Outdoor/Indoor insane asylum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outdoor/Indoor insane asylum

I read on this forum of people doing an asylum room but what about a full themed haunt, indoor, outdoors, trails, open field. What types of things besides actors in white coats will we definitely need? What ideas are good for the outdoor portion? Thanks

Asylum haunts...

I know of a few haunts that are entirely themed as an insane asylum;
    Asylum in Denver
    Pennhurst in PA
    I think there's one in Vegas but can't remember the name
    Terror Behind the Walls in Philly is technically prison themed but you could draw some inspiration from it in some aspects

There's also lots of haunts that have a section themed as an asylum;
    13th Floor San Antonio's last few scenes
    13th Gate's first "gate" after the elevator ride (VERY well done!)
    Knotts had an asylum maze up through last year
    Atrox factory has a medical scene (very creative use of old-school railings)
    Disturbia has a madical/science lab scene if I remember right
    Darkness's infirmary/morgue scene would be great inspiration set-design wise even through it's set in a mortuary not an asylum
    Cutting Edge has a few medical scenes which are pretty neat
    100 Acres Manor has a hospital portion
    SCREAMS south of Dallas has an Asylum haunt

I think of insane asylums as being a blend of hospital and prison, so you could easily incorperate any scene you would find in either of these settings into the haunt in addition to padded rooms and the other strictly asylum themed rooms. Overally, I think it would be a fairly inexpensive theme to do well indoors, but it would cost you a LOT to do the outdoor portions realistically and detailed. My reccomendation would be to have the asylum haunt indoors and then do a haunted trail with a different theme, plus then you get the marketting benefit of 2 haunts in one.

As far as scenes go, there should be plenty that you could choose from. Keep in mind that each could be used more than once if you just switched around the props and layout;
    -Receptionsist's desk
    -Prison bars
    -Medical/surgery room
    -Morgue
    -Bedrooms
    -Freezer
    -Electric chair/shock therapy
    -Dental surgery
    -Padded room
    -Staff break room
    -Various hallways
    -Storage rooms
    -Showers/bathrooms
    -Etc, etc, etc

Hope this helps!

-Collin
    *Sigh*I can't wait til' October

Comment

Thanks those ideas helped alot to get the wheels in motion for 2013.

Thanks again

Comment

insane asylum

I have a full themed asylum. I also have a elevator that takes them into the sewer/boiler portion of the haunt. I am looking at adding a outdoor portion this season that will be like a hospital "tranquility" garden. I plan on calling it The garden of Despair. Lots of folige,statues,fountains,and of course hell on earth.

I just got back from Legendary haunt Tour and the 13th gate has an AWESOME asylum portion. I agree. Very well done. It inspired me in what direction to go with mine.

Cost wise: Im in my 4th year in a building I own. About 8000 sqft and 35% is up permament. I have a large amount of detail in my haunt and a fair amount of high end props/fx/costuming. I am at about $100k not including the building.

Good luck. Hope that helps.

Buck
        fear-asylum.com
        Capt.Chaos
        Fear Asylum Haunted House
        Brookings,SD

fear-asylum.com

Comment

I Dunno?

I have always thought to have an asylum haunt, that you would have to be crazy.
          hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
          X