Flexible sprayfoams as Smooth-on...etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flexible sprayfoams as Smooth-on...etc

I didn't see a whole lot of info on the forum regarding flexible foam fills for molds/sculptures..(including spray-on ..etc) such as the foam Ed uses as Distortions. This is probably aimed toward vendors, but, I just wanted to start a dicussion on experiences, resources, most affordable websites for purchasing...

there really is not a flexible spray foam, they just never show him mixing it. It is an A/B mix. Foam is referred to by its density, foam that weighs 3lbs in a 1ft x 1ft cube is called 3lb foam. there is 5lb, 8lb, and 10lb foam. I have seen 1lb and 20lb foam but they are rare.
    smooth-on is a good source as well as www.bitymoldsupply.com
    www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

I'm wondering what they are painting the clay with on the Making Monsters program. It is sometimes red, brown or orange. A very nice surface on water based clay.
      sigpic

Another fabulous post from the U.S.Department of Wild Imaginings, now in spectaclar stereo, sponsored by the Adhesives and Sealants Council, suggesting ways to stick things together since the 1800s. Not fabulous in a gay way. Your results may vary. Illinois residents add 8% sales tax. These posts have been made by professional post makers, do not try this type of posting on your own without extensive training, lovely assistants and a trusty clown horn.

Comment

It is just spraypaint Greg, just a barrier between the clay and plaster. any kind but enamel.
        www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

I'm building a few props and need to animate them, so flexibility and durability is ut-most important. Thanks for website reference Allen, seems pretty good variety. Maybe Kevin over at GG, might have some recommendations... I know these foams absorb moister a bit, so, curious as to difference of mixing for indoor/outdoor usage...etc

Comment

It is best if the foam doesn't have to flex. cover the joints with another material.
            And if you are using the foam outside you need to SEAL the foam. Most foams are open cell even if they are self skinning. They will absorb water.
            Kevin R. Alvey
            info at gore-galore.com
            www.gore-galore.com
            www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
            www.youtube.com/goregalore13
            www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

If your making foam filled props for outdoors I would not recommend using any open-cell foam. Open-cell foam is what cheap sponges are made of so even if you seal it any crack tear or missed spot will suck up water and in time ruin your prop.

Like Kevin said use something else for joints. Most of the time Distortions sprays in a latex coating first then applies the foam for filler. Kevin also mentions self skinning foams which are ones that don't require a latex base and make a pretty nice outside skin. Those come in both rigid and flex foam.

If your looking for cheap foam, let me know when you find it cause I've never seen any foam that is cheap. Have to admit, I've never looked too hard since I keep my products small on purpose.

Foam that is used to fill boat cavities is always closed foam so you might want to look for foam at those types of sites.

Lastly, when working with any of this kind of stuff, don't forget the respirator, glasses & gloves. Do as I say not as I do. haha

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
              Regards,
              Jeff Londos
              Monster-Tronics
              Innovators in Haunt Technologies
              www.Monster-Tronics.com
              Proud Member of the Halloween and Haunt Vendor Association
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpYFWm4BNmc

Comment

Working...
              X