Night Terrors NEA Build Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Night Terrors NEA Build Progress

I decided after noticing all of the other build progresses were in this section to move (start anew here) my thread.

I'll post some pics up till today's progress. Keep in mind, this is our first year.

Bio: Been haunting parties and yards for many years. I'm 36 now, and since I was a young kid, I had always loved Halloween. Mom and dad always joked how I was the only child who looked forward to Halloween more than Christmas. I quit a few years ago and sold all of the stuff I had made. Stuff I had made looked awesome, I had the time and the money to do great costumes and had sold such as a nice Darth Vader for $800 to a Spawn costume I made that looked VERY good, thanks to a nice latex mask I stole from Trick or Treat for $30! It was listed for $99 at the time and someone had ripped it in the back. I used a hole puncher and made a hole at the end of the tear and it never ripped more. I dodn't know how or why I knew that would work, but some things just came to me.

This year has been rough. We've been struggling since my father in law passed and his place (next door to us) became a halfway house. With a nice looking wife and a newborn baby girl, we no longer felt safe with convicts and sex offenders 65 feet from us. Their numbers were in the 40's when we left. We sold our place, sold our 67 Camaro and took our savings to do this haunt. It has been my dream since I worked at Jonesboro Jaycees where I had helped build panels (too long ago to remember how) and for a short time was Predator, in a very VERY hot suit. I didn't get an award out of it, but people always bragged on how I was the best Predator. I'm a short fella, so I used a few of the crates (very strong ones) to leap from one to another (2 stacked to 1 crate) just in front of the guests.

So here we are. Giving it all we have to make it in one shot.

East 1.JPGEnds 1.JPG100_3400.JPG100_3406.JPG

After the FM told us we'd be fine with our building (he didn't look at it, nor did he read the codes) we signed our lease agreement. $2,000 a month broken up to $1,000 rent, $12,000 at end of year.
    FM came back 2 days later! And told us we couldn't do it in the big blue building. So I moved my old 1,000 sf carports and bought another. He signed off on the house beside the building and told me we'd be good.

100_3403.JPGExterior Wall.JPGInterior Panels.JPGNew Jig.JPGWall 2.JPG

Comment

So we'll have just over 3,000 sf of haunt space to start with. Our place has an apartment inside so basically, all the haunt has to do is pay for rent, and we're golden! Electric bill may be rough, but we can handle it I think.

Progress 1.JPGProgress 2.JPG100_3404.JPG100_3405.JPG

Comment

So we got a hearse bought for a billboard and had it wrapped for about a 1/3 of the cost for sponsorship.

Drivers 1.JPGDrivers 2.JPGDrivers 3.JPGHood.JPG

Comment

I have had a lot of help from this forum to get here. I owe a LOT to fellas like, BrotherMysterio, Allen Hopps and Bobby Arrel to just name a few. I'll have to set back and get everyone included sometime (and double check some name spellings :P )
          Allen's videos from youtube, pshh, I wouldn't have started making my own latex apps and partial masks w/o him. Bobby made my brain cap because I've been trying to save save save and be frugal, as Allen teaches. I got a few of his DVD's btw, they've helped a ton and I'll also be purchasing his Acting DVD's. I've also gotten inspiration from haunts like Shane's Disturbia and Larry's The Darkness! I'm even doing a "Poor Man's" replication of one of his scenes sort of as a tribute.

Hopefully, this thing will take off and I can have more time next year to do much more. I've had speed bump after speed bump, PLUS getting robbed and having to spend a lot of money to get my tools again... It's hard, but... it's my dream and it's now or never! Now, I know my work isn't great, but in time, I hope to produce such a haunt as some of the guys listed above, and others that haven't been mentioned. You guys, being here in this forum, has given a poor man like me a chance to make his dream come true. THIS IS IT! This is all I have left to do. I don't want to go to Alaska, or go deep sea fishing. I've had my 67 Camaro, I've got my Airbrushing Kiosk and done that 'pro', I've got my baby girl, married to a great woman... WTH else do I need? If this makes it, 2012 can wipe us and I'll ONLY regret not having more time with my family. I hope this explains some of us / who I am. Hope you enjoy watching a noob in progress!

This is today's work. We had the lady from Premier magazine, a local publication come out today to take pics for the next issue where we get an article, and hopefully another with the cover in October.

BTW:< I have more detailing such as paint and such on the facade of Bldng 2 and Captain Howdy there (the Monster Mudd guy there) And sorry for the crap pics, my camera is on it's last leg with a rod knocking. My foam work looks much better in person, the paint comes out weird in the pics for some reason.

Bld 2 Door.JPGBld 2 Front.JPGBldng 2 Front 2.JPG
          Last edited by Frightener; 08-10-2012, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Awesome story Dewayne. That place is really starting to look good. I think the foam work is great! Can't wait to see more.

Comment

The facade

I love the look of the facade!! It turned out great from how you were describing it in your other thread. Way to go, keep up the good work!!
              *Sigh*I can't wait til' October

Comment

I am really enjoying this thread! I wish you so much success! The help on this Forum is tremendous and you mentioned my heroes and superstars as well.

Comment

Amazing work! Excellent!

C.

Comment

You're doing great things buddy! Keep it up, can't wait to see more!

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys! It's inspiring, at I tell ya, at this point, I need it! Man if I hear "wall panels" one more time today... lol.

I think it's time to shoot some face on Battlefield 3! I play on PS3 so hit me up a PM if you wanna noob around together.

We got 4 heavy duty wall panels built (thought I had enough for 5) I need 5 per exterior wall that includes a door. We got 10 more standards built as well. Cleaned out building #2, it's almost completed as far as construction goes.

Building 3 will be started in 2 days. After that, it should be all detailing! I'll get more pics up once the fun stuff starts.

Dewayne

Comment

looks good and wish you the best of luck for the years scares. but um got to say you can never have enough wall panels they are a constant and constantly changing at that.lol hope you kill it.
                        The Care Taker
                        John "DarkTombCreations.com"

Comment

Thanks. Yeah we're just trying to build what we need at the moment. If it does enough that we can stay, we plan on doubling the wall panels and all that. We'll probably redo most of the rooms and make them smaller, tighter and can get about 5 more rooms.

I hope we kill it, but tbh, if it pays rent I'll cry happy still :P

Dewayne

Comment

well that is the best attitude to have in my humble opinion. About two years back now i helped someone wtih a business plan for a haunt in Cali and it blew me away how they just argued and did not understand why i ws puting the value on marketing and shwoing no proft for the first two years and little profit the third and fourth year. I believe in be realistic and hey if the numbers show up at the door better then what is common on a new haunt then you did good if not then keep on trucking on like everyone else does and build the business. when i saw the final business proposal they took to a lender they were expecting to pay them selves like half a mil by year 3! seriously not realistic heck there would be haunted houses on every street corner if that where the case.
                            Again best of luck to you.
                            The Care Taker
                            John "DarkTombCreations.com"

Comment

... Well, I don't how to tell you guys this. After all the hardwork, and getting construction 98% done, and building 1 detailed and building 2 almost detailed, getting all of our advertisement paid for, after getting all of our banners and flyers...

we're done. We just got F#%#ed by our own city inspector's office. They're onboard, they like us, they LOVE us and want us here. However, someone choked on the date. Long story short, to get zoned correctly, they told us to have the legal in the paper by Tuesday at the latest. Well, they told us wrong, that's 1 day too late.

We did EVERYTHING everyone told us to do, paid all the fees and got all the permits etc. All that was left was to get the meeting done and over with.

My wife told me that the lady at the office cried all night on her husband's shoulder for us. Everyone in town is upset. She also said that Dennis (inspector) is digging to see if he can help somehow but... show's over.

Sometimes I wonder... just how right people were when they were telling me it's "Best to ask forgiveness than permission" .. but, I wanted to do it RIGHT... and still got screwed.

I haven't drank in 15 years but I think I'm just gonna go get some alcohol, order pizza and get drunk. Maybe call my volunteers that's been busting arse and shoot some face on Battlefield 3.

Good luck to the rest of you guys and thank you so much for helping me get 99% to my dream.

Dewayne

Comment

Working...
                              X