Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anybody done a room like this?

http://www.synapsefx.com/images/stor...0Bag-ReCut.jpg

Im working on a quarantine/28 weeks later theme, and this type of set design would be perfect. It looks easy enough to do... my question is actually legality.

For your haunt, have you gotten away with doing an all plastic room? And were there special circumstances that allowed it?

Also, if I am outdoor, could I do MOST of my haunt in this fusion?

Thanks guys.

Scott

Also, im aware that the floor would be a trip hazard. So obviously the only times id do it exactly as pictured, would be actor only rooms that customers only look into.

Comment

What about some white fire retardant plastic? 6mil on the page here

http://www.americover.com/fire_retar...ing_35_ctg.htm

I've been in a room like this, but the plastic was painted white / grey off of clear. I DOUBT it was fire retardant, it was a very small budget haunt. Still black plastic for walls.

the room would be great. I'd make them walk through it!! Use lots of varnish or something to make the blood look all wet on the floor :P Or use that expensive blood, ahh, forgot the name but.. perma blood? Forgot who sells it but I think it stays wet looking too.

BTW, you could / should be able to do a wood floor, paint it the same color as the plastic and take grey spray paint and paint some shadows like wrinkles on the floor if you wanted. I've airbrushed similar on walls before with good turnouts.

Dewayne

Comment

Thanks for the reply! I've been looking for fire retardant plastic, and so far was only able to find black, so thanks for that! That floor idea is awesome too; got a feeling that will take some experimenting...

My original thought was to do the majority of the haunt like shown, since its a quarantine themes (and I thought it would be easy and cheap lol) but the fm was very anti plastic. Everything has to be "class a" here, and he said he had never heard of class a plastic in his career. I figured with an outdoor haunt, I may be able to get away with it

Comment

Scotty,
          Becareful of using the words "get away with it" in your posts. It makes you sound like you are trying to avoid the laws that are in place in order to keep your patrons safe. Plastic walls are a terrible idea for haunted attractions for many reasons, It burns well- sustains a flame- sticks to you like napalm-and releases toxic gasses when it burns. The fire marshal is not out to get you they just want you to have a safe show. This is a public forum, any firemarshal can pop on look up the haunts in their area and search for comments by them.
          Find another way if you can, but dont skimp on safety because it is cheap. It hurts all haunts when one burns down.
          Allen H
          www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
          http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

I got my green house plastic from here a few years ago and was very impressed with their fire retardant plastics.
            http://www.globalplasticsheeting.com...stic-sheeting/

Comment

Point noted. What I meant was "get approved by the fm." I wouldn't try to slide by the law in any way, bad choice of words.

And thanks for the link! When you say greenhouse, was that personal, or part of your fm approved haunt?

Thanks.

Comment

inside a haunt, it had sprinklers that dropped inside of the green house section.

Comment

Cool. Thats out of the question at this time for me... but I wonder if it would get approved for partial use of an outdoor haunt. That would really make my startup and set design easier!

Comment

Like those decorator shows that have the expensive rooms and then they try to replicate them...cheaply. It's not a matter of duplicating the room, merely replicating the look. Due to copyright infrigments you are not trying to duplicate a scene. So there is no real need to use clear plastic. Utilize a fire retardant white vinyl. The FM should not have a problem using that if you provide the certs. IF they have an issue with people going through the scene, have it walk past scene as suggested. If it is fire retardent vinyl and people are not entering the scene it should not have any problems.

Remember, replicate concepts, don't duplicate someone else's intellecual property!!
                    R&J Productions
                    Las Vegas, NV
                    www.LasVegasHaunts.com

Comment

DJ, I definitely agree. My intent is to capture that look; I've got TONS of ideas for unique scenes. My concern was seeing if anybody here has gotten something like this approved for an outdoor haunt. So far the comments have helped, so thanks!

A fire retardant white vinyl? That's a very good idea that I never looked at!

Comment

Blood Paint

Blood Paint is the other expensive blood referenced. Works great, stays glossy and real for years (I still have some on my garage floor that is from two years ago and people still think someone was bleeding today). Forget who the vendor is though. They sell at TW every year
                        Travis "Big T" Russell
                        President
                        Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

Working...
                        X