Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aerial/Fly Rigging - Training, Certification, and Industry Standards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aerial/Fly Rigging - Training, Certification, and Industry Standards?

Hey everyone! It's been awhile since I have posted on here...

For the haunts that use aerial or fly rigging stunts, what procedures or guidelines do you follow? What training do you require? What are your standards for inspections? Where do you get your training? What are your resources?

I am starting to look into this field of theatrical tech and I am aware that there is no government agency that oversees any sort of licensing for this field. It appears that the ETCP (Entertainment Tech Cert Program) is the most "official" certification out there, but you can also get certification from places like RigStar. ETCP certification can only come by work experience, which is near impossible for me while holding a full-time non-rigging job elsewhere. RigStar certification only requires 60 hours in MA for both classroom and hands-on training. Are there other companies out there for that type of training? Is RigStar training adequate? Or do you just rely on websites and common sense?

Any advice, help, links, etc for what you guys do would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    sigpic

Common sense, and lots of testing. It is also a good idea to talk to others who have done a similar effect.
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Hence my post here.

Seriously though, thanks. Responses help me gauge where the industry is at on this.
      sigpic

Comment

I've been thru a couple of fall protection and rigging training courses. Different entities teach their own certification, but you're right about there being any kind of national standard to go by. Tomcat rigging offers an in-depth program. As far as performing aerial or circus type work, you may want to consult a professional circus training school.
        http://www.tomcatglobal.com/training.html

Comment

Thanks!! That was a very useful link. They're listed on the ETCP's website as a resource, but I hadn't checked them out yet. Just trying to figure out which training from any company is going to be the most beneficial.
          sigpic

Comment

Foy Rigging

Tomcat is a great source for tools and stuff (tools for calculating load tables). Also Clancy is a good source of information when trying to determine load factors. I have done rigging professionally, and I have done flying stuff. For simple fly rigs I do them myself based on all the years I have worked in this area. For really complicated stuff though, I turn to the pros. When I worked in LA there were plenty of pros that specialized in this so I had a lot of resources. Of course, if you want the best of the best and the guys who did it first, there is none better than Foy Rigging. They can work with different budgets and I have seen them do smaller budget shows. If you have ever seen Peter Pan or Mary Poppins flying around the stage, you have seen Foy at work.

Check out their Website http://www.flybyfoy.com
            Travis "Big T" Russell
            President
            Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

Flying Big T ....... there's an image

Attached is one of Foy's documents for a standard package he offers for Peter Pan productions. Includes rigging and training, and much more, About $3,000 for the system rental (its quite complex) for a week. Another $800 or so for additional weeks. This is not bad when you consider what you can do with this rig. I might think about this myself for next year. I wonder if there is a weight limit on Foy Rigs?? ;-)
              Attached Files
              Travis "Big T" Russell
              President
              Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

I've worked with rigging in the theatre there was a great company we worked with that I can't remember. But they came in and taught everyone the proper inspection and procedure. I agree Allen. A LOT of common sense! Just for one pass, there was a ton of preparation and security checks.
                Operator of "The Shadows" in Pittsburgh, PA

TheShadowsHaunt.com

Comment

Working...
                X