What is the going rate for live actors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cliff View Post
    Now i feel like a cheap A$$. I pay $25.00 a night and a $100.00 bouns if you work ALL 15 nights!........oh and my makeup staff gets $20.00 on top of that. most act so thats $45.00 a night plus bonus.
    I've worked under similar conditions before. The first haunt I worked at paid $25 cash, with the potential for up to $15 in additional performance-based bonuses, per night.
    Incentive systems like that can work wonders for some people.
    I can tell you there were maybe two nights that I didn't walk out of there with the full $40, but there were plenty of co-workers who were happy just to take the $25 and do the bare minimum.

Comment

It is "Funny"

You pay someone $10 an hour, and they think you have now paid them to just show up, Now if you need them to actually DO something, then you should pay them some more money.
      I admit it, I come from a generation from long ago (Hatched 1949) I wil also admit to being grossly over-paid as a kid with a dollar a week alowance because movie admission was only 15cents, a big real chocolate candy bar was 10 cents, a plastic airplane model was 29 cents up to 98 cents, a tube of model glue was 10cents, Testor paint wasn't quite 10 cents yet, a comic book was 10 cents, neighborhood hooker-girls were only.. whoops! forget that.
      I have worked long hours doing strenious tasks for much less than the min, wage most of my life, but everybody who works for me does get paid because I have sharp memories of being on that other end of the brown, smelly "Stick".(That you throw deep into the woods, far from the main trail, so as not to offend.)
      I pacify any twinges of any guilt I might feel because I did build my business, doing probably 95% of All the work here it took to rebuild this old house and create all the rest of it,and contrary to some people's twisted, fantastic thinking, I am not a wealthy person, never have been, never will be unless something utterly fantastic might happen to make that happen. (Not counting on that)
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

We have been doing about 10 dollars a hour plus a bonus if they show up all our nights, works pretty well but they are still college kids and tend to be unreliable sometimes

Comment

Some great posts here, thanks for all who contributed. I think they all have merit, but at the same time, some claims are not universal. The feeling that "you get what you pay for" certainly applies to many, but not all haunts. I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would volunteer for free and give it my all if I I didn't have my own haunt. For years, I lost money doing this kind of thing, paying for the opportunity to scare, so doing it for "free" is not an outrageous idea at all. (It would certainly be a lot less stress!)

Most of our staff is volunteer, and one such person reminds me that there are some very well known haunts that use all volunteers, and they do fabulous work. He worked for House of Shock, with around 300 volunteers, about 200 of which return from year to year. And they take their work very seriously. That's in a major city (New Orleans) which certainly helps.

Smaller markets have to save money somewhere, and full time staff costs a lot more than just an hourly rate. Workman's Comp insurance, paper work, social security... It can be cost prohibitive for a lot of haunts that depend on a giant staff to fill a giant area. Fortunately, haunting is one area where the biggest budget doesn't mean you have the best haunt. (If it did, Universal and Busch Gardens would be the best in the business, but they aren't.) Creativity, originality, and commitment can still trump money in this profession. Let's hope it stays that way.
          www.TerrorOfTallahassee.com

Comment

Working...
          X