"Moving" Floor Tiles and Hallways...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adam Calhoun View Post
    Could attempt to build a "frame" much like a wall frame, but have the edges set higher. Then fille the frame holes, or dead space with golf balls, then place a sheet of plywood cut to fit within the frame, I included a mockup made in Paint.. Nothing special, ill see if I can upload something better, hopefully you get the idea.

The Black would represent the raised edges of the frame, (put a sheet of plywood on bottom side as well), the red would represent some 2x'4s cut to length, and maybe use 2x2 pieces as the cross bars within the frame to seperate spaces of golf balls. It'd give the same effect, and would cost about... $25 at most, maybe less i you already had some plywood to use on it.Could then try somehow attaching handrails or building handrails maybe that somehow run off the wall or some better way to fit regulations. Anyway, I made one of these myself and it works great, Ive used it in home haunts, but as I will be moving to the Commercial Haunt level for the 2013 season. If you have any questions about this just ask!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14138[/ATTACH]
    This is actually very similar to how we were thinking about going about making these. Having a maybe 1x2 "lip" on top around the edge to keep the plywood that moves in place... Do the golf balls work well enough? With both rolling, and weight if more than one person was stepping on that spot at once... My boyfriend was thinking about different options, like castors on the plywood itself, or ball bearings. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Jennifer Kem View Post
      My boyfriend was thinking about different options, like castors on the plywood itself, or ball bearings. etc.
      Same principle as the golf balls. This is an excellent design. The handrails wouldn't need to be load bearing; just stabilizing.

The advantage of the golf balls is that they are easily available, and virtually free. Pretty much any thrift store setting, or perhaps dead balls from a golf driving range, and so on, that would work. The golf balls should be enough if you have enough of them. If you have enough balls, you should get enough weight distribution to make it work. The holes that hold the golf balls should be big enough so that the golf balls can freely move around an inch or so so that they can get the whole floor section moving. Test the design out small scale. YMMV.

C.

Comment

as for the "lip" I just used a 2x4 . So basically the frame made with 2x4's on there side(taller), then the red lines along the EDGE would be 2x4 laid flat and use 2x2's as your crossing section, with the 2x4 laid flat again down the middle. This would allow your Golf Balls to roll freely, it'd be like racking a pool table but taking out 1 or two of the balls in it, they would move freely like that, but not so few as to it not being able to support the wood on top. I will get you a picture of this tomorrow and send it to you, please PM me your email.
        http://limbohaunt.com
        Twitter: @LimboHaunt

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Calhoun View Post
          I will get you a picture of this tomorrow and send it to you, please PM me your email.
          Or you could post it so we cold all benefit from it! I would definitely love to see it.

C.

Comment

Sounds good, I will definitely do that

Comment

Originally posted by BrotherMysterio View Post
              Or you could post it so we cold all benefit from it! I would definitely love to see it.

C.
              Righto ! :grin:

Comment

Now what youve all been waiting for!

Ok guys, sorry this took so long. I didnt realize that i'd already had this stuff send to Louisiana for a Haunt im building down there for next year. Anyways, Moral of the story, I didnt have the real one here. But I DID however Make you guys one in Microsoft Paint. I think it turned out really well, and it gives you a more visual concept. I put some details along with some measurements but of course you guys can make it however you wish. Anyways, Enjoy this and please let me know what you think! Obviously your more than welcome to make one of these, but please dont steal credit for my awesome Pic/ Plans

MovingFloorfinaladamcalhoun.png

Comment

Thank you! That definitely gives me a better idea of how it's done!

Comment

Originally posted by Jennifer Kem View Post
                    Thank you! That definitely gives me a better idea of how it's done!
                    I am soooo diggin' into this one!

C.

Comment

Glad you guys like it, If I can help you anymore, ill do my best, just let me know!

Comment

SOOOooo, nobody sees?

A trip-hazard in the 2 by 4s laying there with such deep edges? Some customers can trip on a mere shadow, and do!
                        Tolerences should be maintained (and created) by using something much thinner and more durable, like steel, which would require drilling and welding skills.(and tools)
                        An optical illusion over or near a flat, smooth floor surface can make people wobble or stagger, yet no 2 by 4 edges await their tailbone or chin.
                        Think and build assuming the world's unluckiest, clumbsiest customer will be coming through you place, then do your best and hope like hell they don't find their way to your door.
                        Keep the staggering, screaming drunks OUT completely and you will also see much better luck and SO many fewer problems.
                        hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Clearly this is just a model not a blueprint Jim. If you leave a 2x4 sitting out of nowhere then well you probably shouldnt be building things and should hire a contractor. This was just to show a simple method of this. Build ramps etc as you want on either side and it will fix that problem just fine. I made this model using microsoft PAINT so its not to scale. If your worried about a lip on the inside then use a thicker plywood or 2 sheets of it together to make up that "2 inches". Its a non issue, we've never had ANY problems with tripping. Obviously I dont leave a random 4x8 of prop just laying on the floor in the dark.

Comment

I Guess I need glasses?

It looked to me in a video shown here that it was constructed with heavy lips (trips)? 2 by 4 's , ex cetra. You illustrated a "simple method" which could be mistaken for an actual workable plan by some, since the "KISS" methodology is so oftern used="Keep It Simple, Stupid"
                            Darn those dark fuzzy videos?
                            I CAN BE WRONG! I freely and often admit. ( rare commodity, I know, but the right way to be.)
                            Last edited by Jim Warfield; 11-20-2012, 10:57 AM.
                            hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Sorry I hadnt seen any videos , If your talking about the FProps vidoes on this subject, those ive seen. Just thought those looked... well Not for me. haha.

Comment

A "Lexan" Floor

In the belly of a semi trailer haunt going down the road at 60 MPH would be my kind of scary moving floor!
                                hauntedravensgrin.com

Comment

Working...
                                X