Silicone Masks, Overrated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Wilmont Estate View Post
    Doing a mold for a silicone mask is very hard and dangerous. you have to use fiberglass or some kind of resin. It is a very dangerous process and if you don't have the proper respirators and clothing you can damage your health.
    Not always. Fiberglass and resin is not the only option. You can use Ultracal 30, a type of plaster/cement to make your mold. It is heavier.

And I would say sculpting is harder than molding/casting. I exchanged some emails, and had a single phone call with the best Haunt how to guy we have (Allen H) and was able to make my own silicone mask within a month's time.

So I learned how to do it and succeeded all without ever having met the man, but my sculpting was mediocre at best, and that reflected in my final product. But that takes lots and lots of practice.

I am these so called tom dick and harry's, obviously my quality can't match CFX, but my molding process went perfectly, and only a few problems during the casting, that I now know how to remedy after trying it for myself.

Scultping/painting - talent and skill

Molding/Casting - Knowledge is power (a little skill helps)

As for the original question: Since I am an actor only, I will never go back to latex after having worn silicone. I supply my own masks and costumes, and I don't care where I am, either makeup/silicone.
    Last edited by RobfromErie; 07-24-2012, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Making a fiberglass mold is easy. In Vegas it can still be pretty hot in Halloween and a silicon mask outdoors gets extremely hot.. maybe in that case a hood back would be ideal.

Comment

I think both have their place in haunted houses. If its in your budget, buy one. If not, buy makeup or latex half masks.

Comment

Originally posted by tonguesandwich View Post
          Making a fiberglass mold is easy. In Vegas it can still be pretty hot in Halloween and a silicon mask outdoors gets extremely hot.. maybe in that case a hood back would be ideal.
          That's exactly why we made our silicone half masks with a sweat wicking hood!
          For all you guys that have a hot haunt season... Here in Pa it's not to bad for the most part, but alot of haunts over that way or down south arent so lucky...
          Jarred Alcala
          Owner
          Shattered FX

www.Shatteredfx.com
          www.Facebook.com/Shatteredfxmasks

Comment

Working...
          X