Mask making question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mask making question...

In Allen's latest dvd, Dynamic Haunted Attraction Design (Im 54 min in, AWESOME so far, review forthcoming ) there are some burlap masks resembling the old slipknot masks, or even a more intense version of the guy from strangers.

Im super impressed by those, and am wondering how he achieved such detail, especially the darkness and apparent dinginess of the material. Is there a tutorial of those, or similar masks out there?

Im assuming you get a burlap sack, hack away at it, string it up with a leather shoelace in the back, darken parts of it with spray paint... but am I missing anything, like lining for comfort? Or something to harden it and help keep its shape? Maybe some grease?

I made a strangers mask for halloween, and it kept my nose compressed down the whole night. How does one avoid that?

Dumb move I forgot to check if Allen makes a mask dvd. I'll do that now...

Thanks

I have a mask from Allen very similar to that and he has latex on the inside of it not sure what else he does with it but comfortable with the latex and don't just have burlap rubbing against your face.

Kyle Guillette
    Kyle Guillette
    Dysfunctional Concepts-Haunted Alaskan Motel

Comment

Scotty,
      I can save you the time and trouble of replicating my work by simply selling you a mask. They are $100 each and very soon I am listing about 20 for sale (Late august). I give tips on almost everything but the Deranged masks are one of my main income streams and I am already seeing them replicated for sale by other vendors. I have not and most likely will not do a full tutorial on Deranged masks until I have moved on from that stream.
      I do show the same courtesy by not doing tutorials replicating specific vendors products....unless they are flat out raping people. I will tell you that every technique and material I use to make them are shown on my youtube channel tutorials. As well as basic mask making skills.

"Im assuming you get a burlap sack, hack away at it, string it up with a leather shoelace in the back, darken parts of it with spray paint... but am I missing anything, like lining for comfort? Or something to harden it and help keep its shape? Maybe some grease?"

You can start with a burlap bag, just make sure it is not reinforced or was used to carry insulation ever. Laces will pull through burlap (it has a loose weave) unless you reinforce the hole. I use grommets and a grommet press. Keep vision, hearing, ventilation, and breathing in mind when making masks (that is where most mask companies fail). Spray paint actually off gasses for a long time and it may bother some actors skin so I would avoid it. Please dont use grease or any other industrial compounds to stain masks, make sure they are safe to use for the make up or garment industry as skin contact is a great way to absorb poisons and irritants. Who knows what is in some of those. Be safe.
      Allen H
      here is alink to my youtube channel which has a multitude of appropriate tutorials.
      http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee
      www.Stiltbeaststudios.com

Comment

Allen, thanks for the knowledge as usual. Those masks are awesome! They aren't in line with my infected zombie theme tho so im more interested for personal use. I think they'd be absolutely wicked with contact lenses!

Comment

I'm trying to figure out what personal use is? Family portraits, avoiding exposure to the sun, recreational head warming?
          sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Actually, I'm considering robbing a bank in case I decide to start an INDOOR haunt!

Seriously though my son is 8 and he still likes it when I dress up for halloween. Plus occasionally I like to scare my friends and family, mainly my fiancé

Searching google images, I found almost exactly what I had pictured I wanted after seeing Allen's work! I wasn't trying to rip you off Allen, I was just inquiring about the basic how to.

Scarecrow-Halloween-Mask.jpg

Its crazy he even has the lenses. Pretty cool.

Comment

The only thing I can say, I think without infringing on anything, is the #1 thing....

DON'T SKIMP on the burlap! You MUST get a good burlap material, not the haggly bags from feed etc.

A friend of mine had made some a loooong time ago, maybe perhaps back when Allen was starting his masks. Anywho, he tried a few times. Then finally got one mask done nicely.

This came from a darned argument. We were arguing, what "MASK" Mr. Voorhees was using in Friday 13th part 2. I told him it was NOT burlap! However, back then, the World Wide Web wasn't too big and so we went to rent a video. Wellll, also back then, unfortunately VHS was mainstream. In case you hadn't noticed, VHS SUUUUUUUKS! But anywho, the stupid vcr ATE THE TAPE before the scene.

He made the mask anyways and went as Jason from F13th prt 2. 10 years later I won the bet but he was overseas and I have yet to see my check from New Zealand.

lol. I thought about making masks in this similar fashion. However, as the subject was stated here, I wouldn't DARE to try and do it because of respect for Allen. 'Sides, he'd whoop me arse and he does a better job at masks

Dewayne

Comment

LOL, anyone can make anything...but I dont have to help them
                www.Stiltbeaststudios.com

Comment

Originally posted by Allen H View Post
                  LOL, anyone can make anything...but I dont have to help them
                  HAHAHA! ... this is true

... hmmm. I mean to say something to you earlier Allen... what was i.. OHH GET ANOTHER VIDEO UP DANGIT!! haha

Comment

Allens masks are something well thought out and since it is a latex base then a mask layer design with various added creative items it is kind of a mask on a mask on a mask and well worth $100. You can blow that much just coming up with the sub structure he has. Without the mask being lined you are probably headed for something akin to road rash.

I haven't inspected one close enough to know but the inside is maybe a life cast of the creator? You could buy one and cast that, then have your own Allen Hopps! Make the mouth move with a sound sensitive solenoid and have it's mouth move to Allens tutorials on Utoob Wednesday! Total entertainment for $100. Nothing said here should be considered accurate.
                    sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

I can save you the time and trouble of replicating my work by simply selling you a mask. They are $100 each and very soon I am listing about 20 for sale (Late august).
                      I've seen them up close. Trust me, they're worth it! If I ever do a character that looks remotely like one of his masks, I'm going straight to him.

Originally posted by Greg Chrise View Post
                      You could buy one and cast that, then have your own Allen Hopps! Make the mouth move with a sound sensitive solenoid and have it's mouth move to Allens tutorials on Utoob Wednesday! Total entertainment for $100.
                      . . . makes you wonder how Greg spends his weekends . . . or what he keeps in his basement . . .

"Hey, 3-day weekend coming up! I get to wear my 'Allen suit'!"

"'It' will put the lotion in the basket!"

Originally posted by scottylmt View Post
                      Actually, I'm considering robbing a bank in case I decide to start an INDOOR haunt!
                      Well, that is one of the more innovative approaches to haunt financing that I've recently heard.

Originally posted by scottylmt View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]13467[/ATTACH]

Its crazy he even has the lenses. Pretty cool.
                      Allen could probably do something like that for you custom. I'm almost wondering if that's one of his.

Originally posted by Greg Chrise View Post
                      I'm trying to figure out what personal use is? Family portraits, avoiding exposure to the sun, recreational head warming?
                      Well, considering this recent post . . .

LOL, anyone can make anything...but I don't have to help them
                      Why does that line sound so familiar?

C.

Comment

LMAO its great to see you back Brother! Ive been missing your posts.

Comment

This may help

Not sure if this is very helpful, but I have always wanted to try to make one these, but I don't have a form...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqFwzUY2OXc
                          ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
                          ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
                          www.facebook.com/DementiaHauntedHouse

Comment

Thanks for the link pennywise. I like the finished look of that mask! A liner would definitely be a good addition tho lol.

Comment

Watching that video, you could layer a few coats of latex first and then do the burlap and then you have a liner. Or simply go over top of another mask. I saw one that went over what appears to be an exagerated clown mask with burlap and it looks pretty cool. Or pick something with ears or other features added like punk hair and jewelry?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X