No announcement yet.

Attn haunters!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the lower price, but does that mean lower quality ?

Comment

Chauvet fog machines are a joke. Wait until the haunt owners who have lost hundreds if not thousands on these fog machines that last less than a year speak up. I've had their small ones up through the F-1700, and my 12 year old radio shack fogger outlasted them. The 1700 crapped out in under 8 months, and others here (including Sue from Graystone in Texas) have these laying around because the compressors just stopped working. Sorry to be the negative nancy, but spend your money on a Martin, and grin ear to ear knowing they'll outlast most cars.
      Last edited by NightmareAftershockLLC; 11-14-2012, 07:07 PM.

Comment

As much as I respect your opinion, I've carried DOZENS of different foggers over the years between haunting and DJ-ing, and have ALWAYS kept an open mind and have been willing to try new and different machines.

That being said, I feel that the Chauvet machines are highly comparable to American DJ, and some of the Martin machines IF they're taken care of.

Overall, most foggers are VERY similar in construction, it's the companies customer service, availability, and willingness to sell/provide replacement parts that makes all the difference in the world.

I've had an off brand fogger for a few years now, it came with a wireless remote and a wired timer (can be used interchangeably), and it's a VERY high output (can't remember off the top of my head but it's over 2000watts) but I've babied it, and taken care of it and it's been making me money and costumers happy for quiet a while!

Fog machines typically fail due to poor upkeep or use on behalf of the person operating them. That isn't to say that some machines are just junk and every now and then you get a bad egg, it happens with everything, and is something you can't use to discredit a whole group.

Usually people complain about cheaper foggers (like the chauvet ones you've described) because they buy them first, and beat them up (kinda like your first car), and then you get the mindset that the foggers suck, and go out and buy a more expensive one from another company, but this time you learned from the fogger you killed and take better care of this more expensive one (even if you don't realize you're doing it...it could be entirely subconscious), and it just so happens to last longer. Buy a $500 machine, take great care of it, and then buy a $60 machine and take all the same care of it, and chances are they'll have the same sort of lifespan.

Comment

I just don't have the time or energy to get into a debate. I've dj'd for many years with a fully digital laptop setup, Dmx foggers and the like. And I can tell you, confidently, that chauvet is cheap garbage, their customer service sucks, and they (as well as their off-brand Antari) make some of the junkiest foggers in the land. I visited Sue. She had 2 Chauvets laying around because they stopped a MONTH after using them. The Martins? Same use, same everything, still running strong. An Martin has a warranty too. Know what chauvet told me after 8 months of my 1700? I had to pay for repairs, and shipping both ways to their Florida HQ. No thanks. Chauvet makes great LED lights (provided you aren't using them for 23.97 HD video) and wonderful laser modules, but the fog industry has been dominated by Martin and higher end companies that stand behind their product.

You will also notice that chauvet foggers tend to have a "burning" smell to them. There was a huge debacle 3-4 years ago where they even admitted to having controller issues where they wouldn't modulate the temperature of their element, so unless you were using a constant flow, the element was essentially cooking the fog's glycerin.

Ask Froggys fog what company they recommend the most. Ask major haunted houses what fog machine they get the most use out of. 9 out of 10 people will say any company but chauvet. I've been dealing with them for 10 years, and short of par cans, lasers, and yoke fixtures, I'd steer clear of their foggers.

Again, I realize you aren't profiting from this post, which is what baffles me even more. Why support a product that you haven't used long term, and can't personally vouch for it?

Give them another 10 years and they might be where the other key players are. Otherwise, I'd go with more reputable companies.

Please don't take this as hostile, I just don't want people to make a mistake, and then THEY are the ones suffering financially, not you. Seems sort of unfair. Post a review after a full haunt season of use, and then we'll see how it fairs against others.

Take care.

Comment

It's all good, you're entitled to your opinion. I've used Chauvet foggers without issue during multiple haunt seasons, but maybe I've just had good luck. And I'll admit Chauvet's customer service blows, I'll never argue that lol, but I got to play with this machine and it was really cool! I'll leave it at that

Martin's Magnum 1800 is one of my favorite machines, btw, but they don't have a product like the one I first posted about. I'm looking forward to seeing the Blizzard Lighting version, I'm not too familiar with them but have heard good things.

Comment

Heh, didn't mean to start a debate or anything really. Just wanted to know if the Blizzard at a lower price would be as good as the Chauvet in your past experiences. Since these are brands I have heard of but never used myself.

Comment

Don't sweat it! People are allowed to have their own opinions lol, you have to go with what you think is right for you, not what I or anyone else say, just try to see through our conflicts and pull the info you need.

I have used a LOT of Chauvet products, and I tend to baby ALL of my equipment, and have not had any major problems with any products I've purchased from any brand, be it Chauvet, American DJ, Martin, Eliminator, etc, I've bought from most established companies, regardless of others reviews. That being said, I've never purchased from Blizzard, but most likely will, just to try them out.

In my opinion, from what I've seen in the Chauvet Geyser, it'd be a great product if used properly.

Blizzard hasn't even released photo/video of their similar effect yet, so I can't really compare.

Now I just have to buy both, THANKS BILL! :P

Comment

To comment on Blizzards build quality, I would say they are in line with American DJ/Chauvet... and sometimes (depending on the model of light) of better quality. Let's be honest most of the talked about LED Brands are all made in China (as is Blizzards). I personally like the Blizzard and ColorKey units better than the American DJ and Chauvet units. Selador and Elation (Static LED fixtures) are a step above these. Just my own opinion.
                  Bill Rod.
                  Dark Tech Effects
                  Automated DMX Lighting
                  Show Control - Audio / Visual Effects

Comment

Just one word: GENIUS!!!

C.

(gonna go over this thread with a fine tooth comb)

Comment

I know what you mean about babying them..watching the video where the unit was used on it's side and from above just screamed " WRONG " to me..lol I've been so anal about our care of various electronics and..well..EVERYTHING else.

Guess I'll wait to see a video of the Blizzard unit in action before deciding.

I actually just checked out Frightprops similar vase effect shown earlier. 800.00 !? Wow. From the video the Chauvet does look better than the vase at least.

Anyone think this is a better effect than a flamethrower unit ? We were thinking of adding one for the wow factor outdoors..but of course you have the safety factor to consider. This one doesn't have that problem.

Comment

If you put it on top of a facade, where patrons wouldn't normally feel the heat of a flamethrower, they'd never know the difference, it won't piss off your fire marshal and your insurance won't skyrocket lol.

Comment

From Blizzard:

"We should have the LED/fogger on the site as soon as we get our first production pieces in which should happen in the next week or so.

We have made a really good unit that allows color change control as well as movement of head via DMX along with normal fog functions.

We spent a lot of resources to make a good one."

Just thought I would pass it along. Will get everyone more info as soon as its available.
                          Bill Rod.
                          Dark Tech Effects
                          Automated DMX Lighting
                          Show Control - Audio / Visual Effects

Comment

Thanks Bill ! Really sounds like a good product.

Comment

One stop shopping!

Thanks for the tip Bobby, Zzounds looks like a great option for me as well since I am a musician as well as haunter! Now I can buy my my music gear and haunt effects from the same place!
                              Travis "Big T" Russell
                              President
                              Big T Productions Inc

Owner and Operator of "The Plague" and "Camp Nightmare"

Customer Quote of the year: "Damn, I pissed myself"

Comment

No problem, I use them ALL the time for DJ gear, be it a new mixer or speakers, and even headphones, mainly cause of their payments!! And let's be honest, sound equipment and lighting from any known brand is all pretty much the same.

But if you're able to pay upfront, Bill (beardedbil) can give some pretty great prices on brands and unlike Guitar Center and Sam Ash, who hire ignorant teens to sell their product, Bill is BEYOND knowledgeable and I can't say enough of the great service he's given me! That and he is a haunter lol so gotta support our fellow haunters!

Comment

Working...
                                X