Character Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Character Development

Hey everyone! I'm a total noob to the haunt industry, and sadly, I'm not very scary. My boss seems to think I'd be better at entertaining the people in the queue (reading rules, calming down hysterical people, pointing out possible troublemakers) rather than scaring people on the inside. This is a costumed/in character position, but I'm not allowed to do anything more extreme than startle-scare people. I realize this is an important job, and that it's not a job that just anyone can do. But still, after our first weekend, he's pretty much made up his mind that he wants me out there every Saturday night. :|

I'm not 100% against it, but I'd still like to be able to prove that I CAN be scary and that my bosses can trust me to do well wherever I'm placed. Does anyone have any good resources at their disposal on developing scary and memorable characters?
    Chris Riehl
    Sales@spookyfinder.com
    (586)209-6935
    www.spookyfinder.com

Originally posted by Katie Mechenbier View Post
    Hey everyone! I'm a total noob to the haunt industry, and sadly, I'm not very scary. My boss seems to think I'd be better at entertaining the people in the queue (reading rules, calming down hysterical people, pointing out possible troublemakers) rather than scaring people on the inside. This is a costumed/in character position, but I'm not allowed to do anything more extreme than startle-scare people. I realize this is an important job, and that it's not a job that just anyone can do. But still, after our first weekend, he's pretty much made up his mind that he wants me out there every Saturday night. :|

I'm not 100% against it, but I'd still like to be able to prove that I CAN be scary and that my bosses can trust me to do well wherever I'm placed. Does anyone have any good resources at their disposal on developing scary and memorable characters?
    More later, but the short answer is that there are different kinds of scary.

For instance, a total "bump on a log", "couldn't scare a flea", "couldn't even get a shill to react" type person can be incredibly scary, and the scariest thing in the house, if, say, I put that person in a dot suit and have them work the Dot Room. In a Dot Room, it is absolutely paramount that the person in question not be scary in any way, shape, or form. Their sole job, and sole purpose, is to literally just stand in a corner, and then when the patrons come thru, literally take just one step forward. That alone is enough to put most people thru a wall. The effect is profound.

If, however, they are tempted to "mix it up" a bit, or "take it to the next level" buy jumping out and going "gotcha!" or some cheesy line like "I have you now!" or whatever, then that will totally kill the effect, and if I ever got wind of it, I would have them out sweeping up the parking lot in two shakes.

Likewise, JB's Final Event from Castle Dragon (response forthcoming to that thread, and I respectfully disagree with the naysayers in that thread) absolutely depended on the person, again, not being scary, but rather having good timing. In fact, you would be the perfect candidate for that room, and you would be a true star of the show in that regard.

Anyway, more later, but right now just enjoy what you are doing, and work on material for next year.

C.

Comment

Working...
    X