No announcement yet.

Huge problem at Michigan Haunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, just when you think the Tigers are done the best pitcher in baseball throws a complete game shutout to propel them to the ALCS. Ugg! And so it continues and our numbers will be affected now for sure!
    1986-1997 (Mutilation Mansion,) 1998 (Screamers Haunted House,) 1999 (Evil Intention Haunted House,) 2000-2001 Concept Creator/Business Partner (Urban Legends Haunted House,) 2002 Floor Plan Designer and Consultant for a (Haunted Barn) Owners had city challenges & were never able to open, 2002 Floor Plan Designer/Construction (Fright Nights Haunted House) 2003-2012 Now retired Owner (Deadly Intentions Haunted Attraction)

Comment

Just be glad you only have one team in your market. I'm in the unique and unfortunate position of having two playoff starved teams in my market, both with elimination games on a Friday night! I can't think of anyone else in such a
      precarious position of dealing with not one but two teams at once.

Allan

Comment

I know I'm going a bit off topic... I thought I was up on my MI haunts, but I can't figure out who the "haunt with the gimmick" is? Anyone want to PM me?
        Haunt: DARK REALMS

Day job: Game Composer/Sound Designer

My "geek rock" band: Legendary nOObs

Comment

SC

Haunts around me in South Carolina are down 50%. But on the other hand dozens of new haunted trails have appeared. Our past exit surveys say if you go to a good haunt you will go to three over halloween. If you start out at a lousy haunt - you just stay home.
          George Maser 864-761-7223, masertents@gmail.com. For the fastest response please call or text! (I talk much better than I type)

Comment

Allan, you are not alone. Giants 30 miles west, A's 30 miles north. Gotta thank the Halloween gods the A's were eliminated last night! I had terrible visions of '89 with a Giants/A's World Series

Originally posted by MDKing View Post
            Just be glad you only have one team in your market. I'm in the unique and unfortunate position of having two playoff starved teams in my market, both with elimination games on a Friday night! I can't think of anyone else in such a
            precarious position of dealing with not one but two teams at once.
            http://www.piratesofemerson.com

Comment

Originally posted by Allen H View Post
              Howie, look at the nights games were. The Rangers killed us the past two years. Even if the games are over they still drank during the game or want to talk about it. I bet it is the games. The Cardinals kicked Larry's but last year too.
              this.

Time doesn't much matter, money was spent, beers were swilled, if they stopped anywhere on the way home it was a sportsbar.

Follow up because I would wager that the remaining Friday and Saturdays without games will outpace last years same date comparison. People who have it on their "agenda" to come see you will still do it. At least I hope this is the case, hope you make up for the sputter.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl Fields View Post
                Allan, you are not alone. Giants 30 miles west, A's 30 miles north. Gotta thank the Halloween gods the A's were eliminated last night! I had terrible visions of '89 with a Giants/A's World Series

I stand corrected Karl I forgot about your market having two teams. I feel your pain. The O's just lost but its probably to late tonight. Now I need the Nats out! Good luck Karl!

Allan

Comment

We're in a college town. I'm SURE the game impacted us + the state fair got here this past week. We're down in comparison too so I'm hoping with our loss the other night, future game times being in our favor, and payday being today that the next two weekends freaking rock!! Sad to hear the industry is down, but glad to know it's not just us!!
                  O'Shawn McClendon
                  Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

Comment

Lets just say!

Originally posted by Dark Tiki Studios View Post
                    I know I'm going a bit off topic... I thought I was up on my MI haunts, but I can't figure out who the "haunt with the gimmick" is? Anyone want to PM me?

Lets just say there is only haunt in Pontiac MI that says you can win double your money back if you defeat the wizard (HA HA HA HA HA HA HA) oh did I say that?

Good luck finding the wizard

Comment

Well, as the season nears it's end, nothing has improved very much. This will by far be our worst year attendance wise. With 5 days left I predict being down 35% from last year which was not great either. Last night was one our worst Friday's ever! If any Michigan haunt says that they are having a good season, I would say they are lying! I have talked to several local haunts who have all said the same thing. We had many customers on different nights tell us that this haunt or that haunt was already closed when they arrived including one of the best known haunts in the area tonight.

I was willing to blame a lot of this year on the Tigers run and the weather which has rained at least one day every weekend so far. But tonight the temp was in the upper 40's with no rain and the Tigers were not playing. I expected to do close to 900 people tonight which would have been about average for us on the last Friday of the month based on the last 9 years. We did way less than that. Steady all night but never busy.

It will take a miracle for me to even break even this year. We have always made a decent profit.

How is it with any other Michigan haunts? Will anyone claim to be having a good year? What about the rest of the country? I am truly afraid that it may be the end for many haunts in my state after this year as two have already contacted me asking if I would be interested in buying their haunts or any of their props.

Is it just the economy? That is my only explanation. Is this the beginning of the end for haunted attractions? I have never seen anything like this in 26 years and I am very concerned about our industry as a whole after this year.
                      1986-1997 (Mutilation Mansion,) 1998 (Screamers Haunted House,) 1999 (Evil Intention Haunted House,) 2000-2001 Concept Creator/Business Partner (Urban Legends Haunted House,) 2002 Floor Plan Designer and Consultant for a (Haunted Barn) Owners had city challenges & were never able to open, 2002 Floor Plan Designer/Construction (Fright Nights Haunted House) 2003-2012 Now retired Owner (Deadly Intentions Haunted Attraction)

Comment

Catching up

I at first did not see this post do to my frantic hustle to try to make ends meat''LOL''. My year has been an atom bomb to the head. I had ''killer'' marketing and most of that ended up being nothing. I still have not made the marketing money back. I know my website hurt me but most of my costumers find me in the westword off there map in the paper. I am the one who sells tickets so I ask questions when people come to my booth. It also looks like my website is not doing to bad because most of my sales have come from pre sold tickets[but in the booth most of the costumers say they found me on the map in westword]. I have spread over 10000 flyers on my off time. People like my show but it just seems like its not my time yet and maybe I should wait till things pick up. I really feel your pain and I feel the vets deserve the big numbers because you have spent the years of sacrifice to make it happen. P.S. I have also noticed the decor for halloween crazy low like some of the support is lacking.

Comment

There has been a definite pause in all businesses and I think it is some weird uncertainty with who is going to be president. That isn't propably going to make much of a difference in the end but, who is going to be taxed more or who is going to lose free benefits and who is going to have to all of a sudden pay for health care for employees has any luxury and entertainment spending on hold. Everyone is going to need that last $20 for when they come out of their bunkers in November. At least if you go with all the things the talk radio and TV news are going on about.

The old dudes seem to thing this happens every 4 years.
                          sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

I placed a very frank poll on our web site. I am interested to see what our customers and other industry people think is the reason.

Comment

Not that it makes ya feel better.

I have tripled my advertising, reviews are AWESOME, Facebook likes are 5 times what I was at last year, we expanded, I'm down 40%. I have gone through numerous emotions and I have 3 nights left. What am I going to do....I'm going to enjoy my last 3 nights and remember why I built this place in the beginning. I will refocus my energy after the season, strive forward, and get wasted at Transworld and the Legendary Haunt Tour. Am I going to lose money? A shit load. But, in my eyes it is a business. And any business is a risk. I have made money and I have lost money. But I am proud of the fact that I am willing to role the dice. I believe most people on this forum feel the same. I will tell you what I am not going to do...Quit. What it all comes down to for me is 10:30 am today a guy and his family walked up to me and said; " Hey Buck. You run hat haunted house right? We thought it was absolutely amazing. We can't wait to see what you come up with next year. Thanks for a Great evening. You guys are awesome!"

Relax. It's only a movie.

Love ,
                              Buck
                              Capt.Chaos
                              Fear Asylum Haunted House
                              Brookings,SD

fear-asylum.com

Comment

Working...
                              X