No announcement yet.

Mask making question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's definitely an idea. Im assuming you would layer the inside of the burlap by turning it inside out once you're finished? Or could you just hot glue felt or some other soft fabric on key areas?

Comment

It depends on what you are building it on. If you are building on a head form like the video, you just layer a few coats of latex and then build the burlap. Or you take a head form and put a mask over it or a sock mask and go over that with the burlap and latex. You can line it with felt or any material and hot glue but I get concerned with it getting to small with out the lining being actually built first.

So this is where buying one from someone that is making it over a proper bust or life cast is why it is worth spending money. If you already have a life cast you can lay out what the interior cloth is going to be and layer ontop of that. All of this also changes complexity depending on whether it is a half mask or full head mask. Allens masks are full heads.

Trying to use a wig head or something not exactly sized right ends up yeilding something that can easily be a prop head but something being worn should be done on a professional bust or a life cast of yourself to fit right.

There are crazy ways to layer yourself with packaging tape of duct tape. Most of these techinques adding layers really reguires a few hours between steps to come out right. Not something your would want to sit around wearing while it cures, breathing things. So there again you are into buying or making your own full head bust to make something. What ever weird figure this guy used in the video to make this mask may have worked but probably ended in a poor fit.
      Last edited by Greg Chrise; 08-14-2012, 05:42 PM.
      sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Having some kind of shape that properly matches your eye line is what makes it cool. Then enough room to breath and the nose area shape being well thought out. Other wise you are making a paper shopping bag with eye holes. Without a bust or proper head form, you could take a cheaper mask and add to it and then the mask is the latex liner, provides some kind of shape to work from.

As far as pricing is concerned, I have done some paint jobs for masks and been in a lot of studios figuring out air brushing problems people were having. So over the last year I have been looking at a lot of themes and details other people are doing. I'm finding everyone is trading even layered latex made things for $200 to $600 as one of a kind deals. Allens $100 products are going like hot cakes because of so much being offered such as being lined, properly proportioned and layered creepy with experience already at a very reasonable price. Allen and his crew are putting in quite the hours into these and the prep work is sort of overlooked when looking at a product in just pictures.
        sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Burlap in layers would be near impossible to turn inside out and keep the proper shape.
          sigpic

Comment

Ok that makes perfect sense Greg thanks. Actually I had the same thought about the mask in the video... it even LOOKS like a funky shape lol. Thanks for the detailed explanation I completely understand now. I imagine the kid in the picture I found used just burlap and stitching, and that would seriously be uncomfortable.

When we made my strangers mask, we used cotton. My friend used my head as the stitching cast, and let me tell you it was a bitch lol.

Comment

Working...
            X