Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOUBLE Drop Window?

Has anyone tried something like this?

I had a thought of setting a group up for a scare, building anticipation, lead them to a drop window, and BAM, window drops to reveal a not so scary scare. Maybe a picture of the thing they were dreading. They laugh, thinking that was it, what a lame scare, when WHAMMO, the 2nd panel in the same place drops with the real scare.

The TL;DR version: two panels in a drop window, dropping one at a time. Feasible? Pointless?

TC

Double?

I think it would slow down your haunt a lot and then people would look away after the crappy scare. Just my opinion. Have to hit them the first time.
    Sean Hughes - National Sales Manager
    sean@pixelpushersinc.com
    312.613.7326 Mobile
    847.550.6560 X 102 Office
    844.44.PIXEL X 102 Toll Free

www.pixelpushersinc.com - The nations leading printing and design company for the haunted industry.

Comment

I use a piece of 3/4" plywood for my drop panel. When it hits bottom it is like a gun going off. No picture or additional scares necessary.

Comment

Wood

I recommend the 3/4 Plywood. We added a L Channel to the bottom of ours to avoid replacing the wood so often. Splintering can be dangerous for the actors too. Pieces will go where they want, including eyes.
        Sean Hughes - National Sales Manager
        sean@pixelpushersinc.com
        312.613.7326 Mobile
        847.550.6560 X 102 Office
        844.44.PIXEL X 102 Toll Free

www.pixelpushersinc.com - The nations leading printing and design company for the haunted industry.

Comment

I dig the idea...I might wanna make the second drop the whole friggin wall though
          Like a midget at a urinal, you gotta be on your toes

http://www.wellstownshiphauntedhouse.com

Comment

Bam Bam

We did the 3/4" as well, with the L at the bottom for added effect. I also added an electronic popper at the bottom so they get hit by loud noises everywhere. And its pitch black to boot!!
            Travis "Big T" Russell
            President
            Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

Yeah, unless I'm not completely getting it, I'd assume the double thing would be pointless. I'd assume if it were a large enough group then the first few people might get shocked by the noise and the second half or so would get the regular effect, so if that's what you're going for then sure? Let us know if you go through with this!
              O'Shawn McClendon
              Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

Comment

Or......you make two drop panels.

Put them at a corner, so there's one to their left or right and one in front of them.

Do the lame drop to their left or right, then hit them with the scary drop in front

Comment

Originally posted by freak 'n' stein View Post
                  Yeah, unless I'm not completely getting it, I'd assume the double thing would be pointless. I'd assume if it were a large enough group then the first few people might get shocked by the noise and the second half or so would get the regular effect, so if that's what you're going for then sure? Let us know if you go through with this!
                  Yeah, I'm just playing with ideas on building anticipation and turning the guests expectations on their ear. Get them to expect something scary, hit them with something humorous and immediately follow up with the scare (another example I'm toying with, guest opens a door that says "Do Not Open", they see a clown on a toilet, "Hey! Occupied!", they close the door only to find another clown standing right there, "CAN'T YOU READ THE SIGN?!?"). Screamforadream's idea for two separate drop panels would probably be more feasible/versatile....

TC

Comment

Originally posted by turkeycreaux View Post
                    Yeah, I'm just playing with ideas on building anticipation and turning the guests expectations on their ear. Get them to expect something scary, hit them with something humorous and immediately follow up with the scare (another example I'm toying with, guest opens a door that says "Do Not Open", they see a clown on a toilet, "Hey! Occupied!", they close the door only to find another clown standing right there, "CAN'T YOU READ THE SIGN?!?"). Screamforadream's idea for two separate drop panels would probably be more feasible/versatile....

TC
                    Make a list of all the kinds of rooms you'd expect to see in a circus haunt, and start from there. There will be enough time to get cute and clever later, after you're solid on everything else.

Doing joke rooms are like doing jokes. When a stand-up writes it, he then goes and tests it. If it flies, it does in his act. If not, it's dropped on the spot. Kinda hard to drop a joke room mid-season after you've gone thru the time, effort, and expense to build it.

C.

Comment

Do it! I think it will work great, I think it needs to be at the end of a long hall in order to be effective, at a point where folks slow down to let their friends catch up. I think it will get a good scare.
                      www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                      http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Tweek this a bit...

I'm just going to throw my two cents in but please don't think I am thinking it is a bad idea because I don't. My only concern for you is that traditionaly a drop panel is heavy enough to have some weight to it which results in a loud bang or thud. That noise is the initial scare and an actor is an added bonus effect; put the two of them together and you have a great scare.

The only down side that I see is that one panel drops and your initial scare may send some running and your real scare hasn't even gone off yet. One way to help your idea is to not weight the first panel down and to cushion the drop with something thus allowing the second drop panel to be the effective one.

My vision is that you have this scare down a hallway (as previously mentioned by another) dropping the first panel while the "target" is still a little away and approaching it. When they come closer than drop the second panel (heavily weighted in my opinion for a better scare).

Just my thoughts.... but please let me know how it works either way you do it. I'm anxious to hear.

Ryan

Comment

Drop Panel Design

Using a standard 4x8 sheet of plywood 1/2" Thick Frame the outter edge with 2x4.

Then going in 1 foot from either side down the length install a second set of 2x4's (making a track for the panel to slide in)

Cut a 2'x2' hole then on a new peice of plywood cut a panel larger than the hole.

Screw two 2x4 's along the edge to guide the panel to the floor (On the inside of the track)

I also screwed one 2x4 to the bottom to take hitting the floor as to not chip up the plywood.
                          Michael Chilson
                          Brookdale Campground Haunted Halls
                          Kozy Rest Campground Haunted Hay Ride
                          ScareHouse Pittsburgh, Pa (Actor)
                          Designer & Technical Director

Comment

Working...
                          X