No announcement yet.

mold release....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It may seem quick and cheap to add a release agent but you really added untold labor in cleaning molds and preparing surfaces.

If you are not allowing the latex moisture cure to be drawn into the plaster mold, you are having to depend on humidity and forced drying with air and possibly thinner and several coats rather than one time with a dwell time being observed and you get a product out that is predictable in durometer and thickness.
    sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

I'm sorry we did get off on the wrong foot.

The main question was about release agents to use or not. The down-n-cheap way is to not to use them. Of course it will work, just the life of the mold is decreased greatly. I think it is worth 1 dollar per mask. There is a recipe to make your own release agent for even a cheaper price. The word acid is used because of it PH balance. The main ingredient is animal fat, also used to make soap and candles.

A real down and dirty way would to just spray latex over the sculpture. Skip the mold. Alcones latex can be sprayed right out of the bottle. Here is the airbrush.
      http://www.paascheairbrush.com/Catal...&ObjectType=27

I'll take your word on "dwell Time" the best meaning I found was " time delay during which an indenter is held against a material under load". I guess we can count atmospheric. Mainly used in the thermoplastics industry. When I get back to work I will have to ask to engineers this question. I also can also be wrong but also still love to learn. And I can also be a dick. Sorry to all offended.

p.s. Allen you got me in the plaster quote, touché

D
      Last edited by DarkShado; 08-16-2012, 04:41 AM. Reason: to give props to allen h

Comment

Even animal fats with citric acid, ph balanced with sodium citrate compounds for even dispersal, is their task. That being said, you are into modified compounds as well to clean things. Then it gets weird and you are having to condition things with Naptha solvents, wax and grease remover thinners and exposing yourself to unhealthy smells regularly. Things that remove even soap scum are phosphates. In the modern world these things are used every day and no one questions them.

Dwell time refers to a substrate requiring time to absorb to it's utmost capacity. It takes time to observe that effect has occured and curing has begun. The curing with out moisture and how it has been accomplished lines up ions and molecule binders to some degree of efficiency. In Latex this translates to how much elasticity it will have and how many cycles it can be stretched before it becomes brittle. There is also a time clock where over years the molecular structure is continuing to modify, to continue to cure and binder parts and number of molecules becomes larger clumps until it is no longer just a grain and the chunky mass will crack when bent.

I have talked to engineers, they call me.
        sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

I think the longer Darkshadow follows the forums, He will figure out that Allen is a haunt genius.

Comment

I know Allen knows his stuff. Does he know it all, no, but pretty damn close. I still feel I know more in mold making, so what......Not a bad thing.....

Dwell time refers to a substrate requiring time to absorb to it's utmost capacity. - Saturation time.

The curing with out moisture and how it has been accomplished lines up ions and molecule binders to some degree of efficiency. - called curing time

In Latex this translates to how much elasticity it will have and how many cycles it can be stretched before it becomes brittle. - called a fatigue cycle

I have yet to find any of these words used in conjunction or as a synonym with the word dwelling. Just having a hard time believing this one.

Side note:
            Molecules mate by charge, not binders. = That is compounds.
            In the curing of latex it is the PH that contributes to the curing not the charges of molecules (ions). Hint Ammonia base.
            Why are we looking at latex at a molecular level. In the mold....dehydration synthesis is the process of curing in latex. Loss of water which is being absorbed by the mold.

This is now officially off topic. Done with this thread.

DK
            Last edited by DarkShado; 08-17-2012, 04:04 AM.

Comment

I have been making molds for 30 years. when it comes to a ultra cal mold or plaster mold "ZERO" release agent is needed. Infact....if you use mold release with latex and ultra cal, the mask will take longer to dry and will not be as thick as it should be. As far as higher quality with a realease ....false....

Heres a good one- I use release on my latex mold that makes latex masks....
              Did I just say that? Thats right...do it all the time...

darksidestew

Comment

Also Cliff, the earlier you pull a latex piece from the mold after it has been cured, the easier it is to pull.

Comment

I was really hoping I could get a circle of 20 cats to focus on the ions of a mold and levitate the mask in the air with no release agent, just with mind control. Dissapointment.
                  sigpic

Comment

"Heres a good one- I use release on my latex mold that makes latex masks....
                    Did I just say that? Thats right...do it all the time..."
                    What? you must elaborate if you are going to break the laws of mask making psychics. Even a pic of a finished mask using this method?
                    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Latex mold makes a latex mask

Here is a photo of a plaster bust of the hunchback .

P1010011 (1).JPGP1010012 (1).JPGP1010011 (1).JPGP1010012 (1).JPG

Comment

5 or 6 coats of latex was applied to the plaster bust .

When the latex dried, polyfoam was poured over entire bust.

Now you have a nice durable flexible mold.

P1010014 (1).JPGP1010013 (1).JPG

Comment

I first sprayed the latex mold with flat clear, then a light ccoat of vaseline. It takes 3 to 4 days for latex to dry - be patient .
                          Unpainted Peg Leg Pyrat on the left, finished product on the right.

P1010010.JPG418151_2781068640735_1227771524_n.jpg

thanks
                          Darksidestew

Comment

Okay, so a 3-4 day dry time. And it does not have super deep areas (long nose etc.) How thick are you going with the latex pull?
                            www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Its as thick as a high quality mask. I do have others Ive done with alot of detail. Did this because its all I had on hand at the time.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X