Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stretchy Fabric Portraits?

Greetings Haunters:

I am trying to track down the name of that rubbery fabric that you can push against and see the contour of your face and hands. It used to be popular a while back, then I don't see it much anymore. St Transworld I saw it as part of Imaginart's "Terror Vision" TV where a face squeezes out of the viewing screen.

With that in mind, does anyone know if they have made portraits with that material? We have a portrait corridor that we're looking to mix things up in regards to scares. We thought someone pressing behind a picture might look cool.

Anyone have any ideas?
    DARK HOLLOW HAUNTED FOREST
    www.DarkHollowHaunt.com

Lycra is what they make the full body contour suits out of. That might be a start!?

Comment

Most of the time I just use lycra or spandex with latex sprayed on to add to the stiffness. A good airbrush artist could easily paint a portrait for you onto it.
      www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
      http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Ooh - that might work; I've been looking into custom printing on lycra. It can be done, but it has some specifics to consider. I'm going to look into it.

For legal reasons I'll say right now that, if I can indeed create a portrait on spandex, nobody offered any help and it was all my amazing idea so it's now copyrighted by me. If it fails, I'll blame others.

Thanks!
        www.DarkHollowHaunt.com

Comment

If you do get it to work then I will have to say that you didn't build that. Someone else made that happen....

Comment

Hey, if you know who that is, let me know. But I think I figured it out before them because, well, I'm pretty amazing that way. I am Mephisto the Great, after all.
            www.DarkHollowHaunt.com

Comment

Already done

Hate to steal your thunder but there was actually a company at TW that had a painting done on Spandex, that you could stand behind and push out. I was thinking about buying one but then figured I could build one cheaper myself. Might do it next year. I dont remember the name of the company that had the portrait but it wasnt the same booth as the TV set.
              Travis "Big T" Russell
              President
              Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

All kidding aside, if you can find the name of that company, that would be great. My efforts so far have been less than encouraging but, really, I've only called one place so far.
                www.DarkHollowHaunt.com

Comment

I have used this before and had great success with it assuming the actors do things correctly. A nice soft whisper with an gentle push out towards your "victims" is extremely effective. It's more of a creepy scare if you will.

The only problems I have seen with this are people pushing too hard and stretching it out OR worst case is someone intentionally cuts it. (nothing makes me more mad than when someone is a ***hole) It helps to have a stapler on hand to re stretch it if it gets stretched and if some jerk cuts it it is a good idea to have something like a real portrait to place over it for the time being (also use it if you are short on actors).

Ryan

Comment

Here's one I built several years ago for our haunt. This was hanging over a fireplace that was really a door that our patrons walked through to the next scene. It was triggered as they walked through it and was VERY effective.

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...t=325e9f0a.mp4

The biggest problem I came across was the medium used to paint the portrait. Paint and most inks cannot be used because they stiffen the Spandex so it won't conform to the facial shape when pushed, and the cloth loses its memory severely. After trying several different avenues, I ended up using fruit juices, coffee, and teas to get this result. They stain the cloth rather than coat it. I used this method for a number of push out props, but learned over the years that it was best to use a mechanism for them rather than count on an actor to do it.
                    http://www.theironkingdom.com

Comment

Working...
                    X