episode of the Big Scary Show has a interview with the guy that runs Hauntpay. He might be able to help you out...

www.hauntpay.com
                            shameless plug
                            Like a midget at a urinal, you gotta be on your toes

http://www.wellstownshiphauntedhouse.com

Comment

Working...
                            X