New Idea for the Week... Actors Rooms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Idea for the Week... Actors Rooms

Today my partner and I were talking ... we came up with a really cool idea. We have some televisions on wall mounts just sitting around and ...

We came up with the idea of putting two or three mounted on the walls in our actors rooms. We will play all of these actor make up videos we have laying around... we have some from Castle Blood, we have another from the guys at Screamline and so on. We might even play some gory horror movies on another television.

Something to put the actors in the right frame of mind and something that inspires them!!!

What does everyone think? Hang some televisions HIGH and while they put on their costumes or make up they watch these videos.

Give me some feedback folks.

Larry
    Larry Kirchner
    President
    www.HalloweenProductions.com
    www.BlacklightAttractions.com
    www.HauntedHouseSupplies.com
    www.HauntedHouseMagazine.com

I would think it would be more of a distraction than anything. We are usually in such a hurry trying to get everyone ready by opening that having them watching TV would only make matters worse. There is at least once a year that we have an evening Ohio State footbabll game to contend with. Those are the worst nights for getting everyone ready.

To create a "mood" I usually put together a makeup room CD of themed music (Zombie, Alice Cooper, etc...) that we listen to while getting ready.

Comment

????

While you are open??????
      Larry I thought you had good attendance? LOL

I could see doing what we do Before the season, 2 months before we open
      Movie night
      Make up night
      Working on costume night and so on
      But not while we are open
      Gee could it get any better than this?

Comment

Give your actors the task of mounting the TVs up there on the wall and the back-breaking BS of holding something while someone else looks for the right bolt or screw will put them in a real foul mood, just right to be a snarly monster! hahahahah!
        "Mommy, how come Daddy is always so groutchy when he comes home from work and says he can't play with me because something hurts?"
        ("I hope he feels better by 10:30", Mommy thinks.)

I think I would test the help, install one of the TVs upside-down and see if anyone notices?
        "Bat-Boy" would like it, and trully appreciate it!
        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

I have a lot of younger helpers during the summer to help with re-painting and building scenes. Unfortunately their skill level only goes so high, so a lot of times I have nothing for them to do. In such instances I send them to the costume/make-up room to watch a instructional video or a Hauntworld tape. I figure they might as well be learning if they can’t help. This works for all of 10-20 minutes, before they loose interest and I hear them laughing and talking somewhere else in the haunt. To young un-obsessed haunted house crews watching Hauntworlds and instructional DVDs is about exciting as watching paint dry. And, during the season they are so jazzed up, that I can’t imagine anything on a tube even being noticed.
          Barry’s music idea sounds good to me. Our make-up people usually have the tunes cranked up, and everyone seems to enjoy it.
          sigpic
          Louis Brown
          Owner, operator, and dish washer
          at
          DarkWood Manor

Comment

I like the idea.
            Here's a thought, maybe clips from past shows (highlights) with added soundtrack from whatever music that would help?

Or maybe playing past Rotting Flesh Radio shows?
            Thanks, Jeff
            www.thefrighteners.com

www.IronStock.com
            www.HauntForum.com
            www.MidWestHauntersConvention.com

Comment

Vineyard had a gun arcade game. I plan to have my own game collection in there. Great for breaks as well. Party atmosphere. Wont get used much during makeup time, but there are only so many tiny dressing rooms and makeup mirrors, so everyone else is bored or talking or chilling. Keep the actors happy.
              The word for the day is NPD. Check it out.

Comment

Larry, maybe use the TV’s for the cue line. You could show a horror movie, or make a small movie of your haunt to give customer’s a sneak peak of your haunt, advertise sponsors on the TV’s, and or have the rules of the haunt posted on the TV’s. You could do some other things to it just takes some brainstorming.

Brian

Comment

Last year I tried the same with a portably DVD player and stopped bringing it by the third or fourth night. Sure it's not like a huge screen or anything, just no one really had the time to watch it. Actors are usually chatting or getting into costume and the makeup volunteers and workers are just too busy. Maybe if it was just on all the time it would soak in as background information, I don't know.

For the upcoming season I am thinking cut together clips of great horror movie acting over the years and play that to push into your actors minds eye ideas to seed into their characters. Nothing Bela classic, more outtakes from the original Texas Chainsaw type classic..... so while they are sitting there the background mindset feed is one of intense quality horror acting....
                  http://www.innerfears.com/
                  http://www.innerfearshauntedhouse.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Haunt
                    Larry, maybe use the TV’s for the cue line. You could show a horror movie, or make a small movie of your haunt to give customer’s a sneak peak of your haunt, advertise sponsors on the TV’s, and or have the rules of the haunt posted on the TV’s. You could do some other things to it just takes some brainstorming.

Brian
                    I was actually gonna do that this year. When my patrons have a 2 hour wait, this just keep them occupied for a while. On top of what you wrote Brian, I'm gonna try to take a feed from my cameras inside the haunt, in various rooms. I will place the cameras where some really good scares are, and the people wiating outside will see a live feed from the people inside getting scared. These will be placed in a way- not to give away the scare, so that when those people that watched are walking through, they wont be able to recognize the scene as they are approaching it.

A friend mentioned that at the end of the haunt, I can have someone selling photos of the patrons getting scared, much like what Six Flages does on their rollr coasters.

Now, this will take a lot of planning and careful timing, so we catch the correct group to sell to. But it could end up being a descent money maker.
                    Brad Bowen
                    Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
                    www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

And Larry, heres my 2 cents. Make this room seperate from the acutall makeup room. During makeup before the show, usually everyone is running around frantic trying to get everything ready. What I think, is once the first few actors get their makeup finished, this room is where they can relax and get in the mood before opening time. As other actors get their makeup finished, they mingle into this room. Once all actors are finished and everyone is in this room, thats when you can see everyone in costume, and give them a pep talk or whatever.
                      Also, this can be their break room, when they take their 15 or 20 minute break.
                      Brad Bowen
                      Owner/Operator of the Ultimate Fear Haunted House in Shreveport, LA
                      www.ultimatefear.net

Comment

Larry,

I think that I have a hard enough time keeping everyone focused and getting them in make-up on time to open. The televisions, in theory, would be a good idea but I woud monitor it carefully and shut them off if it seemed to be too distracting. Like I said, having all the actors in there talking and eating and what not is tough enough to contend with without another distraction. If it worked the way that you see it working, that would be a really nice thing to have. If nothing else, I think that I would find it inspirational.
                        Kip Polley
                        www.palenight.com

Pale Night Productions
                        We Engineer Fear

Comment

Thats what HHN does to pump everyone up.
                          Originally posted by Frighteners Entertainment
                          I like the idea.
                          Here's a thought, maybe clips from past shows (highlights) with added soundtrack from whatever music that would help?

Or maybe playing past Rotting Flesh Radio shows?
                          Giving People The Chills Since 2005

http://www.warehouse31.com

Comment

Don't you people understand? TV and Movies are our competition!!
                            ("Why am I standing in line here when I could be home watching TV?")
                            ("Oh, yah! I forgot! The "Game" is on tonight!")
                            ("So these guys spent $1.98 on their effects and I was just bored by a 6o-million dollar movie's special effects...why am I here again?")
                            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Brad I like your idea with the camera's inside the haunt playing live footage on the TV's in the cue line.

Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X