Haunted House Make-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haunted House Make-up

What kind of make-up do your actors use? Grease make-up or cream make-up? I'm going to make an order soon and was wondering what is the most effective/looks the best? Do you use store bought make-up like Rubies or Funworld packaged make-up? What are the pros and cons? And can you really tell the difference/see the difference?

Thanks
    -Grant

I am also going to start ordering all of my make up so any good companys or places to buy from?

Comment

I use alot of things to scare and entertain my patrons here but I use no make up.
      If they can't pick up on my "evil" vibes and infer from the tonal qualitys of my voice that they should be afraid...well, then there is no hope.
      (Besides that, I sweat off any make up!)
      "Oh, LOOK! It's the despicable Sweat-Monster Jim! RUN!!"
      hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Hey Guys, If you havent already purchased Haunting Makeup Volume 1, I suggest that you do, I no longer carry this DVD but you can pick it up from the guys at www.screamlinestudios.com or from jonathan at www.Rottingfleshradio.com This DVD is Packed Full of Information that will help you out along the road to GREAT MAKEUP!

Also if you Buy your makeup from www.Graftobian.com and tell them that You seen my demo (BODYBAGS) youll recieve a 10-20 % DISCOUNT ON YOUR MAKEUP ORDER! Good Luck guys!!!!!!!!!!!
        Buried deep beneath Darksyde acres Haunted house In Michigan I'm the Best at what I do, What I do Isn't very NICE!

Comment

Our 100 actors use mehron grease make-up, almost all color cups and stage blood.

We are our own supplier. We are a mehron distributor. We also give big discounts to haunts ordering there yearly supply for the season.

http://evilusions.com/shop/index.php...27ac57486a0e16
          Brian Warner
          Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
          Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
          Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

And not only that, Gadget also has a in on some very good Makeup howtos videos....check them out!
            Buried deep beneath Darksyde acres Haunted house In Michigan I'm the Best at what I do, What I do Isn't very NICE!

Comment

yeah, that too, thanks rob!
              Brian Warner
              Owner of Evilusions www.EVILUSIONS.com
              Technical Director of Forsaken Haunted House www.Forsakenhaunt.com
              Mechanical Designer (animatronics) at Gore Galore www.Gore-Galore.com

Comment

We use a wide variety of stuff. We use a lot of Wolfe Brothers make-up and a lot of Mehron liquid make-up.
                Yes, I think there is a difference in cheap store make-up and good make-up. There is a difference in the look and the ease of application. However, I'm also a firm believer in making do with what you have. I know there are some that can turn a little shoe polish and old bubble gum into a good make-up job. Someone else once said that haunted house make-up in essence is making do with what you have, and doing it really quickly. If you have talented make-up people they usually can do both really well.
                sigpic
                Louis Brown
                Owner, operator, and dish washer
                at
                DarkWood Manor

Comment

I was hoping to hear something along those lines. Thanks Lurker!!
                  -Grant

Comment

Graftobian

As a professional makeup artist, I can highly recommend Graftobian makeup. I use it on many Hollywood film projects. We also are a reseller of thier products. Visit them directly at www.Graftobian.com or view the products we carry at www.Boneyardfx.com/onlinestore.htm Larry Bones - Bone Yard Effects, Inc.

Comment

I like Graftobian for their quality / bang for the buck in makeup. Though for face painting I recently switched over to the Wolfe Brothers makeup and I love the stuff. ... so how does this relate to a haunt..... k... For our primary actors we use mostly, standard creme makeups and next year Wolfe Brothers. The reason for both is some characters need to have the "look" a creme makeup provides. But when you want to truly paint on a face for a character like a zombie or a fast half corpse thing something like Wolfe Brothers can not be beat for fast, fast face painting. If you are talking about putting this on some kind of prosthetic then you are really looking at rubber mask grease paint. If you can to have someone run your makeup area who knows what is what it will probably help out. Actors tend to do things like mix water in the rubber mask grease paint to thin it.... very aggressively......and make sludge...... If you are still not sure what mix of things you need you might just call Graftobian. I did that many years back when I was first getting into airbrush makeup and they were incredibly helpful. They even went so far as to suggest a competing product ... that kind of service is just cool.......

Shops wise I tend to use these places..... Mehron and Graftobian direct when I can't find the product I want elsewhere...

http://www.fxwarehouse.info/
                      http://www.fxsupply.com/
                      http://www.wolfefx.com/
                      http://www.graftobian.com/
                      http://www.mehron.com/

We use Mehron liquid make-up too... for the airbrush in bulk. But for quality "in close" actors we use Graftobian. Its a balance of cutting down on cost and letting the guys right in the guests faces look good.....
                      http://www.innerfears.com/
                      http://www.innerfearshauntedhouse.com

Comment

Haunt Makeup

Great post, I agree with Dr. Zombie - and recommend those links too; FX Warehouse is great for finding just about anything.

We use Mehron waterbased makeup primarily including for airbrush; but of course, we love the Wolfe Brothers and other products and vendors as well.

If you're looking for one stop shopping for water-based makeup for face painting, check out www.SillyFarm.com - they carry major brands plus accessories, videos. etc.

Best regards,
                        Neena
                        Terror Park at Cooper Stadium, Columbus Ohio
                        Neena Collins | MidOhio Productions

Midwest Haunters Convention
                        June 3-5, 2011 Columbus, Ohio
                        www.MidwestHauntersConvention.com

Comment

We go old school here, and most of us use Mehron grease paint. Okay, I used to do some work for them back in the olden times and they're what I learned with. Most of our cast that had skills before we got them were theater folks, so it just kinda stuck that way.

We use woochie appliances and we use Boneyardfx appliances, and then we make the other stuff we need.
                          One great resourse is the unpainted pulls that screamline sells from their face art line. we use them on props as well as actors.
                          how can you go wrong at those prices.

If folks are looking to learn tried and true theatrical makeup with a haunters attitude, we have instructional videos for sale on our website.

I'm also obviously impressed with the wolfe brothers.
                          If you can find an actor or artist that can actually replicate their stuff in your place, what a great asset that can be.
                          Gravely MacCabre
                          aka Ricky Dick
                          Castle Blood Haunted Adventure Tour
                          and
                          Midnight Monster Hop
                          Horror Host Show

Beallsville, PA 15313
                          www.castleblood.com
                          www.midnightmonsterhop.com
                          www.myspace.com/midnightmonsterhop.com

Media Director for National Halloween Convention

http://www.halloweenshow.com
                          Lifetime achievement award winner
                          International Costumers Guild

Comment

^ I feel you there... I'm a theater major in college and now ALL about the theater make-up. -Tyler
                            Chris Riehl
                            Sales@spookyfinder.com
                            (586)209-6935
                            www.spookyfinder.com

Comment

I like using lots of different products. I've got certain things from one product line and other things from another and so on. A lot of lines have similar products and it's really just finding one you like to use that works for you. I definitely agree with the "make do with what you have" aspect. Try things out and see what works for you. Ben Nye, Graftobian, Mehron, Wolfe Bros., Boneyard FX, Screamline, Steins...there are a ton of places to browse. Start with what you've got and branch out.

I also agree with one of the above posters that having a versatile makeup artist working with you can make a huge difference.
                              www.mindseizure.com
                              www.myspace.com/mindseizurehauntedhouse

Comment

Working...
                              X