Checkered Room?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checkered Room?

Has anyone tried a checkered room where a person is dressed in Black and White checkers to blend into the walls and jumps out at you? If so what light did you use strobe, blacklight, solid color? Thanks

I think it would harder to find a haunt that hasn't done the checkered room... Nearly all that I have seen used strobes, very 80's effect IMO.

Jake

Comment

Well we want to twist the dot room so we have all the walls ceilings checkered and a body suit checkered but the strobe isn't cutting it so we are thinking maybe just a solid color light like green. The blacklight makes the body suit look like red checkers so it doesn't blend into the walls.

Comment

In the blink of an eye .....

All the ones I saw had strobe lights, very bright, in a very dark room. The strobe light gave the "stuttered" effect where you see the object at a distance and the next instant in front of you. I guess it really depends on the size of strobe you are using and the speed of the strobe.
        Travis "Big T" Russell
        President
        Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

Strobe lights are best for that, really bright, really slow.
          www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
          http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by HauntedDeadEnd View Post
            Well we want to twist the dot room so we have all the walls ceilings checkered and a body suit checkered but the strobe isn't cutting it so we are thinking maybe just a solid color light like green. The blacklight makes the body suit look like red checkers so it doesn't blend into the walls.
            How does that work with the checker pattern? A square repeating pattern on flat, square walls, with someone having a checker pattern wrapping around their body, which has round contours? Wouldn't the person in the checker suit look like a harlequin and stand out against the flat, geometric surfaces? Usually, the advantage of dots is that they are random patterns, which adds to the camo effect.

C.

Comment

To make is work, you have to have not just a square room or hall, it has to be where the walls are staggered and there are a few different cube shapes in the room so picking out any particular plane in the room is some work for the brain, then when someone is moving around and even when the colors line up wrong it doesn't register because there is too much to process, then the strobe is to go in a fashion that is slow enough to have complete darkness then lit up things that are also changing because the people are on the move walking.

I have seen them where you intentionally screw with the sizes of squares to fake out the perception of how far away something is, even twirl the pattern down a hall or have then entire room tilted so that what is square and level is wrong.

A good one doesn't have to be considered a classic or something from history that used to be popular if it is done right. The floor has to have this pattern as well to be right. Not black light as they will not go on and off but UV lighting that will come on and go off can be used, or just go to colored gels on the strobe on white and black.

The checkers are generally large like 8 or 10 inch or 12 inch tiles. Not like the Harlequin checker board pants. Even the face make up becomes half and half each color and the place where someone stands is rehearsed and has references to be able to blend in.
              sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

We've done an all black room with white polka-dots and a strobe and an all black room with flourescent polka-dots and a black light, both with great success.
                Like a midget at a urinal, you gotta be on your toes

http://www.wellstownshiphauntedhouse.com

Comment

Well we figured it out checkered person in checkered bodysuit/face. The walls are checkered with checkers going in all directions 1.5" squares and a strobe we also made the checkers textured to give it a look as you don't know that someone is covered in checkers.

Comment

Working...
                  X