How do you repair old latex props?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you repair old latex props?

I have a couple fo older props that still look great except the latex has thinned and is tearing in a number of places. I hate to get rid of them because I cant find any like them, and they play key roles in my sets. Any ideas on how to repair these things? One of the the arms have all but disappeared, and all the stuffing is now exposed.
    Travis "Big T" Russell
    President
    Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Latex and natural cotton rolls. Saturate the cotton with latex and smooth it out.. then airbrush with acrylic paint... Never gonna look like new but better than throwing away. Depending on what it is, you can "corpse" them to look like dead dried skin like on a mummy or rotted corpse. Im sure there are lots of examples on her how to do it.
    What?? You dropped your cell phone in the Haunted house somewhere and wanted to know if I could go get it for you? Sorry, that's against the rules but I will let you go to the front of the line so you can go try to find it yourself. Just give me a moment to let the monsters know you are coming through again...Alone.

Comment

Ravens moon gave a great answer if you gave us some pics we could be more specific and focused in our help. Im a big fan of cheese cloth and latex as a patch.
      Allen H
      www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
      http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

100% GE Silicone I

My favorite thing to use on old latex props and mask that have reached the point of starting to decay and crumble is "GE Silicone 1" 100% Silicone. The downside to this is that it leaves everything looking slick "Wet Look" but you can knock the wet look down a bit with powder when the silicone is still just a tiny bit tacky. The plus side to this is the silicone lasts MUCH longer than latex.

I have a mask from about 25 years ago that I loved but it was starting to crack and crumble - I coated it with the silicone about 15 years ago and it is still in use today with no further damage

The silicone can also be tinted with a bit of naptha and acrylic paint - or oil paints.

Comment

Great tip everknight!
          www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
          http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Any advice for saving an old latex mask that has stuck to itself in places? It's a mask that has a ton of sentimental value to me.
            Haunt: DARK REALMS

Day job: Game Composer/Sound Designer

My "geek rock" band: Legendary nOObs

Comment

you can't loosen it apart slowly at all??

if it's stuck but the latex is THICK and you are VERY careful, use a razor blade to slice it down the middle. as long as you don't cut through the outside of the mask you should be okay, then if you have a thin spot just flip the mask inside out and patch it up using either allens cheesecloth and latex method or even a layer of latex then toilet paper then latex again. I've used that method on props and it's worked well with me, but if you're going to continue to wear it the cheesecloth is definitely a sturdier option.

Comment

Old props... I use cheese cloth dipped in latex. I have redone giants completely that way. When I get a second I will being redoing completely the worst dino of all time, a rotted out 16 ft Dinosaur, sitting in my warehouse, from the B classic Carnosaur 3. You won't be able to tell at all.

Comment

Cheesey it is!

Awesome guys great input. I have an old devil torso (or half torso) and head and the arms are rotting away. I use it on top of my truss as part of my signage, so no closeup occurs. Cheesecloth and Latex sounds like the plan!
                  Travis "Big T" Russell
                  President
                  Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

Thanks you!
                    Haunt: DARK REALMS

Day job: Game Composer/Sound Designer

My "geek rock" band: Legendary nOObs

Comment

Working...