Thrillvania Thrill Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thrillvania Thrill Park

Spent yesterday night at Thrillvania Thrill Park in Terrell, TX. Left from Shreveport at around 7:30. The drive was over 2 hours, we got there near 10 pm.

Upon arrival, you are charged $5 for parking. I was a little upset there was a parking fee, I don't think haunts should charge for parking.

For two of us, it was $64.50 to be able to enter all parks. Not too bad.

We first went through The 3D Haunt, Labyrinth of Terror. It had amazing 3D effects, I was EXTREMELY impressed with the 3D effects and most of the actors in there were fantastic, with a few exceptions. Overall, I loved it, but the walk through was VERY short- maybe 5 minutes.

We then went to Verdun Manor. The que line, which they call an attraction, we very well set with a few actors here and there. It was great BECAUSE there was no wait, so it did seem like an extra attraction, but later in the season when you are stuck waiting in there, it will be nothing more than a set que line, I just don't see why they would call that an attraction.

Verdun Manor itself was pretty good. It wasn't nearly as good as I had heard, unfortunately. It was severely understaffed, we maybe saw 5-6 actors in the whole attraction... but it was designed very well, and overall I liked it

Next, we went to the Thorn Hall. The wait was 20 minutes despite we were the only ones in line- must have been some hold up inside, but it was NOT worth it. It was just a black maze... the walls had spiky material all over them, and it hurt to touch them, and since it was completely black, you had to use your hands to feel. There mustve been a lot of static electricity because i got big ole shocks two times from the curtains in there. THE ONLY SCARY PART WAS WORRYING ABOUT BEING SHOCKED! It was very disappointing.

Finally, we went to the Granny Lupus show. The effects were mediocre, and the show was terrible. Not just bad- terrible. It was a big waste of time. Luckily we didn't wait for it, because if we would have, i would have been PISSED.

Overall, its not a bad haunt, but its been on Travel Channel and in top haunts lists, it just doesn't deserve that AT ALL! I had a fun time, but had i waited for long periods of time, i would have been extremely disappointed.

Not worth the 2 and a half our drive, barely worth the $64.50 (it's iffy), and the parking fee just kind of aggravated me.

Anyone else been here? What do yall think about it?
    INSANITY SCREAM PARK

I do not think this is an appropriate place to post haunt reviews. Kinda sounds like you're putting down the attraction. Do you own a haunted attraction? Do you know how much work and money goes into running one? Either way I think it's classless to post bad reviews on the Fright Forum.

Just my opinion!
    1986-1997 (Mutilation Mansion,) 1998 (Screamers Haunted House,) 1999 (Evil Intention Haunted House,) 2000-2001 Concept Creator/Business Partner (Urban Legends Haunted House,) 2002 Floor Plan Designer and Consultant for a (Haunted Barn) Owners had city challenges & were never able to open, 2002 Floor Plan Designer/Construction (Fright Nights Haunted House) 2003-2012 Now retired Owner (Deadly Intentions Haunted Attraction)

Comment

i think it suks that haunt that is rated as one of americas best haunts has 5 of 6 actors..
      i too have traveled far relying on a site that claims a place to be one of americas best...
      only to find its not half as good as another place down the street but just with owners with less money or pull in this industry...
      a forum is an exchange of opinions about a subject...and this is a haunted house forum...
      that i have read tons of bad reviews on..about all kinda things haunted...
      where is a more fitting place to discuss haunts ?

come check out the Hooch
      in order to see the orchestra ...you must turn your back on the crowd...

www.HAUNTEDHOOCHIE.COM
      www.DEADACRES.COM

Comment

Originally posted by Howie Slobber Erlich View Post
        I do not think this is an appropriate place to post haunt reviews. Kinda sounds like you're putting down the attraction. Do you own a haunted attraction? Do you know how much work and money goes into running one? Either way I think it's classless to post bad reviews on the Fright Forum.

Just my opinion!
        Classless? To post my opinion on a HAUNTED HOUSE on a HAUNT FORUM? hmm, sorry, didn't know I wasn't entitled to an opinion. I do not own a haunted attraction, however, yes, I DO know how much work and money goes into running one. But even if I didn't, it doesn't matter. THEY BOAST BEING ONE OF THE BEST HAUNTS IN AMERICA and CHARGE AS IF THEY WERE.

Putting em down or not, Its JUST MY OPINION as well.
        INSANITY SCREAM PARK

Comment

Shredman

The shocks you were feeling were there on purpose. There called shock mats, or scat mats for pets.

Comment

This is not a stupid review site this is a site for Haunters to exchange ideas. Show some respect how would you feel if other haunters came on here to talk junk about your show?

DA

Comment

Originally posted by Darkangel View Post
              This is not a stupid review site this is a site for Haunters to exchange ideas. Show some respect how would you feel if other haunters came on here to talk junk about your show?

DA
              If I boasted about how amazing it was, and it wasn't anything better than average, I would probably need to read it.
              INSANITY SCREAM PARK

Comment

If I was going to put it anywhere on Hauntworld, I may have placed it in Haunt House Products, Vendors and Industry Issues. This is not a haunted house review web site. Most of the people on these forums are in the industry and not haunt customers. It seems the only reason to make a post like that is to piss off the owners or crew of that attraction.

As far as them boasting about their haunt, come on, every haunt does it. (Biggest, Best, Scariest, Largest, Darkest, Biggest Vortex tunnel, Best 3D and so on.) It is only your opinion, maybe thousands of other people think it is the best haunt around. When you bash another haunt it just makes you sound like your jealous of their haunt or have sour grapes. It will not hurt them in the slightest bit. I have learned this over the years. I myself have posted negatively about other haunts and it doesn't do anybody any good. It only made me look like an ass. I learned from my mistakes and maybe you'll understand what I'm talking about some day. Maybe not!

My mother always told me "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!"
                1986-1997 (Mutilation Mansion,) 1998 (Screamers Haunted House,) 1999 (Evil Intention Haunted House,) 2000-2001 Concept Creator/Business Partner (Urban Legends Haunted House,) 2002 Floor Plan Designer and Consultant for a (Haunted Barn) Owners had city challenges & were never able to open, 2002 Floor Plan Designer/Construction (Fright Nights Haunted House) 2003-2012 Now retired Owner (Deadly Intentions Haunted Attraction)

Comment

Originally posted by shredman View Post
                  If I boasted about how amazing it was, and it wasn't anything better than average, I would probably need to read it.
                  I would have to concur with Shredman.

I am particularly grateful for the review as I am actually here in DFW, and was indeed planning on going to Thrillvania, but after that review, while I might still go for educational purposes (both in the positive and negative respects), I am definitely not making it a priority, and I am definitely glad that I am not spending the $50 a ticket required for a speed pass. I usually prefer speed passes, so as not to wait some 2 hours in line for each sub-attraction, but even in this respect, I would have been very pissed off to have paid that much money, only to be that underwhelmed. Basically, if I can't hit it early in the evening, and early in the season (thus avoiding the crowds and lines), then I'll just wait til next year perhaps, if even that.

As for his review not doing anyone any good, it did me a world of good! It saved me from a long, expensive, costly, frustrating, and arduous night, and will free me up to go to a different haunt this year, where my time and money may very well be better spent (and where parking might just be free).

As for whether his review is an appropriate one or not, well, in a word, they "went there" before he did. When you boast legendary status, boast being one of the top haunts in America, and boast $30-$50 per ticket, then you are setting the standard pretty high indeed, and opening yourself up to legitimate criticism. When you trade on the distinction of being "The House that Lance Built" and "Designed by a former Disney Imagineer", then it is absolutely incumbent upon you to delivery fully every ounce of haunt experience promised. To not do so is a gross betrayal of claims made.

(I've heard it said that when Lance Pope died, something at Thrillvania died with him. While that may be severe, and may or may not be accurate, I have heard several people comment that it is just not the same without him. Either way, it is most regrettable.)

Interesting to note, Shredman's review struck me as very fair, and well balanced, with the main criticisms levied against legitimate grievances, such as having to pay for parking (for instance) on what is, to my understanding, private property, with no obligations to third party parking lot providers. I don't know if the parking lot in question is paved or not, but I have seen as much as $6 charged for parking when the premium parking space in question was nothing more than a spot of flattened grass and dirt out in the middle of an open field. That smacks of monopolistic practices and predatory capitalism. If the lot is paved with gravel, again, such fees can be reasonably regarded as excessive. If paved with asphalt, I'm sure by now the costs laying asphalt have been amortized. Those kinds of moves are filed purely under the heading of "cashing in on the customer" with no comparable value provided in return. That is predatory capitalism, taking advantage of temporary monopolies at the customers' expense.

As for the rest of the review, there was no pissy or snobbish tone about "clowns, really? Aren't they overdone?" or "chainsaws, really? Can't we be more original than that" and so on. There were no debates on matters of taste or different preferences, and he was overall complementary in his tone (such as in regards to Verdun Manor itself, and the effects in the 3D haunt), which was balanced and contrasted with his complaints about the crappy treatment of the expensive amenities, and the fact that some of the haunts failed to deliver on their stated promise and premise.

And, again, remember, this is a haunt that boasts "selected as one of America's best haunts" and so on. If Shredman had gone to a new mom'n'pop haunt (for charity, no less) that was in it's first year and only charged $10, with short lines, and then he wrote a scathing review, your point (Howie and DA) would be well taken, but, as it happens, he reviewed a haunt that has put itself out there as one of the best. Sure, most self-promoters use self-praising adjectives in their copy, but Thrillvania has those "best haunt" seals all over their website.

In that regard, a balanced and reasonable review is fair game indeed.

C.

Comment

BrotherMysterio, I respect your opinion and your post. But I must say that when I see a post like the original one, I automatically assume it's a competitor who is upset at another haunt for one reason or another.

I have seen it over and over again and sometimes it is very unjustified. In fact, most of the time.

You are excepting his version of what he saw at the attraction which we don't even know is true. For all I know it could all be a bold face lie. Just because someone posts a review does not mean it is a true account of what they saw or that they even went to the haunt at all. I am not saying that he didn't go but I am suspicious.

I do not take everything I read for gospel when it comes to reviews of a haunt especially when it comes from a bias point of view meaning the post was written by someone who owns or works for another haunt.

If you haven't been there for yourself I would suggest forming your own opinion rather than taking the word from someone who might just be their main competition or someone with an axe to grind. I have no idea how his attraction is because I have never been there myself to form an opinion however, I'm not going to dismiss it based off an unflattering review.

Just my opinion,

Comment

Originally posted by Howie Slobber Erlich View Post
                      BrotherMysterio, I respect your opinion and your post. But I must say that when I see a post like the original one, I automatically assume it's a competitor who is upset at another haunt for one reason or another.

I have seen it over and over again and sometimes it is very unjustified. In fact, most of the time.

You are excepting his version of what he saw at the attraction which we don't even know is true. For all I know it could all be a bold face lie. Just because someone posts a review does not mean it is a true account of what they saw or that they even went to the haunt at all. I am not saying that he didn't go but I am suspicious.

I do not take everything I read for gospel when it comes to reviews of a haunt especially when it comes from a bias point of view meaning the post was written by someone who owns or works for another haunt.

If you haven't been there for yourself I would suggest forming your own opinion rather than taking the word from someone who might just be their main competition or someone with an axe to grind. I have no idea how his attraction is because I have never been there myself to form an opinion however, I'm not going to dismiss it based off an unflattering review.

Just my opinion,
                      You respect his opinion and post, but not mine? Hm. Sorry, didn't know I wasn't allowed to express my feelings about a haunted house on a haunted house forum.

Also, I don't have any haunt, I DONT WORK FOR A HAUNT (yet) So how is my opinion biased? Your post doesn't make any sense. Also, if you don't trust that I went there, go for yourself, and see if what I said was false.

I mean c'mon
                      INSANITY SCREAM PARK

Comment

You signed your post Insanity Scream Park implying that you own or work for an attraction unless I am completely clueless!

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion I just think putting down a haunted house on this site is in bad taste. Just like I disagreed with Larry's post on the haunt from New York. Just because you are allowed to post it does not mean you should. There are plenty of web sites that are strictly for the purpose of posting haunt reviews. Search Google. The only reason to post it hear is in the hopes that the owners of that haunt will see it and upset them. Most haunt owners at least view this forum from time to time.

I hope that the owners of Thrillvania do see this post and respond and defend themselves if they are able to the points you made. Or anybody else that has another view of that show. But, very few people actually have any balls so I doubt anybody will.

Everybody do and post what you want. I guess my opinion and advice is never welcomed on this board. Pretty much has been that way for many years. So I guess I should just sit here quietly and keep my opinions to myself. I know nothing about this industry. I know that the only opinion on here that is correct is Larry's. If you don't agree with him or the way he thinks than your wrong and "bad for the industry." He knows everything about this industry and his way is the right way always. He really is the King of Halloween. So I am sorry to all who I have offended over the last 26 years! I'll shut up now!

Comment

One more thing if that's ok. I thought this forum was named the Fright Forum Not the Haunted House Forum? "Welcome to the industry's most comprehensive chat room on the internet. We invite you to ask questions, reply to subjects and assist haunters world wide and to learn from each other's experiences." I do not see anywhere in that the right to post negative reviews on another haunted house. Maybe I'm wrong

Comment

Howie, you are entitled to your opinion and I respect it, I just feel like you didn't respect mine. I did not make the post to upset the owner, however, I am like you, I hope they read it, they need to know how people feel about their haunt.
                            INSANITY SCREAM PARK

Comment

So is insanity scream park much better than thrillvania then? Havent seen your haunt crack any top lists unlessim missing something.

DA

Comment

Working...
                              X