Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

turning off smoke detectors during performance NFPA???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turning off smoke detectors during performance NFPA???

Ok I want to use fog machines and fog machines will cause smoke detectors to go off...

FM Answer: Then use heat detectors.

Me: Well the building has sprinklers set at 135 degrees... So the sprinkler will go off and signal the fire alarm the same time the heat detector will....Why then do I need to install 50+ heat detectors next to all the sprinkler heads???

FM answer: NFPA states that you have to have an approved smoke detection system.

Me: But the fog machine will set off the smoke detector.

FM Answer: Then use the heat detectors....

Me: But the sprinkler heads already will do that

FM Answer: You must do one or the other.

Me: Did I just walk into a bad Abbot and Costello routine?

FM Answer: If you can find legitimate exception in the NFPA requirements you can do whatever you want...

I then just read on a website for a theatrical effects the following:

Q - My fog effect triggers the fire alarms! Does this mean I can't do fog?
    A - Not necessarily. It's a little-known fact that, according to NFPA regulations, smoke detectors do not have to be turned on during a performance; all that is required is some way of notifying you and the fire department in the event of a fire. While this is almost always the electronic smoke detectors, it could also be a human being. For example, you may be allowed to hire off-duty firemen to act as your "smoke detectors" during the show. Consult with your local fire marshal for more details.

Has anyone else ever heard of this before?? I might actually get them to not require them if its true. Unfortunately the NFPA is really good at copy-writing all the BS we have to follow and I cant find anything on hte internet.

Thanks
    B
    What?? You dropped your cell phone in the Haunted house somewhere and wanted to know if I could go get it for you? Sorry, that's against the rules but I will let you go to the front of the line so you can go try to find it yourself. Just give me a moment to let the monsters know you are coming through again...Alone.

Fire Watch...

I've heard of this before and it may even be mentioned in the Corn books as well.

Check out the following and see if they help:
    http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/pdf/definitions.pdf (PAGE 128 lists “Fire Watch”)
    http://www.sandyspringsga.org/SandyS.../FireWatch.pdf
    Chris Riehl
    Sales@spookyfinder.com
    (586)209-6935
    www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Originally posted by ravensmoon View Post
      Did I just walk into a bad Abbot and Costello routine?
      Most likely.

Originally posted by rfsystems View Post
      I've heard of this before and it may even be mentioned in the Corn books as well.
      Do you have the books, B? I have a link to PDF versions of the two main ones.

C.

Comment

It is true but it is called a firewatch and it is very expensive. in Dallas it is $1200 a night (for one particular event) and the Firemen have to be on duty- off duty does not count as having the Dept. there. As soon as you can get heat detectors, even if you just replace one each season.
        Allen H
        www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

I don't have the books.

I read up on the fire watch thing and it only needs to be someone whose sole purpose is to watch for fires, be able to sound an alarm, and call the fire department. Given that there are actors in every room, it seems strange to me that any one of them would see the place catch on fire and decide to go on break instead of alerting everyone of the issue...
          What?? You dropped your cell phone in the Haunted house somewhere and wanted to know if I could go get it for you? Sorry, that's against the rules but I will let you go to the front of the line so you can go try to find it yourself. Just give me a moment to let the monsters know you are coming through again...Alone.

Comment

I'm going to go out on a limb as guess that arguing with the FM is going to cost you way more than 50 Heat detectors...

Speaking from experience- if your search-fu is mighty you CAN find them pretty damn cheap.
            How can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temple of his gods.

What you put into your mind- you put into your life.

www.zombietoxin.com

Comment

Originally posted by zombietoxin View Post
              I'm going to go out on a limb as guess that arguing with the FM is going to cost you way more than 50 Heat detectors . . .
              In spades.

C.

Comment

Originally posted by zombietoxin View Post
                I'm going to go out on a limb as guess that arguing with the FM is going to cost you way more than 50 Heat detectors...

Speaking from experience- if your search-fu is mighty you CAN find them pretty damn cheap.
                its not the cost of the smoke detectors its the cost to install. they are requiring it be installed by a C-10 licensed fire alarm company

Comment

Working...
                X