Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13th Gate Cave build

20120831_13thgate-92.jpg20120831_13thgate-123.jpg20120831_13thgate-133.jpg

Thought I would share a few pictures of our new cave system. Over 6 months of work and more than 30 tons of mortar & sand went into this 5000 sq ft cave system which has Neanderthal cave drawings, Ice, big waterfalls, wind tunnels, pools, streams, steam effects, echo effects, and a whole lot of detail featuring a variety of rock (flowstone, granite, etc), scattered plantlife ,albino catfish and insects including some nasty cave roaches. The pictures are well lit to show off some the detail but during the show the cave will be lit by torchlight/lanterns with lots of crevices and holes for our "creatures" to hide in (think "Descent") as well as many other scares and traps for you to spring if you come out to visit us during The Legendary Haunt Tour. Oh and did I mention the 400 live snakes?

20120831_13thgate-38.jpg20120831_13thgate-54.jpg

Comment

And one of a cypress tree we built out of mortar also.20120831_13thgate-143.jpg

Comment

I'm digging it!

Jake

Comment

Incredible detail !!!!

I gotta see this place !!!!

Comment

How are you going to keep those snakes in there?? Your cave looks incredible. How did you make them... was it foam then coated, or what... Larry
            Larry Kirchner
            President
            www.HalloweenProductions.com
            www.BlacklightAttractions.com
            www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
            www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

That is awesome, great job guys looks very convincing.

Comment

No foam, wood or hardcoat. It's made out of rebar, lath, and mortar. Every inch was hand carved.

The snakes are in a pit in the cave with a rope bridge going over the top. There is a snake scare in the cave that is going to nail everyone. We have carved out shelves on the walls and the snakes climb up all over the place. They are non-poisonous Diamond back watersnakes but are still very agressive and will bite you in a heartbeat. The model in the picture (one of our actors) got bit twice during the shoot (she's a tough gal and a snake lover so no big deal for her) and our wrangler (a snake expert who caught all 400 in one night) got bit more times than I could count.
                Last edited by Midnight13; 09-01-2012, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Awesome work, hope to see it sometime.
                  Ken L.

http://www.thedreamsofdarkness.com

Comment

Bravo.

What most cave builds miss that this one hits spot on
                    is that the ceiling of most passageways is a shelf of
                    limestone resting on water carved passage.

This looks exactly like an Eastern U.S. cave passage; someone
                    did their research. The undershelf dimpling is also accurate.
                    I spent every college summer guiding in the world's longest cave .

Also, this is ONLY INTENDED FOR TRIVIA OR NATURE PEOPLE, not a dig
                    on this haunt environment, which I think is stellar, and is a perfect place
                    for these very rattler looking herps. For Haunt Dramatic License I like
                    snakes and spiders anywhere they feel like being.

For the record, even in the deep south snakes are never found deep
                    in caverns, never. Caves take on the average temperature of their
                    climate band, which in the Eastern US is around 56 degrees F, give or take.
                    Snakes are ectothermic and need much warmer climes to function. If you
                    did find a snake deep in, though alive, they'd appear dead from lack of
                    movement.

They do den underground but these are very shallow and warmer. You can
                    find them around entrances at times but never in the bowels of the earth.
                    Who knows about South AM. or Africa.
                    Last edited by Twin Locusts; 09-01-2012, 10:19 AM.

Comment

I figured that is how you did it to get those kinds of textures... so you had to spray some concrete and carve it as it dried. But back on the snakes how are you sure the snakes can't get out can't they climb up the walls or what keeps them in there. Do you have a full time snake guy who takes care of them? Do you feed them rats? I can honestly say it looks awesome!

Larry
                      Larry Kirchner
                      President
                      www.HalloweenProductions.com
                      www.BlacklightAttractions.com
                      www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
                      www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

Comment

We carved this particular room of the cave so there are spots where they can climb up on the shelves and other areas have undercuts or are smooth where it is hard to climb out. Watersnakes are heavy so they can't climb as well as say a green tree snake. They great thing about these snakes is that they eat fish not rats. We do have a full time reptile expert on staff and they will be released back into the wild as soon as the show is over.

Comment

Please tell me you do giant spider nests as well as you do caves...

Unbelievable work btw. This caliber of dedication and craftsmanship should get recognition. Seriously- there should be a "Spookies Award" hosted and held at Transworld.

Well done!
                          Last edited by zombietoxin; 09-02-2012, 09:32 AM.
                          How can a man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers and the temple of his gods.

What you put into your mind- you put into your life.

www.zombietoxin.com

Comment

Pretty Bad ass!

Comment

Yeah im going to say thats one of the most amazing things i have seen...ever.
                              Shawn
                              Fear Engineer
                              HauntedHouse.ca

Comment

Working...
                              X