Zoning question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zoning question..

If a 6+ acre property is type:residential, does that eliminate it from our uses in the haunt industry?

I found an awesome plot of land with a desperate seller, who im thinking of proposing a profit sharing first year with potential buying if it goes well.

The land is totally treed and would be great for a haunted trail. But im wondering since its residential if that automatically negates the idea?

And here is the link to it in case you want to take a look.

Just off an interstate highway, and there's an electrical station just next door which is on the left on the map pic. Pretty awesome for a haunt but I wouldn't want it for a home lol.

Comment

You will have to talk to the city about the possibility of rezoning the lot. If it's a rural location I'd think you'd have a better chance than say if it were in the middle of a neighborhood.

In most, if not all, cases being on a residential lot prevents you from operating any form of business on your land... Which obviously makes running a haunt a bit hard.
      Zach Wiechmann
      www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

That's not great news

Thanks for the reply anyway tho.

Comment

Well don't get disgruntled yet... Talk to the city and see what they say. It's not unheard of to get property rezoned!
          Zach Wiechmann
          www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

zoning...

Yeah try talking to the city first....sometimes when a single family home on a spot lot (not in a neighborhood) isn't run down or not bringing in the tax revenue it should they can be talked into changing it to a new zone that will. Property here has done just that & now the properties are selling for 5 times what they were! So negotiate your deal prior to getting zoning changed. Worth a shot! Just my two cents. Good luck.

P.
            Jim Pashley
            The FEAR FACTORY
            www.thefearfactorynj.com
            855-NJ HAUNT
            sigpic
            "WE MANUFACTURE NIGHTMARES"

Comment

How would I get that question answered, seeing as im not the owner of the property?

Also, is there some type of TEMPORARY exemption anybody has heard of that I can discuss, so we could do one event?

Thanks guys

Comment

temporary....

Hey Scotty,
                Here in NJ we do have what they call a "temporary event" that is approved for "X" amount of days & is voted on by city committee. You can look into that, as far as trying to change zoning...you usually can apply on behalf of the owner with owners consent to the zoning board. It would be good for the owner to actually attend the mtg. & speak to them showing his support &/or reasons for the change (ie: increased tax revenue/rateable, turning the area into a positive viable commercial establishment vs. existing, etc.) Good luck.

P.
                Jim Pashley
                The FEAR FACTORY
                www.thefearfactorynj.com
                855-NJ HAUNT
                sigpic

Comment

You or the owner should be able to get answers if you explain what you're wanting to do... Just talk to the city!

As far as temporary exemption... Just talk to the city!

Noticing a trend yet?

Zach Wiechmann
                  www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

Yes I am definitely noticing a trend!

That's great news about the temp license in nj. Actually inspiring news all around.

Ok one major question... when everybody here says talk to the city, I think my problem is Idk WHO. City planning commission? City council? Also who are these building inspectors I need to ask about codes? (That is prob an unrelated question)

Thanks again for all the ideas guys.

Comment

You would have to talk to your zoning official for the city. However, I would talk to all others mentioned above. Talk to as many people as you get and get as much info as you can. If they themselves can't help, see if they can point you in the right direction. A healthy relationship with your city officials can really pay off in the long run!
                      Zach Wiechmann
                      www.frontyardfright.com

Comment

who to talk to...

Scotty,
                        Talk to the zoning officer first...generally that's the start. If they feel its out of their area than you'll either end up in front of the zoning board or sometimes the planning board. Once you get zoning straightened out (& that does need to happen first or all other points are mute) than you move onto the building dept. I would set up a mtg. with the building official ( he oversees all depts. in bldg.) ask that you have something a little different than the norm & would like to discuss it as a preliminary "sit-down" with the him, the building inspector (sometimes these are one in the same) and the fire Marshall/official. Have as much info as you can at your fingertips at that mtg. and ask the questions you need to know NOW to get a "vibe" on their reactions, answers, ideas & suggestions. Should give you a pretty good indicator all around of what your up against or if they seem to embrace your idea. You can fight them (thats a whole other topic) but try & win them over at the mtg. & things generally will go a whole lot smoother for you once your all on the same page. I have 22 years of dealing with zoning, planning & inspectors, and probably have some of the strictest codes & regs in the country here in NJ. It "ain't" ez here for sure but if it was..."everybody would be doing it...right?" Not sure where your located but I'll do what I can to help you thru the process.

P.
                        Jim Pashley
                        The FEAR FACTORY
                        www.thefearfactorynj.com
                        855-NJ HAUNT
                        sigpic

Comment

Awesome info.

This is really helping me get familiar with the process. To be honest, I have a couple of steps I would need to take first... go see the land first hand, and contact the land owner to see if he is even open for that type of deal. But no matter where I end up, im going to have to follow the steps you've listed, so this thread is a huge help. My current business I used a contractor for the buildout so any red tape HE dealt with.

And pickle, thanks for your offer; I have a feeling im going to need as much advice as I can get.

Comment

no problem...

Scotty,
                            No problem at all...just be patient for my replies...burning the proverbial candle @ both ends trying to pull of a miracle on this end right now! lol But I'll give you what I can to help...these forums have been good to me sooo nice to give back when you can!

P.
                            Jim Pashley
                            The FEAR FACTORY
                            www.thefearfactorynj.com
                            855-NJ HAUNT
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X