The Ballad of a First Time Haunt...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jim Warfield View Post
    Use boxes instead, a whole roomfull of them. (Returned items unable to be delivered from outer Space)
    Some of the boxes have real people in them (who need no costumes) they just move their box around.
    Some boxes are filled with deadly creatures from long lost galaxys, or maybe Impalas? (Buick specials?)
    Jim, scarily enough, I was on that same wavelength with my ideas for the cursed warehouse, the majority of my sets were going to be boxes and pallets. I'll be putting that one away for a rainy day.

As per Brother M's request, here's my first draft layout of the haunt. I know this will change as I need to get exact measurements of the changing rooms and those pointed walls, plus what the FM will have to say, plus plus, it's only a first draft. Details to follow:

hauntmap1.jpg

The Yellow areas are my exit corridors.
    The Green Areas are possible hidey hole locations.
    The Blue spaces are the unused dressing rooms. You'll note that one is not colored blue and has what looks to be a toilet in it. That's where I was thinking of having a little joke, patrons walking in on a clown "using the facilities". A tension breaker before the next scare.
    The Reddish dots are doors to the corridors and between scenes.
    The Orange is the back door that leads to the warehouse, where the break area/make up/wardrobe will be.
    The Purple Dots are areas where I was thinking of putting curtains/streamers/etc, to help separate areas.
    The Grey areas are those pointed walls, unusable space. I was thinking of lining the ones on the right side of the space with mirrors.

Areas 5 & 6 are the ones I was contemplating joining for the large open Pac-Maze/queue. I don't have any real thoughts yet what to do in each scene quite yet, just some random ideas to bounce off my Hauntelligencia when we meet on Friday.

Again, this is my first attempt at a layout, so feedback is appreciated. Thoughts/questions?

TC

Comment

Here's take two on a layout, this time trying to incorporate the central corridor and reversing the direction, going clockwise through the haunt. I was able to add two more rooms, but I don't think I'm crazy about the space usage. I'm definitely going to have to work on it more.

hauntmap2.jpg

Some new additions.

Blue area - display window. I want to use it some way without giving away scares. in the previous layout, I thought about using it to highlight the "Chicken Exit". Now I might just use it to build anticipation.
      Yellow area - those are my corridors.
      Red area - thought of using a pepper's ghost effect there, possibly with an ape.

This will not be the final layout, obviously, I'm not even sure how close it will be to this. Just playing with space at this point.

TC

Comment

If this is a Ballad, no one has mentioned which song we are supposed to be humming as the narrator reads the posts.
        sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Oh, and watch writing that word Pee to the Eye to the Cee to the Kay to the EEE to the Ell over and over or he will pop up! I hate it when that happens.
          sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Chrise View Post
            If this is a Ballad, no one has mentioned which song we are supposed to be humming as the narrator reads the posts.
            "Karn Evil #9" by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer.

"Come inside, the show's about to start,
            guaranteed to blow your head apart...."

TC

Comment

Originally posted by turkeycreaux View Post
              "come inside, the show's about to start,
              guaranteed to blow your head apart...."
              see the show!!! . . .

Comment

This might give you some ideas. He has a bunch of similar videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EHkh...hannel&list=UL

Comment

GAH! Trying to arrange a time to meet with the Fire Inspector is going to make me go insane(r)!

I've been trying to meet with him for the last two weeks to go look at the space and see what I need to do on my end. He keeps rescheduling the appointments. Then, last Thursday, he tells me that I need to speak with another person. So I call the other person, "Oh, he's off duty for the day." So I call back on Monday, "Oh, he's not scheduled for duty until Wednesday." So I call today, finally speak with him, "Oh, you really want the guy you were first talking with, he won't be in til Friday." I could have spoken with him YESTERDAY, had I known. But no, I have to wait til Friday now, the one day I'll be unable to meet with him unless he can meet me after 6:30pm.

On top of that, we're still waiting for the mall owners to give us our contract so I can get keys to the place.

"Let's put a haunted house together, it'll be FUN!" - Famous last words.

TC

Comment

just wait

There is going to be a lot of things that dont go as planed, in my experience... this is only the begining. I hate to say that, but it take patients. Focus on the things you can control, but stay after that FM, you'll get there.
                    Chris Riehl
                    Sales@spookyfinder.com
                    (586)209-6935
                    www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

"Let's put a haunted house together, it'll be FUN!" - Famous last words.
                      Whose famous last words, and is the radio station backing you up, and do they have any clout?

(Also, second floor-plan . . . good use of a Central Corridor, and I like that you have a whole back area, freeing up the front floor space for a proper haunt.)

C.

Comment

Originally posted by BrotherMysterio View Post
                        Whose famous last words, and is the radio station backing you up, and do they have any clout?
                        Oh that was just me venting my spleen. I didn't expect to be hit with that walking into work yesterday morning. I have the full support of the radio station, but I wouldn't want them to try to pull any power plays over something like this. I just got to keep going with my mantra, "All will be well."

(Also, second floor-plan . . . good use of a Central Corridor, and I like that you have a whole back area, freeing up the front floor space for a proper haunt.)

C.
                        Thanks, I just want to make sure I get the most bang for my buck in terms of floor space....

TC

Comment

Originally posted by rfsystems View Post
                          There is going to be a lot of things that dont go as planed, in my experience... this is only the begining. I hate to say that, but it take patients. Focus on the things you can control, but stay after that FM, you'll get there.
                          Thanks. I know it's not going to be a walk on the beach, and most of the blame rests on my own shoulders for not keeping after the sales staff to get this going sooner, I was just really thinking I'd be able to get things going by now....

Oh well, soldiering on!

TC

Comment

Well, it was fun while it lasted....

Well, finally met with the Fire Inspector tonight. Long story short, there's a ton of exposed wiring and outlets above the drop ceiling that needs to be taken care of before I should even consider building there. From what I understand, that sort of thing is usually taken care of by the tenants, at least at this mall, and there's no way my bosses would pay to fix the wiring in a space we'd be giving up in 3 months time (basically fixing it for the next tenant). So it comes down to whether or not the mall will fix it and can get it fixed in the next 2-3 months, or I find a new space in the next week or so.

I guess I start looking ahead to next year.

TC

Comment

That sux TC.

Keep your head up. I had to wait a year... sorta. I know it stinks. But think, it could be a blessing in disguise.

Here's a thought, ask exactly "WHO" can fix the wires? Does it have to be someone they tell you, or can you hire someone yourself to get it done. I mean, if they're just loose wires or wires that need moving, any electrician can usually take care of it properly. Since it's a haunt, I'd ask "What if it's ugly?" Like, well, i'm not an electrician, but I guess I'm just saying, observe all possibilities before you give up. Make sure you can't just hire someone yourself to get rid of the hazard, and who knows, maybe work out a deal with the electrician to advertise his business for a better deal and see if he can wait till season for some of his pay.

I'm very VERY tired, I'm just talking out my wazooo right now, I guess I'm just trying to say, look at everything and keep your head up.

Good luck.

Dewayne

Comment

Originally posted by Frightener View Post
                                Here's a thought, ask exactly "WHO" can fix the wires? Does it have to be someone they tell you, or can you hire someone yourself to get it done. I mean, if they're just loose wires or wires that need moving, any electrician can usually take care of it properly. Since it's a haunt, I'd ask "What if it's ugly?" Like, well, i'm not an electrician, but I guess I'm just saying, observe all possibilities before you give up. Make sure you can't just hire someone yourself to get rid of the hazard, and who knows, maybe work out a deal with the electrician to advertise his business for a better deal and see if he can wait till season for some of his pay.
                                If I was an electrician, I would gladly spend an afternoon tidying up some wires in exchange for lots of free advertising spots. Just sayin'.

Well, finally met with the Fire Inspector tonight. Long story short, there's a ton of exposed wiring and outlets above the drop ceiling that needs to be taken care of before I should even consider building there. From what I understand, that sort of thing is usually taken care of by the tenants, at least at this mall, and there's no way my bosses would pay to fix the wiring in a space we'd be giving up in 3 months time (basically fixing it for the next tenant). So it comes down to whether or not the mall will fix it and can get it fixed in the next 2-3 months, or I find a new space in the next week or so.
                                Not surprising if it turns out that the FM is a haunt virgin. He doesn't want to get dinged for anything on his watch that he doesn't quite understand. That tends to make things difficult when he has to explain to his higher-ups why the whole affair went to hell in a hand-basket on his watch, and he doesn't have any solid, reasonable answers. Pickle is going thru a similar thing.

I guess I start looking ahead to next year.
                                Honestly, that may not be a bad idea. If you were just idly considering this haunt as just a fun thing and thought about throwing it together at the last minute, I wouldn't comment on it one way or the other. But you and your team are serious about doing this, and I know you'd seriously invest time and energy making it happen for next year, and doing it right.

Besides, you guys could find another location, only to have the same thing happen. And if you spend the next two months with these same kinds of shenanigans, with no haunt or promotion to show for it, then your higher-ups will start to question the soundness of this idea, and more particularly, your thinking.

Right now, you haven't spent any significant money on this, you've handled yourself with great aplomb and diplomacy, and shown you can be a real leader. I'm sure your bosses are liking that. They would probably like it even more if you came up with a solution that still makes a promotion happen and side steps all of this pointless and expensive silliness, and here is such a solution.

In a word: do a Halloween Masquerade Ball. Have a simple walk-thru (your haunt in it's infancy) as an adjunct to the ball, off in a corner of the venue, so you get to test design ideas and whatnot in a rather forgiving environment (tipsy socialites tend to have fun anywhere doing anything), but at the same time you are making use of the opportunity, and testing the soundless of your promotional idea. A pro-haunter I know used to do stuff like this all the time at Country Clubs and whatnot, and believe me, you save yourself a lot of hassle that way.

Just something to think about for this year, and it sets you up beautifully for next year.

C.

Comment

Working...
                                X