Curtain Maze Emergency System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curtain Maze Emergency System

We're looking at building a curtain maze for next years show and I'm wondering what do most people use for emergency egress lighting? Obliviously exit signs would defeat the purpose of the maze entirely! What do you suggest that would please the fire Marshall and inspectors?

Don't know how feasible this is, but maybe have your curtain maze be electronic??

Use a mechanical rod across the top to hold the curtain walls in place, and in the event of a power loss/emergency, the rods can fold down or swing out to create a clear path for exit?? Obvious it's easier said than done, but I'm assuming the technology of an emergency light going on when power goes out can be applied to perform that task??

Forgive my ignorance if that is totally unfeasible, I don't know much about electrical connections or the complexity of doing something of that nature, but in theory it should be possible with the aid of someone with more knowledge on the subject.

Or maybe even more simpler but possibly more effective. Just like you have to hire on scene fire fighters in the event of a fire, could you rig the curtained panels to a pulley system, so that in the event of an emergency you can have a designated watchman to pull all of the curtains up at the same time?? It would require more mechanical thought, and paid man-hours, but if it let's you open.... In mazes like that, there really should be an overwatch system anyway, so there should be a central guard tower that can view the whole maze to ensure everyone is out, or not getting too lost, or being obnoxious or fornicating in a hard to get to corner lol.

Comment

If I were you, I'd hook all of the curtains up to a central point. I.E. they are all tied together, and, in the case of an emergency, you can cut something or push a button so they all fall down at once. It's 230am in Chicago, so I don't know if that sentence made sense, but that's what I would do!
      Bryce Ring
      Co-owner/ Designer
      Twisted Realms Haunted House

Comment

Curtains

Maybe get 6 foot tall curtains instead of 8 ft. and hang them 2 feet off the ground with the bottom of the vinyl not attached. Then put your emergency lighting or exit signs low on the ground so that no matter where you are in the maze you tell the people in case of emergency drop to your hands and knees and crawl to the marked exit signs.

Comment

Working...
        X