Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi everyone! Was wondering if I could get some help

Hey fellow haunters!

I am very new to this forum and I have read some topics that have been on here, but am not sure if this has been talked about before or not. But here we go.

So I have been put in charge of planning, building, and managing an entire large haunt that will be opening in 2014. I have worked in haunted houses since I was little and have worked in the majority of the time in the creative aspect of things. Acting, Costumes, Props, Set Design, etc. So when it comes to the financial side of things I have very little experience. With the business end of things I will be getting assistance but I know budgeting, and management of funds. We have a lot of things falling into place but I need some help from you guys who are in the industry a lot longer than me and have owned your own haunts.

I just have a few questions that would really help me a lot. If you could please answer these questions it would mean the world to me. If you don't want to disclose this right here in a reply, you can message it to me, I can call you on the phone, or you can email it to me. Whatever is most convenient to you. I truly appreciate any help and insight that you can give me. When I was offered this position it was a dream come true, and I am going to do my all to make sure it doesn't fail. This is my passion and I want this haunt to become one of the best around. Thanks everyone, and here are the questions:

1. Name of Haunt and Location

2. Typical cost for gas in a season

3. Cost of Electric

4. How many actors do you have hired for your show?

5. How many sq feet (or acres if outdoor) is your haunt?

6. Typical amount of patrons that come through your doors (or gate, cave, etc) each season

7. Cost of upkeep, and repairs that you will budget each year.

Any other insight or thoughts that you have would be greatly appreciated. I really am excited about this project (hence why im still awake and posting this at 2 in the morning), and can't wait to start touring more haunts and getting to meet all of you at Transworld and other shows. Thanks again!
    Just your friendly neighborhood...........awe hell I can't think of anything witty

Welcome to the HW forum and good luck. It's a wealth of information by those who really know the business.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend Kelly Allen's book. Best $30 you'll ever spend for those interested in doing a haunt.

www.hauntbook.com
    http://www.bigscaryshow.com
    http://www.rabidbadger.org

Comment

I'll second that!
      How can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temple of his gods.

What you put into your mind- you put into your life.

www.zombietoxin.com

Comment

Paging Dr. Hopps . . . Dr. Allen Hopps . . . Paging Dr. Chrise . . . Dr. Greg Chrise . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Badger View Post
          Welcome to the HW forum and good luck. It's a wealth of information by those who really know the business.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend Kelly Allen's book. Best $30 you'll ever spend for those interested in doing a haunt.

www.hauntbook.com
          yup I already have that book and have read it thoroughly. It's a great book and Kelly has an amazing wealth of information! I am just trying to get some info from other haunters about their costs, so we can get an average on what to potentially expect
          Just your friendly neighborhood...........awe hell I can't think of anything witty

Comment

Somewhere there is an article Larry wrote that describes that there are 2500 haunts, 70% of them suck the living soul out of society 20% make a meager gain and 10% kick ass and can afford to spend kazillions in advertising. The survey is nice to know, it only describes that you may or may not be crazy and that there are others like you out there so how wrong is it.

A survey of 2500 different electrical bills from different places in the country isn't going to help your opportunity. Rather for us to help in a positive way, we need to know what part of the country you are setting up in. This way it can better focus people closer to you to actually hand you contacts that are within your region. That might be of better assistance or can actually come lend a hand, let you borrow or trade props and costumes and perhaps entire sections of haunts not being used anymore. Knowing what city and state you are setting up in better identifies for us what you will have for specific expenses.

Example, many years ago a guy told me he was going to have a haunt that was going to need 12,000 SF in a town that the largest buildings are typically 8,000 SF. Or you only need 3 acres to put on a moderate show but all the land is $25,000 an acre and the smallest plot available is 175 acres. You have to dial it in a little. If you have 4.3 million to buy property I will give you my phone number. My point is none of this information is specific to your location.

We can help you. In fact conversation and free on here. Waiting for a book that describes how someone took a former career selling motivational business information and a small hotel business that became a dream haunt business that hopped to 3 different towns and got taken out by a tornado for $30 isn't going to help you either when it comes right down to it.

At this point, first post ever, you could be some kind of spy that wants a survey of all haunt income and expenses across the country. We have discovered here in the haunt underground, experienced haunt guys like to become sock puppets and just see what we will say on here for their own entertainent.

Electric bills can be $35 a month through a co-op using flashlights or $16,000 a month. What are you plugging in? Do you have time to have 16,000 watts of transformers installed or need 4 semi sized power generators moved in by crane or will a few batteries and a shovel get the job done.

1. Are you a spy for some government agency or a sock puppet
            2. do you have any money (if not no problem, I can recommend wether or not to eat what you find in a dumpster)
            3. Where is it you have been given this opportunity
            4. Is it a charity or for profit event
            5. is your event happening this year

Over the next 20 years you can buy every haunt book, every magazine, every video tutorial and still be a failure. We can fill in the blanks and offer suggestions with more information. If you give us something to work with.
            Last edited by Greg Chrise; 08-25-2012, 01:00 PM.
            sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

Hey Greg, yeah that is totally understandable and I can see the that there might be some that are not going to really want to share information if I am just a first time poster and could be seen as someone that really is of no value to you and not going to be able to put any of my insight into things, and be involved in the community. I spoke with Larry last night and he told me that this would probably be the best place to go to get help and learn that kind of information.

Just to give you some more information (which I am happy to share) I am located in Utah. have worked at the Haunted Forest in American Fork, UT for about 5 years. I started there as an actor, worked my way up to a casting director, and this last year was over a bunch of set design projects and we built the entire Texas Chainsaw house with a slide at the end that dropped them to Leatherface with a chainsaw so he could chase them out of the forest. It was a very ambitious project and something that was a lot of work, but also a lot of fun!

I was introduced to a local entrepreneur who has been very successful in all of his ventures and is wanting to start his own haunted house. He had seen my business plan and project that I was wanting to start up with my business partner and also the lead make-up artist at the forest. He offered me a job to start this whole haunt, and right now we are looking for the property that we want to build on. We are targeting Utah County and Salt Lake County so are wanting to go for a centralized location where we can tap both of those places

There is a lot of haunts out here in Utah, and a very big love for haunts. Rocky Point was amazing in it's day and Nightmare on 13th, Castle of Chaos, have set the bar high for us to build and create an amazing haunt that would be recognized by others within the industry. You speak of 4 million for a property, that isnt actually too far off to the amount of money that is being invested in this venture. Right now we are thinking about 6 acres is what will be workable for us in the concept that we are wanting to create and the amount of people we want to be prepared for.

Now the haunt is going to be the main focus of the venue, but we want to also bring in Christmas, as well as have this place be a location that conventions (horror, renaissance, etc) and concerts can be as well. So it is a pretty huge project and I am trying to get all the help that I can in knowing what is going to be the best way to budget out our costs, and upkeep.

And to answer your questions

1. Are you a spy for some government agency or a sock puppet: No government entity here, and as far as a sock puppet, no, i have a sock monkey around here somewhere though if you want one

2. do you have any money (if not no problem, I can recommend wether or not to eat what you find in a dumpster) Why yes we do have money, i might be eating out of the dumpster of the business complex im working in at the moment because I don't have time to leave, so any advice on eating a sandwich that has only one bite out of it but is sadly on top of a glowing green piece of metal would be greatly appreciated

3. Where is it you have been given this opportunity: Good ol' state of Utah. Come one come all! bring your 50 kids and 13 wives to the best holiday bash of all time! We have green jell-o, funeral potatoes, and more!

4. Is it a charity or for profit event: This is going to be a profit event, but would love to allow charitable corporations have events at our haunt

5. is your event happening this year: Hell no! you think that 4 weeks is enough time to open up a haunt!? well maybe, but not the one that we have envisioned. right now we project that we are going to have this haunt open for the 2014 season. We want to go over every detail and then check and double check to make sure we have everything right. We don't want to rush this thing.

Hope that helps you know a little bit more about what I am working on, and trying to accomplish. Now if you'll excuse me I need to go deliver a package to some friends out in the middle of no-where in a suit and unmarked car........pay no attention to the fact the box is moving.....

Comment

I have been thinking I can have a room full of personal assistants in India for $10 per hour and you can text message your dumpster finds to EatitorDonteatIt.com and they will vote on whether to eat something or not for 10cents per text message. It would only take 100 calls per hour from hobos with smart phones to break even. After that is is all sweet profit.
                sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

So glad to see someone with a sense of humor show up! Welcome.

The first thing that pops into my mind is that because of the great number of haunts in Utah, some counties have actually forbidden that type of venue. So first step is making sure the zoning to the prospect area allows your type of event. And if so, what codes are they being held to.

In general, what you describe does sound like something that could be quite successful. Pretty much the end result of a ren fair, haunt season plus christmas is just like where Allen Hopps has been for a few years.

Green metal, Hmmm, does the metal turn black with a drop of hydrocloric acid or maybe there is a used wedge of lemon near by. If the metal turns blue only eat the top bread and fillings in the sandwich, leave the bottom bread there.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Chrise View Post
                    So glad to see someone with a sense of humor show up! Welcome.

The first thing that pops into my mind is that because of the great number of haunts in Utah, some counties have actually forbidden that type of venue. So first step is making sure the zoning to the prospect area allows your type of event. And if so, what codes are they being held to.

In general, what you describe does sound like something that could be quite successful. Pretty much the end result of a ren fair, haunt season plus christmas is just like where Allen Hopps has been for a few years.

Green metal, Hmmm, does the metal turn black with a drop of hydrocloric acid or maybe there is a used wedge of lemon near by. If the metal turns blue only eat the top bread and fillings in the sandwich, leave the bottom bread there.
                    I already have been working on talking with the county and cities in Utah county about the zoning and what is allowed. Some are pretty hesitant to allow any such place be built, but there are a few cities that I am spending most of my time looking for land that we can build this up on. So far they have been very willing to work with me and with the zoning. We just are looking for a few other places as the initial land we want to buy has some wetlands in it and we need to get a surveyer down to check and make sure that there are no endangered species that we could be disturbing if we decide to build there.

Right now that is our biggest hurtle. Just finding the right piece of land that has quick access from I-15 and can be reached by both counties no problem. So while I work on that, I also wanted to reach out to you guys in the industry to see what kind of expenses we should be expecting. Next week im planning on calling the electric company and see if we can work out a flat rate deal or something (it may only be an option after we have been established for a year or so) but still it is something that is worth looking into.

I had called Allen a week or two ago to ask him a little bit about his haunt (i follow his youtube channel which is awesome!) and he was saying to expect to spend about a dollar per sq ft on utilities and everything, which makes sense. I just wanted to get some others opinions as well.

hmm....well I dont have any hydrocloric acid on me...so maybe ill just skip this meal and wait to see what the button pushers have for me to scrounge through tonight. I was lucky and found a piece of fried chicken still in the bucket last night! I only threw up once afterwords so that tells me that it was still pretty fresh. Now i just need to start looking for improvements to my cardboard....er i mean Green living house that needs a new coat of crayon....er color accents to help make it more livable.

Comment

All three events at the same time right out of the box or build up over time. 3 kinds of events with entirely different electrical requirements.

A ren fair is back in the middle ages and so everything can be powered by something other than plugging in to something.

A haunted house is generally at night and so there is all the lighting and prop requirements.

Christmas is really pushing it on the expense levels as there needs to be a transformer every 150 feet or so.

Actually running power to the property can only be estimated by the local utility people. If it is undeveloped property you most likely have to pay for everything. From the last civilized place to your property.

As a start up guy I tend to think a bit smaller, like there is a renfair then there is a haunt in years to follow and then a decade later there is enough money to sustain a christmas conversion of the property, not all three from the beginning. There is no limit to spending money but having a break even point is realative to what it is you are trying to recover.

A haunt might be able to start on one haunted house and build up to many. Renfairs have a level of expectations of 20 somethings going on which is either fully developed by the promoter or mostly independent vendors. Even multiple haunts can actually be different vendors, though having well developed ones that have problems finding locations is just depending on what is happening from time to time.

Just like how some housing development springs up and is complete in 6 months or a year, or more a rural reality and development relative to how popular it really is.

I just had a can of beans from the dollar store that somehow cost $1.75.
                      Last edited by Greg Chrise; 08-25-2012, 05:37 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Starting with the least impactful thing is also how you don't alarm the local officials. You start out with one haunted outhouse that is run by a welder/generator with nice parking rather than Wham the olympics are going to be in your county, deal with it. Infastructure has time to adapt to power needs, traffic patterns, actual travel training for customers. Sometimes this happens right off the bat, most times it takes 3 years to really develop the market by actually doing it.

In any of these styles of events, they are totally different customer types, different tastes and marketing isn't going to be one kind of investment either. You have sort of committed staff to be year round for that rather than seasonal projects. You might as well add bicycle/atv events, concerts with 10,000 people standing in a field that have each paid $75 to $100 and throw in some paintball games. All completely different types of customers, requiring special targeting.

Time to feed the dogs, here goes another $1.75, also from the dollar store.
                        sigpic

Comment

1. Name of Haunt and Location
                          Trail of Terror Waxahachie TX (an upcharge attraction
                          2. Typical cost for gas in a season
                          to drive there? about $2,200 (1hr from my house) I dont use generators so if that is what you meant $0
                          3. Cost of Electric
                          $400 (Im pretty actor oriented)
                          4. How many actors do you have hired for your show?
                          5. How many sq feet (or acres if outdoor) is your haunt?
                          6. Typical amount of patrons that come through your doors (or gate, cave, etc) each season
                          I work hard to do under 10,000 patrons. For my show more would be hard to manage and the experience would diminish. My price point is they way to slow the flow.

7. Cost of upkeep, and repairs that you will budget each year.
                          $6,600 total
                          www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Okay, Allen has graciously filled out the survey. So breaking his numbers down end up offering other considerations and questions that are missing from the survey become apparent.

1. Allens Attraction is an upcharge to a longer established attraction that sees 60,000 plus customers per year and has somewhere between 7 and 10 attractions depending on what you want to define them as. So he already has use for his customers expenses like porta potties or permanent bathroom facilities, insurance requirements, advertising costs. There is no disclosure of ticket price, what percentage is held by the main event to cover and profit from such expenses.

4. So each actor might cost $500 a year or he is really nice and gives everyone $1000 a year. Some attractions have a line up of 45 to 75 actors and pay $50,000 per year and the actors feel improperly compensated. Still in attractions that range from 3,000 SF to multiple attractions and 11,000 SF or trails that are 18 acres. As far as income goes Allen may once paying the larger attraction their fee might make no more than any other actor. There is no room to pay for a million dollar mortgage.

5. The attraction can be one 5,000 SF piece of 56 acres or it can be one 5,000 SF attraction on one acre. Or it can be totally wrong and be one 20,000 SF attraction that sees 800 people per year.

6. This tries to limit number of guests reminds me that somewhere between 7500 and 10,000 customers, you start adding number of attractions to handle larger amounts of guests. For example 7500 might require one haunt. 10,000 demands you have two haunts but you don't reach the next thresold until you are at 7500 time two or 15,000 customers is still two haunts. You can go to 3 at that time but it might be throwing away the expenses of an entire cast of actors and lessen the money making effiency of the previous two haunts.

Further in the real world you can see 10,000 per haunt but it might be all of October you see 2,000 people and that last Saturday night 8,000 people line up. So you must purposely give customers incentive to come other nights than the last Saturday to spread it out.

7. Cost of off season up keep even on property that requires nothing is moved, still has expenses for stripping down the haunt of props and storing them. There are routine restocking of items that are somewhat perishable like cheaper masks, make up, fog juice, batteries, replacement of safety gear, first aid supplies, drinks, table settings and cleaning supplies. Then you get into walls that have been destroyed or just plain rotted with age, replacing costumes per year that were taken as souveniers. Replacing all the fog machines, tools and electronic gizmos that decided to die in storage for a year.

The questions have been answered and there is no reflection of how many hours per year are devoted above and beyond these dollar figures and by how many people that consider it a wonderful life style.

Even if your entrepenuer partner is willing to put 3 million into something or 4 million, there still would seem to be some end gain like the value of the property some day, or the fact that it would produce a profit that was at say 4% to 12% per year of what was invested. Anything less and the overall bigger picture efficiency and costs is called into question. Now buying 30 Subway sandwich stores doesn't sound like any fun but in a glimmer it better be some serious fun and quite the accomplishment in the end. In other words, at least carry the weight of its costs and liabilities.

Each attraction can easily be awarded a cost of $25,000 per year to $50,000 per year even with what would be considered free rent. Alas the rent still isn't really free, it still has a value that must be compensated for. Whether that is thought of as some partners share or return on investment is just a matter of words. Every flush of a toilet, every hour the electric is on in a big building, whether there is a heating and ventilation system running, fire extinqishers, plumbing calls, people driving over pipes and phone lines in the ground cost money to repair of not designed properly. Removal of rubbish and trash during construction and tear downs.

Then you get into other fees like banking charges, accounting fees, on line ticket percentages, pre paid legal services, un expected vehicle repairs or rental vehicles while that is being repaired or compensation for you spending the evening under a circus truck putting in a clutch. Possible medical expense because you fell off the ladder and ripped off your face or got so tired you put a screw through you hand. Bail money to make sure your trusted carnie staff is actually on property.

Other stupid expenses where you decided to give yourself a title that cost $1500 in attorney fees.

The list of possible fees and expenses and imaginary budgets can go on and on. Bottom line is if you spend it, it is no longer part of your own salary. It wasn't disclosed in Allens list so I imagine he is the attorney, accountant, medical care provider and the only title he gave himself is he character he decided to play that night.

Anyone can spend money. Can you make and keep money? What does failure look like? Is there an exit strategy? Do you even need one.
                            Last edited by Greg Chrise; 08-25-2012, 10:45 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Wants VS. Wills

There is a vast amount of knowlege and information all over this forum and others alike. This is proving to be an interesting thread...
                              The trick, or treat here (pun intended) is, does someone have the drive and desire to take their wants and turm them into the will to dig through all the posts to find the answers they are looking for? Just my thoughts...
                              Chris Riehl
                              Sales@spookyfinder.com
                              (586)209-6935
                              www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

Working...
                              X