Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Number of years doing a haunt? Is this acceptable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Number of years doing a haunt? Is this acceptable?

I was wondering since I have been doing a party for 5 years this year and working my way towards a haunt. If I put up a haunt next year, Can I say 6th annual haunt? Or when I finally start a haunt do I have to start back as a 1st year haunt?

In my experience interviewing and talking with other haunters, they keep home haunts/parties seperate from professional haunts. Most of them would say something to the extent of "i started out doing a small home haunt in my basement and after 7 years of doing that, decided i wanted to go pro and open up a haunted attraction and i've been doing the attraction now for 5 years".

That was just an example, but my advice would be to keep them seperate. You don't have to totally get rid of the home haunt experience, just from a marketing standpoint, it's best to seperate the two.

Just my thoughts.

Comment

Thanks, understood

Comment

to customers or the media a story such as rick just mentioned sort of endears the potential audience. It establishes and long term relationship with the event rather than just the idea of having a buainess. You got in to having a pro haunt because of you long term love of the season and the potential such an event could provide for patrons rather than we just do it for the money, thanks for asking, move along...

There is nothing wrong with saying your parties were small community events that made a larger pro haunt seem the next logical step for everyone to better enjoy the season.
        sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

We are a home haunt (trail) that is working hard at going pro, so with that in mind we picked a tag line that covers it now and later when we do go pro.
          "Giving People The Chills Since 2005"
          Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

And while you are at it don't forget to have a gigantic day-glow poster printed saying "Voted Bestest, Most Fantastic Haunted House Every Year Since 1939!"
            The general public must just love overstated bulshitte like this, why else would it keep appearing on haunt posters?
            hahahahah!
            Once you start the two most important things , I believe, is to try and keep the same location every year and the same haunt name.
            Of course this is assuming you are really impressing people with your efforts.
            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I too would avoid calling it the sixth annual..... whatever. The event simply has not been existence that long. There are a goodly number of people who would feel that they were being misled and might not appreciate it. On the other hand, in interviews, press releases, etc. it would be perfectly fair to say that your haunt team brings X years of experience to bear on the project. The years hosting the party should certainly be counted.

Anyway, my 2.5 cents worth.

Dave
              Lords of Chaos, LLC
              House of Chaos Haunted Attraction

Comment

I just went back and fixed my post, I think someone is screwing around. ED, I'm changing my password.
                Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

Changing your password won't work if Allen Luden was around.
                  hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

It's just advertising, and all is fair as long as you're talking about yourself and not slamming the competition.

If you want 6 years of creditability, just spin it as others have mentioned.

After 5 years of doing private events in the community, we have found the need to expand and go for a larger more puiblic event.

that kinda thing.

once you're established for a few more years, talking about your smaller roots will feel more comfortable to you, and you can then point to your success's and look back at what has grown from the small acorn

Best of luck
                    Gravely MacCabre
                    aka Ricky Dick
                    Castle Blood Haunted Adventure Tour
                    and
                    Midnight Monster Hop
                    Horror Host Show

Beallsville, PA 15313
                    www.castleblood.com
                    www.midnightmonsterhop.com
                    www.myspace.com/midnightmonsterhop.com

Media Director for National Halloween Convention