Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention all Claustrophobia Owners!

Air Movers Recalled by EDIC Due to Fire Hazard

I just noticed our air movers to our Claustrophobia are part of a recall that was just announced June 19th 2012. Do yourself a favor and check the part numbers on your air movers before you use them again this season! You just might save your haunt from a true nightmare. I contacted Scare Products to notify Frank of this recall, please share this with anyone that you know that has these type air bags.

Remedy: Users should immediately stop using the recalled air movers/blowers and contact EDIC for a free repair kit to be installed by users.
    Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact the firm toll-free at (888 289-8720 between 8:30 a.m. through 4 p.m. PT Monday through Friday, by fax at (323) 667-0144, by email at recall@edic-usa.com or visit the firm's website at www.EDIC-USA.com

http://edic-carpetcleaningmachines.com/recall/

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml12/12199.html
    Last edited by twohlgemuth; 07-23-2012, 08:34 PM.
    Tony Wohlgemuth,
    Comes up with the fun stuff!
    Kersey Valley, Inc.
    www.KerseyValley.com

Thanks! Great Big Ol' heads up.

I don't use one but thank you much for sharing. It's all about safety, for all of us.

Dewayne

Comment

Thanks.. I have a bunch!

Comment

I'm just going to be honest here... I've said this before but this is the dumbest idea I've ever seen for a haunted house. Its PURE STUPID and I think anyone who puts them in their haunts are not thinking straight. A haunted house has NOTHING to do with an air bag that squeezes you... its more like a funhouse kind of thing not something that should be in a haunted house. Its just stupid!

Furthermore I think its unsafe forget about the blower that catches fire... there just seems like so many things that can go wrong here from causing a panic attach from those who have problems with those feelings, to breathing issues, to simply put people can spit on them, barf on them, who knows what are on their bodies, cloths or anything. Someone could fall down in them and being walked on whatever.

DUMB DUMB DUMB... they barely would belong in a funhouse much less a haunted house.

If you ever see one of these in one of my haunts someone please shoot me because it will mean I've lost all sense of reality and could jump off a cliff at any moment... LOL

Larry
        Larry Kirchner
        President
        www.HalloweenProductions.com
        www.BlacklightAttractions.com
        www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
        www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

BTW... Tony thanks for the heads up the last thing the haunt industry needs is one of these burning down someones haunt. Again thanks for the heads up!

Larry
          Larry Kirchner
          President

Comment

Most of my patrons are terrified to go though it...so not sure what you mean by fun house.

Darksidestew

Comment

Your very wrong about this

Larry,
              These bags are probrobly the most popular thing I've seen in years. I've had grown men scared to go through them just because of the shear sense of being trapped. A few years back Robert Englund and his wife hated those things (in a good way).. Thats when we knew we have stubbled on to something. We only have a couple, but when they are put in the right places the effect is over the top..It is also a good effect to seperate scenes from one to the next if you use them properly..
              Tony thanks for the heads up on the blowers..

Comment

I don't like them in haunts either but not because I think they are stupid or scary. I call them the Ringworm Special.
                Jared Layman

Comment

Disagree

I would have to disagree on what Larry said - Are they scary and a great item for most of the people...YES! We had one and everyone loved it and talked about it and we would actually have people ask us if we were going to have it again because they wanted to bring their friends to go through it - is it dangerous? Could be...but then again so is a vortex tunnel - I have seen more people fall, shove, tumble, etc. in these than I have in a claustrophobia set up.

Onto the gross factor - Yes we have no clue what is on people's bodies that are rubbing up against the walls of these, but the truth of the matter is that there are probably just as many nasty germs on your cellphone, any door knob or handle that gets used by the public - Do you use a sponge or dish cloth for washing dishes? Just letting it set for a few hours after washing will build up tons of nasty bacteria and germs - The point is yes the fabric is going to get germs on it....but so is everything else. Do you know how many people I watched at Larry's haunt running their hands over the foam skulls and walls in the waiting area - and more than once I saw people cough and then run their hands over the walls to feel the texture.....It's something that we can not avoid but the chances of anyone getting sick from it is about the same chances they have of eating at a restaurant, putting their hands on a steering wheel, holding the rails in a vortex tunnel, etc.

You can help by washing everything and spraying a disinfectant on the walls after each nights use....but the germs will still be there....they are everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Evernight View Post
                    I would have to disagree on what Larry said - Are they scary and a great item for most of the people...YES! We had one and everyone loved it and talked about it and we would actually have people ask us if we were going to have it again because they wanted to bring their friends to go through it - is it dangerous? Could be...but then again so is a vortex tunnel - I have seen more people fall, shove, tumble, etc. in these than I have in a claustrophobia set up.

Onto the gross factor - Yes we have no clue what is on people's bodies that are rubbing up against the walls of these, but the truth of the matter is that there are probably just as many nasty germs on your cellphone, any door knob or handle that gets used by the public - Do you use a sponge or dish cloth for washing dishes? Just letting it set for a few hours after washing will build up tons of nasty bacteria and germs - The point is yes the fabric is going to get germs on it....but so is everything else. Do you know how many people I watched at Larry's haunt running their hands over the foam skulls and walls in the waiting area - and more than once I saw people cough and then run their hands over the walls to feel the texture.....It's something that we can not avoid but the chances of anyone getting sick from it is about the same chances they have of eating at a restaurant, putting their hands on a steering wheel, holding the rails in a vortex tunnel, etc.

You can help by washing everything and spraying a disinfectant on the walls after each nights use....but the germs will still be there....they are everywhere.
                    THANK YOU! Our actor coordinator HATES them...she's a germaphobe, but nonetheless...

My opinion on the matter...yes, they have a gross out factor (IF YOU SIT THERE AND ANALYZE) to them but they're a great effect. I personally use my hands to separate them anyway...it's not like a I just walk straight through cause yes, that IS nasty...and I don't think they were necessarily designed to be simply walked through without separating them. That being said, I've effectively reduced my germ exposure to the same amount I encounter in the real world everyday. Handling money, grabbing door handles, tounching merchandise in stores, the list goes on!! In terms of danger, most haunts have a bypass (or should) because you run into customers who a) refuse to go through them PERIOD and impede flow and b) customers with physical limitations.

By far one of the best products I've seen. Innovation at it's best!! At my first Transworld three years ago I was terrified to walk through them! And to remedy the full body experience there IS the waist high version...way less germy...compare it to sitting in a movie theater seat at worst (which I personally CAN NOT STAND)...

To all the germaphobes...LYSOL!!
                    O'Shawn McClendon
                    Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

Comment

Another great point!

The bypass is a great idea for this - We provided a bypass because we knew some would be just to scared to go through and we are glad we did...we had a few people that attempted it but just could not get more than a foot in before freaking out. I'm sure people with germ issues could use the bypass as well

Comment

Germs are just part of it. I am more concerned about the skin fungus and just the fact someone else's fresh sweat is now on me. And yeah a door handle is germy but its still not as bad as having your face sandwiched between two inflated sweat soaked, germ filled, smelly, pestilance spreading pieces of canvas, lol. And maybe you clean your claustrophobia tunnel, but it don't mean every haunt cleans their's.
                        Last edited by mindtumor; 07-24-2012, 01:15 PM. Reason: spelling
                        Jared Layman

Comment

One guy likes alien themes, one guy likes a mansion, the next a dungeon, one guy likes these things the next guy doesn't. We'll never agree on this because I think its a the dumbest thing I've ever seen in a haunt. In my mind its just that a gag, and in a haunt I think you should try to be more realistic than that. Again just a difference of opinion.

As for the safety concerns yeah I have a bunch of them with this thing... so that goes into my opinion as well.

Larry
                          Larry Kirchner
                          President

Comment

I really have to agree with Larry on this one. They just aren't a realistic or scary effect, HOWEVER, I would use the waist high ones in a heartbeat, or, if a company made a see-through one that could have a scene going on behind it, it would make a really neat gas chamber or biohazard scene, but just the plain black is dumb and unsanitary. Maybe it'd be easier to keep clean if it was see-through too cause you'd be able to see the gross stuff easier and cleaning it at the end of each night would really do well. That and if it was see through people would be less likely to rub their gross all over it and would be more conscientious of their ick and others ick....maybe. lol

Comment

LOL, you probably wouldn't have people going through it if they could see the human grease smears on it before they went through. I got sick just from thinking about that, lol. However, I do agree you could probably actually make something scary if it were clear..
                              Jared Layman

Comment

Working...
                              X