No announcement yet.

How do we do flying actors???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well by mid season I feel like throwing them off the roof and watching fly but I'm guessing thats not what you mean, lol

Comment

I know I should keep my opinion to myself but personally I don't get the appeal. I saw them doing it a lot at one I went to and thought, "look, there's a dude swinging on a wire." At no time did it even remotely look like flying to me. Just a dude swinging on a wire. He could have been swinging on a kids' playground swing for more effect. To each his own scare I guess.

Comment

Here is who I get mt harnesses from now.
        http://www.attackopgear.com/category...Harnesses.html
        I used to use the $50 ones from northern tool, but they are super unfomfortable.
        shoot for 2000lb test on all your cables and hardware. A 200lb actor jumping into position can make 3Gs easy turning him into a 600lb weight.
        If you can, consult a pro- if you cant then I wouldnt do it.
        Allen H
        www.Stiltbeaststudios.com
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Stiltbea...s?feature=mhee

Comment

We "Flew".

The location was a concrete basement with a high ceiling, concrete posts holding up the ceiling , all built around 1925?
          We used a heavy, thick steel cable, pulley, a tree-trimmer's harness, a heavy bulky thing that was!
          Nobody fell, we scared some people because it was totally unexpected for anyone to be flying. With a little practise at launching ones self you could fly straight enough long enough to make that effect, and it was dark enough to hide the massive-sized cable(s)
          We walked groups through the Grave yard, our Vampire would fly up behind them but not over them as he "bombed" the graveyard, returning a bloody torso, since he was now done with it.
          One young girl was scared, impressed and it was only years later she discovered the Vampire was her Brother, their Dad owned the building.
          It was the Mt. Carroll JC's Haunted House, about 400 years ago, it seems like...
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Nice rigging.

The harness seems a bit pricey. $500 is more inline with that form of harness (I own two of this style). The company that rigs Peter Pan is Peter Foy, of Flying by Foy. He actually patented his system for that production and sells a complete rig for theaters doing Peter Pan.

Aircraft cable is what we use in theater for fly rigs because of its strength, and its black. Its the connections that will kill someone. Please make sure you have someone that really knows what they are doing when they attach the cables to the rig. Rigging is a science, and while it may seem like its simple there are a lot of things to consider.

All that being said, this is a cool looking rig and I wish I had the ceiling space for an effect like this one. Really cool guys.
            Travis "Big T" Russell
            President
            Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

best flying actors I've ever seen were at THE BATES MOTEL hayride................(PA.

those guys come outta the trees in the total darkness and swoop down on the hayride. incredible !!!!! find out what those guys use.

Comment

The wall walking rig I-beam style

These pictures are from Bob Shaw or Ravenwood haunt. I can't get in touch with him, I think he might not be doing Ravenwood any longer. He built this version of the wall walker based on my barndoor track. And like most everyone on here changed the harness too. We emailed back and forth a while with ideas and pics. The following pictures are the final results.
                FYI, the rope was for testing only, and notice the rig could either be used for flying or walking on the wall. None of the pictures are photoshopped.

harness1-sm.jpg

I-beam-sm.jpg

trolly-2-sm.jpg

Trolly-I-Beam-sm.jpg

Test With Rope2.jpg
                RIP

~The Imagineer~

Andrew de Ruiter

Download part 1 of Andrew's Black Book of ideas for haunts here:
                http://www.epubbud.com/book.php?g=EGQDK8HZ

Comment

Originally posted by imagineer View Post
                  These pictures are from Bob Shaw or Ravenwood haunt. I can't get in touch with him, I think he might not be doing Ravenwood any longer. He built this version of the wall walker based on my barndoor track. And like most everyone on here changed the harness too. We emailed back and forth a while with ideas and pics. The following pictures are the final results.
                  FYI, the rope was for testing only, and notice the rig could either be used for flying or walking on the wall. None of the pictures are photoshopped.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14086[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14087[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14088[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14089[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14090[/ATTACH]
                  That's ridiculous!! How cool would this be after walking through a vortex tunnel and everything is nailed to the walls? Trippy.
                  O'Shawn McClendon
                  Creative Chair -- Operator: Cayce-West Columbia Hall of Horrors

One mans junk is another mans kick-ass new prop...

http://www.hallofhorrors.com

http://twitter.com/hallofhorrors

http://cwchallofhorrors.blogspot.com

http://www.youtube.com/hallofhorrors

http://www.myspace.com/cwcjc_hallofhorrors

Comment

I need to check with our supplier but we carry a heavy duty certified and licensed superman harness (Belly down harness) for flying overhead prone. and no where near $5000.
                    And we also sell the barn door tracks in 8' lengths so we can ship them UPS.
                    We setup a flying rig for House of Horrors. We also did 2 for "Scarywood" in Athol Idaho and we added Screamcubes to the harnesses. Both said the effect scared the crap out of customers.
                    We can provide custom lengths of cable.
                    The most important thing about a system like this is redundant safeties so even if the system fails the actor can't fall.
                    We have also seen problems with the tracks opening up but we discovered that the tracks were not being installed correctly.
                    SO, if you do something like this be sure and do it right.
                    Kevin R. Alvey
                    info at gore-galore.com
                    www.gore-galore.com
                    www.halloweenmusicgalore.com
                    www.youtube.com/goregalore13
                    www.facebook.com/goregalore

sigpic

Comment

jim when u were young, flying actors were shot out of circus cannons

Comment

Originally posted by rshorts View Post
                        Hey guys, thought I'd chime in again here. Couple of VERY general rules about ANYTHING flying - at least in the theatre biz. If it falls and won't kill you, use a safety factor of 5x. If it falls and it can kill you, use a safety factor of 10x. In other words, a 30# curtain should be hung by something with a working load limit of at least 150#, and a piece of scenery, or a person should be rigged with something 10x. Like a 200# piece of scenery should be rigged with something with a working load limit of 2000#. You cannot be too safe when you are flying someone or something. And, every rigger I know will only use equipment marked and made in the USA. Some of the stuff from China is much less expensive, but they don't trust the real WLL's of it, since there is less oversight in the manufacturing and testing processes. I don't mean to be a pest, but in my business, this is one of the most dangerous aspects of what we do, so I thought I'd share some of what I know.

BTW - that barn door rig looks super cool!

Randy
                        DITTO.
                        I have theatre rigging experience too. Always consult pros before doing any rigging. There are several companies that host rigging and fall protection training classes from time to time, such as Tomcat. I'd recommend checking one out.
                        http://www.tomcatglobal.com/training.html
                        There are other companies that offer training, but the theme park I used to work for would send its theatre guys to tomcat.

Comment

IS there a company that makes a set up for this?

Comment

IS there a company that makes a set up for this?

Comment

Working...
                            X