Does Your Haunt Use REAL Weapons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Your Haunt Use REAL Weapons?

Does your haunt use real weapons? I understand some haunts do and do not use real weapons for many reasons. Some haunt producers are very skeptic with using real hammers, chainsaws, etc. and like to stick to props. I personally would only handover one to someone who has experience and is familiar with using that type of stuff. Whats your opinion? Is this a good or bad idea for haunts?

I'd say no. I've got some actors that I've known for years and trust, but I would never allow anything that could put them or the attractions guest in any kind of potential danger no matter what the scare. There is nothing worth getting someone hurt or killed. You can make alternative safe weapons that look just as real, so why put yourself, the attraction, the actors and/or guest in that kind of danger. No matter how well you know, trust, or train an actor, accidents WILL happen. Ask yourself if there is any scare that's worth almost killing one of your actors or guest. But at the end of the day, it's your insurance policy and attorney fee's, so it's up to you.
    News and event coverage from directly inside the Haunt Industry - http://www.hauntersdigest.com
    Get a Website and/or Mobile App for Your Attraction - http://www.charlesterry.com

Comment

Agreed. The farthest our haunt goes is chainsaws with a removed chain. No scare is worth harming another person. Very well said!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Casillas View Post
        Does your haunt use real weapons? I understand some haunts do and do not use real weapons for many reasons. Some haunt producers are very skeptic with using real hammers, chainsaws, etc. and like to stick to props. I personally would only handover one to someone who has experience and is familiar with using that type of stuff. Whats your opinion? Is this a good or bad idea for haunts?
        I'd chalk this up as a bad idea all around.

I certainly wouldn't want to insure a haunt using real weapons. It seems like an unnecessary risk. As a patron, I find it to be a negative as well. I've been to a haunt using real guns with blanks, and always felt that was a part of their show better removed.
        sigpic

There are three rules to designing a haunt. Unfortunately, nobody knows what they are.

Haunt: www.ScarecrowTheater.com

Comment

Some times real weapons can really add to the scare factor. Nothing like when a real axe scrapes across the floor and you get sparks. The customers look like "Oh Sh*t that's real." It can be done in a safe manner. Just don't do it right on top of the customers. Accidents can happen for sure, but it can be done safely by the right person to great effect. I have used real weapons in my attractions for 26 year without a single incident. However, I make sure the person is responsible and are closely supervised. I know people will think I am horrible and bad for the industry because of my opinion but sometimes you have to push the envelope to stand out from the crowd.
          1986-1997 (Mutilation Mansion,) 1998 (Screamers Haunted House,) 1999 (Evil Intention Haunted House,) 2000-2001 Concept Creator/Business Partner (Urban Legends Haunted House,) 2002 Floor Plan Designer and Consultant for a (Haunted Barn) Owners had city challenges & were never able to open, 2002 Floor Plan Designer/Construction (Fright Nights Haunted House) 2003-2012 Now retired Owner (Deadly Intentions Haunted Attraction)

Comment

Originally posted by Howie Slobber Erlich View Post
            Some times real weapons can really add to the scare factor. Nothing like when a real axe scrapes across the floor and you get sparks. The customers look like "Oh Sh*t that's real." It can be done in a safe manner. Just don't do it right on top of the customers. Accidents can happen for sure, but it can be done safely by the right person to great effect. I have used real weapons in my attractions for 26 year without a single incident. However, I make sure the person is responsible and are closely supervised. I know people will think I am horrible and bad for the industry because of my opinion but sometimes you have to push the envelope to stand out from the crowd.
            Not at all! I agree, any actors handling real weapons do not interact with any guests going through the haunt. Its always good to take it one step forward and really make things pop! Your opinion is GOOD for the industry! Lovin' the replies I am getting.

Comment

Mix it up!

We use a mix. In close situations, where the potential for injury is high, we use props. But in other situations, and in the right hands, we use real weapons. I agree there is nothing more terrifying than realizing that the machete being pointed at you is in fact real! And of course, nothing like the sound of a chainsaw firing up and chasing you through the woods!
              Travis "Big T" Russell
              President
              Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

Working...
              X